Any hang gliders here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hang gliders here?

I've done a quick search and found a few aviation posts with the odd reference (thanks xphread and flyboy) but nothing dealing specifically with hang gliding.

Do any PSB'ers do it? I'm keen to get my license and interested in any advice that people have to offer. I have contacted a couple of schools etc, but interested to hear first hand stories/advice/comments/anything that will prevent me plummeting to an early demise.

Thanks!
    "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Tried it a couple of times. Dune gooning is great fun.

Be prepared for a lot of running. Then packing up your wing and climbing back up the hill. Then running again.

I'd contact the Western Soarers Club if you wish to do a training course.

Advice....don't be afraid of the ground. More hanglider pilots have been injured from flaring their machine too high than skidding in on their guts.

And remember (this is an old saying), there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.

One final thing, have you considered paragliding? Its very, very relaxing. That'll be my next venture after finishing my ultralight ticket.
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Cheers Flyboy. All knowledge is good knowledge! I have thought about paragliding but for me, hang gliding is more 'pure', birdlike etc. Paragliding is definitely not out the question though. I've done a couple of Cessna training flights and basically just enjoy being up there.

Thought this was pretty cool too: Plotting flights on google earth
      "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Unfortunately hang gliding isn't so popular here, for a similar reason that scuba diving isn't too popular in Alice Springs.

Comment

I'm assuming for the same reason that riding bikes here is not so great? Few mountains? I'm heading back east this year so plenty of mountains to be had :-)

Comment

yeah... that and the wind conditions to allow slope soaring. (our sea breezes often hit the hills fairly late.)

Over east obviously has the advantages for slope soaring. Plenty of hang gliding in the Glasshouse mountains in Qld. Not sure about the Blue mountains, but I should imagine its the same.

Comment

Working...
            X