Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any difference between cat5e and cat6 connectors

Hi,

is there any difference between an RJ45 jack for cat5E and cat6 cables or they exactly the same?

if difference, what is it??

The builder is fitting cat6 cable to my house but he can't get CAT6 HPM connectors.
    He askinformed that he will use Rg 45.
    Is there any difference between cat5e and cat6 connectors?
    You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

I don't think so Mr D.
    No difference in the connectors (8P8C), but I think the colour order of the cable itself is different.
    Won't make much difference functionally though.

Comment

I have cat 6 cabling in the house (cost difference was a few bucks), and wired up my own 5e connectors in the wall. Works a treat, and when I did my own research a few years ago they said it doesn't matter. Cat 6 only makes a slight difference over a really long cable or something.
      :stupid:

Comment

Yes, there is a difference. Cat6 uses thicker copper and insulation which helps in reducing near end cross talk - the CAT6 jacks are made to take this into account (the terminations are staggered on a Cat6 jack, but in a straight line on Cat5E).

If you use Cat6 cabling, but only Cat5E connectors on each end, the network is only going to be rated to Cat5E. Will it work? Yes. Will it make any real world difference in a home network? I highly doubt it.

Comment

It wont pass a cat6 certification but for home use cat6 is a bit like having a 2ft dick - It's great to brag about but you will never get to use all of it.

Comment

This a quote for experts

"Although Category 6 and Category 5e connectors may look alike, Category 6 connectors have much better transmission performance. For example, at 100 MHz, NEXT of a Category 5e connector is 43 decibels (d, while NEXT of a Category 6 connector is 54 dB. This means that a Category 6 connector couples about 1/12 of the power that a Category 5e connector couples from one pair to another pair. Conversely, one can say that a Category 6 connector is 12 times less "noisy" compared to a Category 5e connector. "

I am not sure if is going to make any difference?
            You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

I am certain if you need to ask this question that you wont notice the difference.
              Are you even using gigabit switches in your house?

Its something that can be upgraded in the future if it ever becomes an issue for very little cost, (as opposed to rewiring the house) which is why I am doing the same thing as you...
              Spending the extra 6c per metre on running Cat6 cable for the data connections is probably worth it(as opposed to Cat5e for the light switch points! shhh), but currently I have Cat5e connectors laying around that will be used instead of forking out for Cat6 ones.

To be honest.... future upgrades are likely to be straight to fibre-optic or wireless, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Unless you intend on running 10GBASE-T on your home network, it's not going to make a bee's dick of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by xphread View Post
                  ...as opposed to Cat5e for the light switch points! shhh...
                  Oh gawd, I hope you are running CBUS lighting in your place.

Comment

Only physical difference I can find is the way the cables are laid out in the connector part, probably due to the thicker casing around each wire. If you look closely (on the left) you can see the contact patch is still in the same spot for each cable though.

Cat6 vs Cat5
                    Tomorrow: A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation, and achievement is stored.

Avatar used with permission from Mekon

Comment

Yeh, physically they look very similar. However, They are different.

Comment

Bugger, when I smart-wired my house all we had was Cat-5, so I ran 800 metres of the stuff to all point on the compass. It was 12 years ago though, so that's my excuse.

It seems to run my domestic situation OK, but that's progress I guess.

Smart me, however, ensured that all wall boxed have conduit, so running new cable is a doddle!

Dead Man's Hand
                        Internationational Porter Protection Group
                        Just call me Pat

Comment

I just ordered cat 6 cabling and connectors from eBay. While this post is up anyone out there know to to make cat 6 cables and how to mount wall sockets, run cables in walls ?

Will throw some cash or booze your way for the troubles. All gear ordered just need the expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          The propeller is just a big fan in the front of the plane to keep the pilot cool. Want proof? Make it stop; then watch the pilot break out into a sweat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonik View Post
                            It wont pass a cat6 certification but for home use cat6 is a bit like having a 2ft dick - It's great to brag about but you will never get to use all of it.
                            yeah but if you had the choice, you'd obviously choose to have a 2ft dick, wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Squawk_Ident View Post
                              I just ordered cat 6 cabling and connectors from eBay. While this post is up anyone out there know to to make cat 6 cables and how to mount wall sockets, run cables in walls ?

Will throw some cash or booze your way for the troubles. All gear ordered just need the expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I have a couple of tools that could come in handy, namely the crimper tool and a tool for the connectors. If you want to borrow them let me know, from memory they only cost about $30 to buy from Jaycar if you want your own.
                              :stupid:

Comment

Working...
                              X