Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilbur Smith's views on modern men

Wayne Rooney: Whatever happened to real men? | Mail Online
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

I dread to think what Dad would make of the 21st century — because I’m afraid there aren’t very many real men left.
    The world has changed. Today, men are afraid to say what they think, to stand up for their beliefs, to fight for what has become an unfashionable cause. Women’s rights have been the great driver of so many social changes in the past 40 years. But what about men’s rights?
    One of the worst inventions of the 20th century was political correctness.
    It has forced a generation of males to keep their masculinity under wraps. It has made millions of men too timid to admit their true views about the world. It’s not fashionable to be a macho man today, is it?
    The essence of the article and oh so true.
    Originally posted by Abuse this
    Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Depends, sometimes no one cares about your view on the world and when you voice it to everyone while beating your chest you are just being obnoxious. Or is that macho?

If you look hard enough, there are people to look up to. But they are private heroes, quiet lionhearts: the young soldier who puts himself in harm’s way in Afghanistan; the police officer answering a 999 call without knowing where it will take him; the midwife who drives through a winter blizzard in the night to deliver a baby.
      I feel that these people have always been the heroes, why does he feel that Churchill is more of a hero than the men he commanded?

Comment

Because Churchill was the individual in the news. Many brave troops were heroes,just without the publicity.

But the essence of the story is more the lack of individuals in these times that people can look up to that may inspire. Like someos the great explorersof yesteryear.

His views may be a bit chauvinistic, but John Wayne would approve.
        To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
        Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

I find the whole article ironic, since by his own admission, his own father didn't think he was a real man, because instead of being outside doing manly things, he was inside reading girly books.

"Reading was not an activity my father encouraged. In fact, he made me feel rather ashamed of the fact I loved books.
          But there was as much chance of changing my father as there was of changing the shape of Table Mountain.
          ‘You should be out in the fresh air doing what boys ought to be doing,’ he’d complain.
          And that is one thing we would never have reached an agreement on.
          Real men? Surely, they don’t spend their time reading books?"

Comment

One of the worst inventions of the 20th century was political correctness.
            Word.

Comment

When I was twelve I had serious respect for Wilbur Smith, and my favourite book, The Sunbird, was a also a fave of an inspiration from a mate from my youth Matt Laffin (was on Australian Story a while back - disabled dwarf with the greatest heart) . I grew up on this shite, but it WAS built on apartheid concepts of manhood and some scary mysogeny...

Comment

Working...
              X