Personal information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal information

After a test drive and a mechanical inspection I handed over copies of my drivers licence and bank statements to a dude I thought was going to buy my car. He said he needed the info to pass on to his finance company, whose manager has since been "off sick and he's the only one that can sign off the deal" this was weeks ago and now my calls and sms' aren't returned. The buyer is the proprietor of a well-known restaurant and I had no reason to doubt him at the time, especially as he'd paid for the inspection at a franchised service centre and shouted me lunch in the establishment while I waited.
    Do I just let it go, or go to his place and ask wtf and what did you do with my personal info?
    Originally posted by lee
    motherfucking *facepalm* at half the stoopid motherfuckers in this thread not getting the point

Why would the buyer need the personal details of the seller for his finance?
    I'd be getting the info back.
    19andrew59
    Last edited by 19andrew59; 16-04-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Why? They're copies.
      Originally posted by Melkor
      The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Sounds dogdy, a couple of hundred spent could turn into couple of thousand transferred from your bank account over then phone since they have your bank/drivers details.
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
          Sounds dogdy, a couple of hundred spent could turn into couple of thousand transferred from your bank account over then phone since they have your bank/drivers details.
          Assuming I have a copy of someones licence and bank account details, I still don't see how that gives me access to withdraw from their account.
          Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
            Assuming I have a copy of someones licence and bank account details, I still don't see how that gives me access to withdraw from their account.
            Give me a copy of yours, ensure there is plenty of funds in your account, and ill give it a go

Comment

Its called identity theft call up order a new card, apply for loans and credit cards.

Identity theft could be costing you :: ABC Western Australia
              Last edited by Halo_2; 16-04-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I am aware of identity theft and some of the ways it is done. But in this case they have your address and a bank account number and date of birth. If they had your credit card number and expiry and cvvc number I would be a lot more worried.
                If they order you a new card and then they have to stake out your mailbox to intercept it. Opening a new account or applying for credit? Did you supply them with enough info to make 100 points of ID?

Not saying ID theft is not an issue, but if they tried it with just those 2 documents, they will get tripped up by their own trail.
                Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

But all this via a guy whose name is in big capital letters as proprietor on the restaurant glass frontage?
                  Originally posted by lee
                  motherfucking *facepalm* at half the stoopid motherfuckers in this thread not getting the point

Comment

Originally posted by Crackers View Post
                    But all this via a guy whose name is in big capital letters as proprietor on the restaurant glass frontage?
                    To be honest, I've got to the point of not trusting anyone I don't know personally and they've proven they're worthy of that trust.
                    Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, however, the number of times I've been deceived or let down by relying on the honesty or integrity of someone else defies belief. Unfortunately, this seems to be becoming the norm rather than the exception.
                    19andrew59
                    Last edited by 19andrew59; 16-04-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

It would be easy to make up ID just using a scanner and abit of editing/right paper.
                      Ive never been a victim of identity fraud just seen whats in the news, in this case sounds dodgy as when you apply for a loan they ask for YOUR bank details and payslip.

Have you gone to the restaurant to see if you could speak to him ??

Comment

*If* the information was going to be used against you in the future, then it would be worth covering yourself now.

Find out what department in WA Police deals with fraudulent identity theft and speak with them. Write a statement, explaining what happened.

That way, if something happens in the future, at least you can say that you had earlier suspicions and have nominated a suspect.

Hopefully, a detective would contact the person and ask why he wanted those particular things, making the person know that police are aware of him.

It's a bit excessive, but if your identity information was used in a bad way later then you would regret not taking pre-emptive action at the time the information was given out.

This situation sounds suspicious enough to take some action.
                        One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

I'm with Phildo on this one, find out why and make it known to the police now

Comment

Bizarre that you would even give out this info.

Comment

Do you have finance owing on the bike?

Comment

Working...
                              X