Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some 4WD help please.

Hey peeps.

I'm looking at getting a Toyota Hilux SR5 dual cab.

I don't know anything about 4WDs and would like some advice on:
    - Petrol or diesel?
    - 4cyl turbo or v6?
    - Manual or auto?

I'm thinking diesel, V6 if they do one but I suspect I would have to go with the 4 cyl turbo if it's the diesel, and manual.

Does that sound like the best config?

Is a 4cyl diesel ballsy enough? I want something that will tow a trailer and two bikes without ANY trouble.

The hairdressers' car, although turbo, just doesn't like hauling 3 people, gear, a trailer and two bikes over hills...

Cheers.

New one, yeah?
    The 3L turbo diesel motor is really impressive, and it's definitely the pick of the engines. If you're towing stuff around, and want to use it for offroading sometimes, go the manual.

edit: the 3L, 4cyl turbo is the only diesel option. The petrol engines are a 4L V6 or a gutless 2.4L 4cyl.
    FTP

Comment

yea mate a 4cyl diesel is good i got a ford courier space cab 2007 i had a bike trailer with 3 bikes on it and a bike in the tray and teh rest of the tray full with mx gear and the cab had four people in it and got all the way to lano with no problem.
      theres no hope for the weak

Comment

Couple of years old Tim.
        Around '08.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Steer clear of the V6 unless you enjoy spending lots of time (& money) at the servo. I have had a the 4 cyl petrol, 4 cylinder diesel and the V6 over the last few years and would always go diesel from now on.

Comment

The newer model Sr after about 07 has a bloody good turbo diesel engine. Will tow anything you want. Manual or auto is basically down to personal choice these days. Auto is a lot easier to find these days, but I prefer swapping gears myself.

Comment

I had the turbo diesel for my work ute and it was very nice. Would definitely recommend.

Comment

The '08 era came with a 4L V6 or 3.0L turbo diesel, I'd personally go for a SR5 with turbo diesel automatic, a tiny bit more thirsty than a manual but better offroad/ more comfortable onroad. Yes autos are better offroad, with constant power to the ground = better momentum & less wheelspin.

Try to find one with a commonrail D4D motor (late model) as they are more resposive and economical. In stock form they will almost outperform the pertol equiv. in the power stakes and tourqe is very strong = perfect for towing. If you find it still lacking, an upgraded exhaust and chip will perk it up heaps.

Comment

Hilux Turbo Diesel with a Diesel Gas system = hoon factor 10 ...not that I condone or do such things

Comment

If your off road work will be primarily sand, then an auto is hands down better than a manual.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally getting rid of the hairdressers car mate?

Comment

Definitely get the turbo diesel. My mate has a Prado with the same 4L V6 petrol and it loves petrol.
                        Wes

Comment

I agree about the auto - heaps easier to keep momentum in deep sand or mud = way less winching

S.
                          Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by _Bananaman_ View Post
                            Try to find one with a commonrail D4D motor (late model) as they are more resposive and economical. In stock form they will almost outperform the pertol equiv. in the power stakes and tourqe is very strong = perfect for towing. If you find it still lacking, an upgraded exhaust and chip will perk it up heaps.
                            fucking good engines d4d and try get the 3 litre version if possible-ti the go these days

dont use bio in it as not good for common rail- toyota voids your warranty if they have a sniff its been on bio
                            do you think i lack self discipline

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                              Hilux Turbo Diesel with a Diesel Gas system = hoon factor 10 ...not that I condone or do such things
                              As far as I understand D-gas on common rail engines is far less efficient, as the common rail system already brings diesel combustion up to a much higher percentage of burnt fuel. Do you own/have access to a vehicle with common rail + dgas? Is there really a worthwhile difference between the system on and the system off?

Comment

Working...
                              X