Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car repair out of warranty for something that had already been repaired under warrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car repair out of warranty for something that had already been repaired under warrant

Quick question for your thoughts.

A little over a year into a new car, the brake light switch needed replacing. While not working, it meant the cruise control system didnt work. No problem, dealer fixed it.

Now the car is juder under 3.5 years old and just out of warranty. Another system on the car failing due to the brake light switch being faulty and needs to be replaced. Dealer wants to charge me parts and labour again.

Im not mechanically minded at all, so unsure how fragile a brake light switch is generally, but with my car its known to fail and cause issues with the cruise control/anti skid system when its failled.

So, given the same part has failled again, is it unreasonable to expect the dealer to cover parts and labour now its out of warranty but the same faulty part?

Thoughts please?

and yes, Im sure I could replace it myself for less etc etc, but thats not what Im asking.

thanks

I would try for the parts...

I know with Holden I was using genuine parts and service, they did give you a warranty peroid on any parts replaced...

Comment

I'm with Rich. If you're going back to the same place, I'd try for them to replace the part. Getting them to do labour as well might be pushing shit uphill.

But considering it's failed before and is just outside of warranty (which is 3 years I'm assuming) they should do something for you.
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

don't any parts and workmanship generally come with a warranty (say 12 months or something)?? If so, the parts/work should be covered for the warranty period from when they were installed. I suspect 2.5 odd years down the track would be out of any warranty for workmanship, so i reckon you're probably out of luck.

However, i'd certainly try and get it fixed by them. If not the dealer, then a plea to Holden on the grounds of it being a known problem and a safety one at that.

Comment

Thanks guys. All up its not a large sum of money, but the principle of it.

Ill try for the parts and see what happens when I go to pick the car up.

and yes, same dealer...there is only one in the damn state

Comment

does that mean it's Barbagello? If so, good luck!

Comment

or bmw/mini, or allpike (PSA - peugot/citroen), or renault, or skoda, or audi or maybe hummer

can't think of any others, there's no saab dealer anymore
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                or bmw/mini, or allpike (PSA - peugot/citroen), or renault, or skoda, or audi or maybe hummer

Peugeot, Citroen, Renault and Skoda all have 2 dealerships, but very true about BMW, Audi, Mini etc

Comment

or it could be a TATA there is a dealer in bunbury for that
                  A site all parents should check regulary
                  http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post

Saab shares Renaults dealership in Ozy Park.... just for anyones info
                    "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." ~ Muhammad Ali

Comment

Well they refused to give me the part for free, but through in labour for free. Fair enough, similar value. Only issue is driving home I notice the cruise control won't engage. That was the sign the first time the brake light switch went. I guess time to call them tomorrow.

The other interesting thing to note is 12 months prior the recorded front brake pad wear at 45%. Not its only 5%. No, the pads havent been changed.

Comment

Working...
                      X