Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead

Not literally.

As most who know me would already know, I've been dreaming of the big daddy zx14 for a few months now.
    I also said i'd wait till the 2012 model landed with all the gizmos.
    Bored today went down to causeway to have a gander. Tested the ninja 1000 first up.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every thing starts to look like a nail

Oops hit post by accident. More to come.

Comment

Cool.

Sorry I hit the post button before I was done.
      Commander Keen
      Last edited by Commander Keen; 29-04-2011, 02:23 PM.
      Originally posted by Desmo
      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

To be brutally honest the ninja 1000 did not excite me at all. It felt immediately familiar to my 09 zed. It sounded the same despite all new 1043cc motor compared to the 09's 953cc. My zed actually felt quicker but then she is nicely run in with 6,000km on the clock.

Okay no fucking round, norm had the 14 idling when i pulled back in. No helmet off, just lift the stand and select first and go.
        Last edited by Thirsty; 29-04-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Admit this thread is failing. Phone is dying. Ya gonna have to wait till i go home

Comment

Yeah yeah, im home now, no more fumbling phingers on my phone

So yeah, its got a longer wheel base which was noticable straight up, so was a bit ginger till i got out down near collier park golf course.

I was surprised comparing my wide bars on the zed to the low clip ons on the 14, yet I had no pressure on my wrists at all. I think my fat gut finally found a use propping me up over the tank takin weight from my back/arms/wrists. It was soooooo comfy.

Took it out along a popular river run where I got to know her clean lines it carves. The Ninja 1000 felt like my bike with a wet blanket on. I say that cos it didnt have sporty clipons, instead had high risers, and still low pegs which touched down a bit earlier than my zed, maybe cos Ive had the preload bumped all the way on my zed so have a touch more clearance.
            The 14 has slightly higher pegs, but still comfy fit for my 6'5 frame, but what they allow is a world of lean I have yet ever explored, and it was soo natrual feeling hanging off the side. The only thing I could think of on the handling/comfort side was obviously lift the rear a few mm. I rode my zed for over a year on stock suspension and thought it was okay, got Marty Moose to fettle it as best he could with what we had (one phat oaf of a rider and preload and rebound adjustments only) and now I know how a bike should feel, it just steers itself into the corners, and even without any adjustments to the 14 it did just that anyway. Bonus is I believe the 14 has a seperate ride height adjustment on it without playing with the preload. (Unless thats what the manual refers to when speaking of ride height adjuster)

So i was supposed to take it back, he knew i was headed down that way, but i decided, oh yeah freeway trial. Man 5th gear revs lower than 6th on my zed. My zed hums at about 4400rpm at 100km/h. The 14 in 5th is 3500rpm, 6th was 3,200rpm.
            Riding around at 60 km/h on the 14 use upto 3rd but you could ride in second all day, i think it was around 5000rpm in 2nd at 60. The zed would be in at least 4th at 60km/h to keep the revs down, but could use 6th as well and still pull. The 14 was under 2000rpm in top. Its what ive been looking for. Now, the zed is geared for fun, Markmo was impressed with a low wheelie I pulled last night, lifted only a foot, dropped it a couple of inches but then accelereated through 100km/h at full throttle just holding the wheel at a constant height just above the deck.
            Anyways, on my way back to the dealer, it genuinely was a case of whoops, missed the exit at canning to head back, I just wanted to keep riding it all day, I wasnt care dabout where i was going. Had to remember to pull into Millpoint Road too in South Perth. Headed back, got to Norm, and said "Fuck the electronics, Ill take one now."

Sooo, ive done the paper work, and all going well ill get a phone call on Monday to pick it up. Im gonna miss Zed though, I had quite a nice ride just coming home now.
            Last edited by Thirsty; 29-04-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

'Gratz on the new steed dude. No 'Busa testride?
              Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
              Originally posted by filbert
              it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Wash your mouth out. The current model looks like an old cut in half vw bettle and the headlight looks almost like a love heart (All the current GSX-R's)
                Its a butch lesbians bike, the pre 06 was ok'ish, never liked the rear hump.

Comment

Congratulations on your new scoot. There is still no replacement for displacement. Wishing you many happy miles (kays).

Comment

Well still waiting on finance but should hear on Monday, so fingers crossed. I paid the Zed off already, so the whole trade in value is the deposit, so hopefully Finance should be happy. Ouch, just got credit card under control too...... and now my computer has pop ups of Akrapovic exhausts and radiator guards, that when I shut them, I turn my back for a minute and whoops theyre there staring at me again.

Comment

Well Zeds Dead is not really an appropriate tilte. She still has lots of life left, and she was showing me tonight.
                      Finance stuffed me around all day, so I had to take her home again tonight.
                      Filtered to the lights at Burswood beside a fairly new Statesman. Ready for my get the hell out of dodge manouvre this Statesman launches hard as soon as the light goes. So I played with it, let him get his drivers door to the front wheel of my bike, then opened the taps. No contest. Jumped infront of him and he pulls up behind at next set of lights. Check mirror to see not only him but his cute wife in the front both giving me thumbs up. I returned the thumb and yay boobies!!!!
                      I pull across a lane and let him get up beside me and he's yelling 'fucken nice bike dude!'
                      Will be sad seeing it go, its still bringing me smiles even in our final hours together. Got the Finance O.K. just last minute, so I have to pick up the new steed tommorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X