No announcement yet.

Recommend me a sand / diamond blaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a sand / diamond blaster.

Hey guys.
    Planning on getting the car shell sandblasted in coming weeks / months.
    It was blasted about 7 years ago, but needs redoing as it has a fair bit of surface rust.
    It can't be soda blasted as soda blasting is not very effective on rust.
    Diamond blasting, and sand blasting are ones that have come up so far.
    Has anyone used one that they can recommend?
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by Desmogod
    Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

malaga, welshpool, midland areas preffered, but I can travel further if I need to.

Comment

That is a very misleading 'mini rotisserie' you have there.
      Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

If you are willing to travel to Bunbury, Weir Blasting are brilliant. They do Soda blasting as well as sand blasting.

Soda blasting is 100% better, as sand blasting can leave marks and scratches, where as Soda blasting leaves no trace f anything. They have done houses, cars, and all sorts of items.

Let me know if you are interested in travelling down this far and i will get you their number.

Comment

I've spoken to 2 companies regarding soda blasting, one that does it, and one that used to do soda blasting, and they both said it won't be effective in removing rust as its not abrasive enough.

Comment

correct - soda blasting wont remove rust. But as a first pass it will identify weak points that are rusted that you don't want sand blasted. Depending on severity of rust.

The guys at Copmetition and Industrial coatings in Kelmscott have or used to have a soda blaster.

I've seen bonnets done and once stripped one showed up the original ford logo that was on teh plastic wrap.... and another showing hand prints made by skin oils left over from hand carrying when originally manufactured.
            Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
            One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
            . .

Comment

Walnut shells are supposed to be the ultimate for car bodies.
              Plastic media is also good.
              For much smaller stuff I use indabead which is a very fine glass bead.

I've used soda and it won't remove rust. It is messy as hell too.
              In fact, it seems that after an initial boom of interest a number of operators have dropped soda blasting lately.

Comment

It's just surface rust all over basically.
                I tried rust converting it, but it needs to be smoother for that to be effective also.
                So my choices are spending about 2 months sanding it back and rust converting - when I get spare time, or just forking out and getting it blasted and primed, then spending time straightening out the body properly.

Comment

Working...
                X