Antimatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antimatter

How awesome is this! There's going to be some cool shit happening in the next 20 or 30 years. I for one am super excited.

What can you do with a quarter of an hour? Write a few emails, cook rice – or store antimatter.

The team working on the Antihydrogen Laser Physics Apparatus (ALPHA) at the CERN particle physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland, have stored atoms of antihydrogen for 1000 seconds – roughly 10,000 times longer than before. This should help reveal if antimatter and matter are true mirror images.

Antihydrogen atoms are annihilated by hydrogen. The ALPHA team want to keep antimatter intact long enough to study it, so last year they worked out how to hold a cloud of antihydrogen in a magnetic trap. Not for long, though: collisions with trace gases would have either annihilated the anti-atoms or given them the energy to escape, so the team opened the trap after 170 milliseconds and observed the resulting annihilations, verifying that antimatter had been made.

Now they have repeated the experiment, this time waiting much longer before opening the trap. They also cooled the antiprotons used to create the antihydrogen much further, which lowered the energy of the antimatter, allowed more to be squeezed into the trap and raised the chance that some would last longer (arxiv.org/abs/1104.4982).

Antimatter's life extension will permit experiments, such as checking whether antihydrogen occupies the same energy levels as hydrogen, "perhaps within the next few years", says Daniel Kaplan of the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, who is not on the ALPHA team.

Fleeting antimatter trapped for a quarter of an hour - physics-math - 03 May 2011 - New Scientist
    Wes

That is cool shit. I can't wait for the 2042 Suzuki powered by an anti-matter reactor that needs to be refuelled every 10 years.

Then again, am I a fairly tragic star trek nerd.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Very cool. Perahps we will even be able to skip fusion and go straight to antimatter power in the next 50 years. Probably complete devastation and extinction in less than 5 years after that, but those 5 years will be awesome.
      Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
      Originally posted by filbert
      it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Anyone else think this sounds like ghost busters with the traps and antmatter etc etc.
        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I want to know how big this "annihilation" is because the first thing that I thought of after reading that article is anti-matter warheads.

Comment

I think you only annihilate the same mass of particles as the amount of anti-matter you have. They somehow cancel each other out. So a warhead wouldn't work really, unless you used anti oxygen to suffocate everyone or something. Patent Pending.
            Originally posted by JIM.55
            knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

thats cool, any antimatter explosions can be safely detonated above the vatican by Ewan McGregor in a chopper
              I do not mean to pry, but you don't, by any chance, happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Mutiny! View Post
                I think you only annihilate the same mass of particles as the amount of anti-matter you have. They somehow cancel each other out. So a warhead wouldn't work really, unless you used anti oxygen to suffocate everyone or something. Patent Pending.
                I think you'll find that humans are quite proficient at finding ways of fucking each other up. If there is a way to make anti-matter shit all over another dude, it will be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutiny! View Post
                  I think you only annihilate the same mass of particles as the amount of anti-matter you have. They somehow cancel each other out.
                  Whilst it's true that only the same mass is annihilated, all of that mass is converted to energy via the relation E = mc^2. So 1kg of matter reacting with 1kg of antimatter would produce the energy roughly equivalent to 43 megatons of TNT exploding.

Comment

Originally posted by falcon View Post
                    Whilst it's true that only the same mass is annihilated, all of that mass is converted to energy via the relation E = mc^2. So 1kg of matter reacting with 1kg of antimatter would produce the energy roughly equivalent to 43 megatons of TNT.
                    Bummer.
                    Originally posted by JIM.55
                    knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

What if the energy created by antimatter vs matter collision is the sum of their mass? ie. -1 + 1 = 0?

If energy is measured in a degree, positive, from zero, could antimatter have a mass, equally measurable in space, as a positive but an energy the same degree of difference from zero but in the negative? Like an energy vacuum?
                      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                        If energy is measured in a degree, positive, from zero, could antimatter have a mass, equally measurable in space, as a positive but an energy the same degree of difference from zero but in the negative? Like an energy vacuum?
                        >walks into thread
                        >reads Taylors post
                        >mfw

Well it was a fun thread, thanks all!

>walks the fuck out of the thread
                        FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

what Koola said.

LOLOLOLONDON.

Hydrogen and anti Hydrogen both have a mass of 1u.

1u ~ 1.66*10^-27

so the annihilation of 2u of mass would produce

2* mc^2

2* (1.66*10^-27)(9*10^16)

roughly 3*10^-10 Joules of energy
                          Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

Since E=hf the frequency of the resulting EMR wave would be

f = 3*10^-10 / 6.62 *10^-34
                            = 4.5*10^23 Hz
                            = Gamma rays, Biatch!!!

(assuming 1 photon is created)

Sorry, I got bored. Back to work. ^_^
                            Last edited by Bunyack; 05-05-2011, 01:26 PM.
                            Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyack View Post
                              what Koola said.

LOLOLOLONDON.

Hydrogen and anti Hydrogen both have a mass of 1u.

1u ~ 1.66*10^-27

so the annihilation of 2u of mass would produce

2* mc^2

2* (1.66*10^-27)(9*10^16)

roughly 3*10^-10 Joules of energy
                              :mellow:

Science: Does stuff.
                              "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." ~ Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                              X