Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World's Most Expensive Photograph

Cindy Sherman Photograph Sells for $3.8 Million, Setting New Record

Cindy Sherman’s “Untitled #96″ from 1981 has become the world’s most valuable photograph after selling for a staggering $3.89 million at a Christie’s auction yesterday (it was estimated to be worth up to $2 million). The winning bidder was Philippe Segalot, a private advisor to some of the world’s wealthiest art collectors. The photo takes the top spot away from “99 Cent II Diptychon” by Andreas Gursky, which enjoyed five years as the world’s most valuable photo after selling for $3.35 million back in 2006.
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

... art collectors might officially be the worst people in the world.
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Comment

If I was buying something for $3.89 million I'd be demanding that it at least have a title.

Comment

Wasnt Peter Lik's photo rated as the most expensive at 1 million just recently?
        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Why??
          Originally posted by vk6hgr
          My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

Judging from that shot, I've got over 17 dollars worth of photos.

Comment

I don't get it.
              She's got clothes on?
              Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

If I was spending that type of coin on something it would need to have a motor or a roof.
                They say money can't buy happiness. But you can use it to buy a Triumph and you never see sad people riding Triumphs.

Comment

Can anyone explain to me how this photo is worth such a significant sum?
                  Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                  One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                  . .

Comment

$3.89m for a photo of ranga?

WTF?
                    DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow78 View Post
                      Can anyone explain to me how this photo is worth such a significant sum?
                      No, although I think it has more to do with 'who' took it (it's an old self-portrait) than anything else.
                      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

I've deleted billions of dollars worth of photos from my phone.....

The winning bidder was Philippe Segalot, a private advisor to some of the world’s wealthiest art collectors.
                        Theory-
                        1) Buy a photo of some brown laundry tiles, obscured by a woman wearing a table cloth as a skirt, for a ludicrous amount of money.
                        2) Use standing in the art world to convince gullible billionaires it's actually worth even more.
                        3) ????
                        4) Profit
                        Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

art is in the eye of the biggest dickhead with cash

Comment

Working...
                          X