Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone an auto mechanic? Differential question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone an auto mechanic? Differential question...

Yes exactly that, alternative is to use closest thread to existing and customise a bush.
    Either way not a huge problem.
    Might cost you a pint, damn sight cheaper than $600!

Anyone an auto mechanic? Differential question...

Yes I tried google. Yes I tried perth 4x4 forums, but they want a 'real' email address to register, not a free one. Plus this forum is better.

Anyway, some fucknut has cross threaded my rear diff sump plug into the diff cover to the point that I'm going to have to pull it out and possibly re-machine the thread at huge expense. Same fucknut that crossed my oil sump plug costing me $600 to fix. Don't ask...
    Anyway, could I just not buy a new rear diff cover with plug and replace it instead of machining new thread? Wouldn't that be cheaper? My mechanic told me to machine it saying "It'll be very expensive" so I'd rather a cheaper option.

The car's a Mazda Tribute.

Comment

There is a few options.. Is it the fill plug or the drain plug?

If its not to badly stripped you may be able to get away with just running a tap though it and cleaning the thread. A helicoil will also work. Or the other option is to drill and tap it and replace with a bolt and fibre washer.. Any competent shop should be able to do it for you for not alot of money..

Of course if it has a removable cover and you can pick one up cheap that would work the best. However I doubt you will find one cheaper than the above options.

Comment

P.S Get a new Mechanic

Comment

Agree, if its just the inspection nut its no big deal compared with the cost of replacement. It only keeps the diff oil that's splashing around inside from coming out. Maybe fitting a nut with an o-ring will provide a good seal without needing to be all that tight. It'll be pretty obvious on the garage floor if its not working well.
          -

Comment

What vehicle is the diff from? Front or rear? Could you take a picture?
            It's all fun until someone loses a nut.

Comment

You can actually get oversized plugs for this reason I'm pretty sure.(it's been a while), tap out with the oversize tap and screw in new plug. Most workshops should carry these. Might just have to ring around.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunok9 View Post
                You can actually get oversized plugs for this reason I'm pretty sure.(it's been a while), tap out with the oversize tap and screw in new plug. Most workshops should carry these. Might just have to ring around.
                Repco and Coventrys. They were generally for sump plugs but, you may get lucky.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys, up at the folks right now but as soon as I'm back I will follow up with some pictures and stuff. Cheers!

Comment

The plug on the top is the one. I had a look at the mechs report and he said it was the filler plug which has seized. They didn't try the drain plug I don't think... So I might have to check that out too.
                    Slug- The car is an 02' Mazda Tribute V6.

Definitely some options there guys, thanks. I'm glad you all seem to agree there's a cheaper option!

Comment

So is the plug still in there and it has just stripped the square head out or has it striped the thread in the case?

Comment

They probably couldn't undo it on a quick inspection and have stopped as it is now an 'upsell' from just a service. Any mechanic should be able to get that out, probably without heat.
                        Some of those style bungs are gas thread and can jam in really hard.
                        Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

I'm no expert on Mazdas but from my distant past experience with Holden diffs, the top one with the oil around it looks like a breather, the middle one is presumably the stripped inspection bolt (i.e. take it out, oil should be just below) and (I think) the thiing can be drained with the bolt right at the bottom.
                          -

Comment

I actually have the special 1/2" tapered male plug to go in that female fitting so if you get really stuck I reckon we could get it undone.

Comment

If there is enough meat around hole, drill and tap next size up, fit reducing bush, then reuse existing plug/breather. Happy to do it for you but you will need to bring the cover plate to Freo bus hrs. Not a good idea to do it in situ as metal swarf will end up in diff.

Comment

Working...
                              X