A question for the cruiser riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the cruiser riders

I was reading a thread today about a young man who was very excited about upgrading his 250 cruiser to a larger cruiser.
    This led me to wonder why he would do such a thing as I was under the impression (garnered from cruiser riders) that it's all about the ride and not about horsepower, handling or brakes.
    So my question is, why do you guys bother upgrading your bikes from poor handling, over priced and underpowered machines to poor handling, over priced and underpowered machines?
    I can understand wanting something with better brakes and handling, but honestly, that isn't what riding a cruiser is about is it?

Im still not sure if you want an actual answer or just trolling but here goes.

I am 32 and ride a 07 VN900 cruiser and also a 06 CBR600RR. I love my cruiser and dont think I could ever imagine not owning one for a long period of time. For me the cruiser is about just enjoying the ride and riding comfortably, I have forward controls, comfy seat, and upright riding position, I do not wear a vest, or an open face helmet with a skull face mask. Sure its doesnt handle, goes as fast or stop as quick as the CBR but that is not why I bought it. Having said that it doesnt mean I dont want to go fast on my cruiser. I like to sit on around 130-140 which my bike does easily and I also like to be able to split through traffic and have the confidence that my bike will pull away from traffic at the lights. On the other hand I think the sports bikes in general are relatively uncomfortable but I bought mine because I want to go very fast sometimes and do track days and learn how to race. I have found my comprimise by having both bikes and riding the one that I feel like at the time, but Im lucky enough that i can afford that.

250's are small bikes no matter what style you ride and he is probably looking forward to getting the kind of bike he has always wanted.
    Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
      why do you guys bother upgrading your bikes from poor handling, over priced and underpowered machines to poor handling, over priced and underpowered machines?
      I can understand wanting something with better brakes and handling, but honestly, that isn't what riding a cruiser is about is it?
      With the majority of metric cruiser, cant speak for HD's as I havent ridden one but their brakes and handling are fine. Yes they dont handle and brake like a sports bike but their not supposed to. You are comparing apples to oranges. Thats like saying a limo is crap because it doesnt handle like a porsche
      Last edited by Thunderbird; 20-05-2011, 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling
      Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Not at all, you have missed the point entirely.
        This isn't a sportsbike versus cruiser thread.

Comment

Horses for courses Jim. I've had sportsbikes and cruisers, midsized and now large cc bikes. It's about what you want at the time; what fits your lifestyle. As Thunderbird indicated a cruiser offers certain specific aspects of motorcycle riding as does sportsbikes and off-road bikes.

And I guess looking at it, your question could be asked of just about anything that comes down to personal choice.
          Last edited by Retro; 20-05-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

You're still missing the point, this is about 250cc cruiser vs larger cruiser.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

.... for exactly the same reason sports bike riders upgrade a 250 to something larger.... search your own reasons why you're not riding a 250cc bike.

and may I ask, why isn't this in the cruiser section?
              Life seems more precious when there's less of it to waste.

Comment

Having never ridden a cruiser, I can't completely justify my opinions with experience. However I have no doubt there must be some parallels in upgrading on a sportsbike.

Like being able to 'cruise' at certain speeds without feeling like your wringing the tits out of the engine. Maybe even the little bit of extra power to accelerate away from potential traffic dangers etc.
                Which really is most a point of comfort, in these cases while riding on suburban roads.

I would imagine it would be the same with newer bikes and suspension set-ups.

And more than anything as well, the look of a newer bigger bike.

What was the last good looking mass produced 250 cruiser you can think of?

Again having never ridden a cruiser (not been interested) I am not speaking from experience, but a 3rd party p.o.v.
                Originally posted by Semi
                I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrap View Post
                  .... for exactly the same reason sports bike riders upgrade a 250 to something larger.... search your own reasons why you're not riding a 250cc bike.

and may I ask, why isn't this in the cruiser section?
                  Because if it were in the cruiser section, there'd be some grumpy fat people complaining that the sportsbike riders are being mean to them again.

I upgraded from a 250 because the larger bikes handle better, have more power and are more fun.

I couldn't say the same about a cruiser? (unless you're going from a virago to a rocket III, in which case you just hate petrol)

Comment

Coming from a person who rides a bike that isn't about out right horsepower, seems a bit rich Jim?

End of the day its about more power etc while still having the same style of bike

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
                    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

surely a big appeal in cruisers is the comfortable "cruising" factor. A whopping great engine is going to hum along nicely, whereas just like a sporty 250, at highway speeds they're screaming and hardly nice and comfortable.

Comment

... Radical - couldn't answer the question regarding mass produced 250 cruisers .... never ridden one. Your comments regarding reasonsfor upgrading are no different for a cruiser bike or a sports bike.

... Maxo - stereoyping again are we? we're not all old, fat or grumpy, just like not all sportsbike riders are young, stupid Rossi wannabes. I'm sure some of the lady cruiser riders would take exception to your comments.....
                        You're wrong about handling on a cruiser not improving with size, and I speak from experience going from 750cc to 1600ccs, theres a noticeable improvement. What are you basing your comments on?
                        Last edited by Scrap; 20-05-2011, 12:37 PM.
                        Life seems more precious when there's less of it to waste.

Comment

its all about yougins that think faster (in this case more hp etc) is better

these sort of riders generally dont keep riding through out there life as its more of a speed thrill not a passion.
                          Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

i sold my kawasaki mean streak 1600cc cruiser and intended to buy the new ducati diavel 1200 but now that i know they're all the same i'll just buy a victory cross country instead
                            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                              Because if it were in the cruiser section, there'd be some grumpy fat people complaining that the sportsbike riders are being mean to them again.
                              Pretty much this, I have found that cruiser riders are oh so sensitive, hence why I posted here.

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                              I upgraded from a 250 because the larger bikes handle better, have more power and are more fun.

I couldn't say the same about a cruiser? (unless you're going from a virago to a rocket III, in which case you just hate petrol)
                              Again, echoing my sentiments.

Comment

Working...
                              X