A question for the cruiser riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
    Not at all, you have missed the point entirely.
    This isn't a sportsbike versus cruiser thread.
    Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
    Im still not sure if you want an actual answer or just trolling but here goes.

... Having said that it doesnt mean I dont want to go fast on my cruiser. I like to sit on around 130-140 which my bike does easily and I also like to be able to split through traffic and have the confidence that my bike will pull away from traffic at the lights.

250's are small bikes no matter what style you ride and he is probably looking forward to getting the kind of bike he has always wanted.
    I didnt miss your point I thought your question was mostly a troll and you werent really looking for answers but trying to entertain yourself late at night by asking loaded questions so you can try and bait cruiser riders into saying they want more speed and power when in the past the have just said it was about comfort. If you had read all my reply you would see there were parts as to why someone would upgrade from a 250

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
    I upgraded from a 250 because the larger bikes handle better, have more power and are more fun.

I couldn't say the same about a cruiser? (unless you're going from a virago to a rocket III, in which case you just hate petrol)
    Why not, 99% of larger bore cruisers will out perform the 250

Originally posted by St Ives View Post
    I don't think cruiser riders are particularly sensitive, I think people in general just get annoyed when asked questions loaded with unjustified negative descriptions and statements that highlight the ignorance of the person asking the question. It is like dealing with children, one would hope adults could be more tactful and understanding of other people perspectives. Hope you're enjoying your responses.
    This
    Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

bit of a troll thgread but WTF.

My bikes have gone 250-883-1600,

reason being i just outgrew them, i call it bike shrinkage they seem big and powerful at first even the 250, thought the 883 would be good for a long time, great around town for squirts but crap for longer trips so far as power and comfort.
      current 1600 seems to do everything i need could travel around the country in comfort and plenty of power, stripped down is great for commuting and w/end runs.

Theres a lot of variation in cruisers for power and comfort.
      National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrap View Post

... Maxo - stereoyping again are we? we're not all old, fat or grumpy, just like not all sportsbike riders are young, stupid Rossi wannabes. I'm sure some of the lady cruiser riders would take exception to your comments.....
        You're wrong about handling on a cruiser not improving with size, and I speak from experience going from 750cc to 1600ccs, theres a noticeable improvement. What are you basing your comments on?

dood, Maxo rides one of those big armchair large engine cruiser things that tries to crash when you go round corners. Uphill. When its cold.

on a different note, its all well and good saying a (example only, nothing personal!!!) yamaha roadstar/Liner thing has better brakes and suspension than a 250 virago, but carrying an extra 200kg would neccessitate it and remove any major stopping or handling advantage yeah? As for the big donk thing, i get that bit. Its about the speed/power. But if it's about the speed and power, it's not really 'cruising' is it? And maybe a muscle bike would be a better option?

Not shit stirring, but (unbelievably) i actually get what the desmo is asking (i think).

Pointless?
        yes, i am ignorant
        yes, i am a prick
        no, i don't care
        you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
          And maybe a muscle bike would be a better option?
          Muscle bike is a great option, but not a very affordable one for a lot of us. When I had the Vulcan, I thought, my next cruiser would be a HD. I could easily save up for one, and buy one. But, the insurance rates for one of those was unbelievably high(fully comp). Maybe when I'm older and my premiums are lower, I'll buy one of them.

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
          But if it's about the speed and power, it's not really 'cruising' is it?
          For cruising in the suburbs I don't think we need any more power than a 250cc cruiser. However, when it comes to long distance rides, with the cruiser design offering so much wind resistance, a bit of speed and power does come in handy.

Comment

I thought the number on the side of cruisers was the decibels emitted 250db, 883db, 1600db, etc. And an upgrade was to improve you ability to make pedestrians haemorrhage.

Serious face... Same reason any other person upgrades, better quality and performance- term may apply to different aspects of riding for the style of bike.
            "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

What is a "muscle bike"?? Never heard that term before.
              BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Comment

MUSCLE BIKES? What are they? Who are they? Where are they?

Comment

It's all about degrees. Sport bike riders upgrade because they want better brakes, handling and more power. Cruiser riders also upgrade because they want better brakes, handling and more power.

Just because you ride a cruiser, it doesn't mean that you don't want good handling. It only means that you have a different priority order when selecting a bike and don't want a sports bike for whatever reason.

In my case, it is because I struggle to tilt my head up and hold it for long periods due to previous injuries and many of my rides involve long, boring, highway riding. I still like to ride in a "spirited" manner occasionally and I can on a big cruiser, I just don't need to go as fast to find the limits of the bike now to make the ride fun but when I grab a big handful of throttle 100hp is a lot more fun that 30hp.
                  I also like the fact that when I am "just cruising" at around the (highway) speed limit the bike does it easy, something a smaller, less powerful model would be straining to do. When loaded up with luggage, maybe even a pillion, the big cruiser still lopes along easily where a small cruiser would be revving it's ring out and dragging along the ground. The bigger cruisers are just more comfortable to ride too. The don't react as much to small bumps and cross winds and just seem to hold their line much better.

People don't choose cruisers BECAUSE they don't handle, brake or perform. They choose them because they like the riding position, style, carrying capacity or any of a number of other reasons. I would love a bike that does it all but like every thing in life there are trade off's. Right now I choose to trade off some, but not all, performance, handling and braking for a more comfortable ride and more carrying capacity.

I hope this makes sense.

Think of cars.

A very rough analogy of the way I see it:

Porsche/Ferrari = Hyper Sports Bike
                  Focus/Epica = small cruiser
                  Falcon GT/SS Commodore = Muscle Cruiser
                  Falcon G6/Statesman = "Classic" Cruiser

Upgrading from a small cruiser to a large cruiser would be like upgrading from a Focus/Epica to a Falcon/Commodore. A bit more of everything at the expense of a little bit of "flickability" and handling.

Again, different cars compromised to suit different needs and budgets.
                  Last edited by Veefore; 23-05-2011, 11:54 AM. Reason: Better explanation (I hope)

Comment

to me i just prefer the look the ride and the feel of the cruiser over other bikes i enjoy the sitting position and how comfortable the ride is
                    I HAD A BREEZE UP MY SHORTS AND IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Veefore View Post
                      SS Commodore = r1, gsx etc.
                      Because evryone has one
                      fixed

Comment

A 250 cruiser rider will buy a bigger cruiser coz they like cruisers. They like the look and the image.
                        And they will have more power.
                        Better brakes & handling won't be a factor coz cruisers are'nt designed for high speed.

I agree with s/Steve. Muscle bikes are a good/better option....imho (I have a soft spot for these bikes)
                        along with more power they do have better brakes & handling and I find the upright seating position more natural.

each to their own.

Originally posted by RAO/Sid.Skynet View Post
                        Muscle bike is a great option, but not a very affordable one for a lot of us. When I had the Vulcan, I thought, my next cruiser would be a HD. I could easily save up for one, and buy one. But, the insurance rates for one of those was unbelievably high(fully comp). Maybe when I'm older and my premiums are lower, I'll buy one of them.
                        Technically, Muscle bikes are inline fours & are very affordable(used) compared to a Harley.

these first appeared in the 90's as a retro tribute to the naked jap bikes of the 70's & 80's except they have a bigger engine.
                        eg. zrx1100, xjr1300, Bandit, cb1300 etc

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon View Post
                          Technically, Muscle bikes are inline fours & are very affordable(used) compared to a Harley.

these first appeared in the 90's as a retro tribute to the naked jap bikes of the 70's & 80's except they have a bigger engine.
                          eg. zrx1100, xjr1300, Bandit, cb1300 etc

That's something I wasn't aware of.

Everytime I think of a musclebike, I think about one of the bikes shown in this video.

Comment

lolz

All it needs is a Camo paint job & you'll be set.

Bitches & Boss Hogg bikes!

Comment

Working...
                            X