Anyone been in the Navy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been in the Navy?

Was wondering if anyone has been there and done it and how it turned out for them. Any Navy experience is good just want an idea on what life is like in it.

I know its not motorcycle related but this is the biggest group of people i know so why not ask.
    Please dont whore it out, just facts and experience.

Thanks all.

I was in the Army for 15 years and spent alot of time on Navy ships doing stuff which I can't talk about because I would have to kill you. But seriously I recon you can't go wrong with any of the 3 services. Just do 4 years or whatever and enjoy the experience.

Comment

Couldnt get used to the soddomy so i quit.
      Sorry everyone couldnt help it.

Talk to Gonz1, you get to see the world and get paid for it.... down side is you could go to war and die.
      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Yeah, what Martin said.
        I was in the Army for 8 years and my only regret is I didn't do a trade.
        Any of the services are good as long as you get a qualification in something. Anything to do with electronics is good and should set you up for life.

Speak to Trev.....he spent a while in the Navy.

Comment

I had to do national service and spent 2 and a half years in the army...not sure about the service here but I would imagine a fair amount of regimented lifestyle, especially at basic...you sure you want to do it?

I must say though, after I finished with the army, I admit that I really enjoyed it, but during my service, the training was really tough...hence didnt like it
          It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Comment

May dad was in the navy, and loved it. But this was 1945-1951, so things may have changed a little bit. He was working on that new fangled radar thingy, set him up for a career as a radio engineer.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

My old lady's partner was in the Merchant Marine during WWII - which is probably quite different - but he has some very fond memories at a later age to look back on and at 79 is still one very fit and strong man despite some pretty serious operations due to a back problem (unrelated to his service) etc.

Guess what I am trying to say is that the lifestyle he had in his young adult years certainly toughened him up to be able live to a fairly ripe old age while still being very active and healthy.
              I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

yes I was in the navy for 5 1/2 yrs and air force for 3 yrs. I loved the navy until I got married then had hard time cos I was always away at sea but it was great. I tried to join up again a few yrs ago when I found out what a cook just off course was getting paid to what i was getting paid at that time and doing the job of a higher rank outside.

Basically go for it, good money with all the free benefits of medical and dental and plenty of opputunities to go away overseas, if you want to get even more money quicker and you dont get panic attacks for being in confined spaces for long periods of time then get onto subs.

Good luck
                DOCWA

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

Comment

Spent 5 and a half years with the navy. Got out in Jan last year. If you do it, go for Avionics for sure!!

Great work, great people. I enjoyed it, but like all jobs, there's shit parts as well. Don't take to much notice of initial traing because once you've done all your courses and training and get out there, it's completly different and really enjoyable.

If I had my time again, I'd go into Navy aviation or submarines. Great money and when you get out later you'll have some awesome qualifications.

PM me if you want some more details.

Comment

are the ADF salaries tax free??

I know the reserves are but not sure about full time employees.
                      Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

Originally posted by ChOOkiE@Jan 11 2006, 04:57 PM
                        are the ADF salaries tax free??

I know the reserves are but not sure about full time employees.
                        [snapback]213107[/snapback]

Nope, you pax tax on salary unless your in a war zone. Then you get tax free pay and port allowance and other incentives. There's heaps of benefits and lots they don't tell you about as well.

Gotta do ya research!

Comment

Dubs

Comment

whats the age cut off at now? last i saw it was 27

Comment

Originally posted by horse@Jan 11 2006, 05:11 PM
                              whats the age cut off at now? last i saw it was 27
                              [snapback]213115[/snapback]
                              I'm pretty sure it's 35 now. I remember we were all notified about it a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X