Getting Started: Jet Ski / PWC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started: Jet Ski / PWC

So summer is around the corner and would love to add a new floating toy to the collection. Can't justify buying brand-new for now so any pointers for buying second hand?

I have some boating experience / skippers ticket but a bit of a noob when it comes to the PWCs.

REVs check..
    Reasonable wear and tear / hours..
    Common issues to look out for..

anything else?

Cheers guys!
    just the tip..

Have not got any pointers for you but my parents are selling there jet ski if you are interested.

Seadoo Supercharged 2007 and Dunbier Trailer
    Yellow and Black
    3 seater
    215 hp
    Selling for $12000 ono.
    Not sure how many hours it has done but can find out. It is in really good condition.
    Tremulous skeins of destiny
    Flutter so ethereally
    Around me but then I feel
    It's embrace is that of steel

Comment

If you dont know what you are doing, go to a shop like Fridays Jetskis and either get one from there or get them to have a look over it for you.

Depending on what you are after, there are heaps of decent priced entry level skis out there that are good fun. There are also supercharged monsters that will tow 2 biscuits around with ease so depends on what you are after.
      A man's dog can live on nothing but anger, the taste of its own balls and smaller dogs.

Comment

Why not hire one instead?
        Lots of people buy them and then get bored and it sits in a shed costing u more n more money../
        How often will u actually use it? Maybe keep track of how often u actually would before u get one
        Maintenance is expensive...
        "Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over"

Comment

stay away from seadoo, they arnt designed awell as the yamahas

a good secondhand ski is kawasaki 12 good and reliable and great on fuel

Comment

Originally posted by 369 View Post
            So summer is around the corner and would love to add a new floating toy to the collection. Can't justify buying brand-new for now so any pointers for buying second hand?

I have some boating experience / skippers ticket but a bit of a noob when it comes to the PWCs.

REVs check..
            Reasonable wear and tear / hours..
            Common issues to look out for..

anything else?

Cheers guys!
            Two Questions

What is your Budget?

And what is the extent of your mechanical knowledge? (0 being you scratch your head and go "flux capciter" 10 being you can rebuild a motor from a service manual land be confident it will start)

Comment

Just bought the ultra 300x 2012 model pick it up in 6 days not that I'm counting

I'm not worried about getting bored with just cruising around on it because it will also be my fishing boat lol

Let me know if you get one dude and we can head out for a blat

Comment

ive never been bored on a jetski, i dont know where any1 gets that from

Comment

Thanks for the response fellas, optimistic view: will be using the ski several times a month during summer and being pessimistic: only a couple of times a year. I have around 10k to play around with so would like something that is relatively new-ish, I think I would score a 5 or 6 on the mechanical know how.

Arrghh.. the sunny weather is not helping my often impulsive buying decisions.

Originally posted by mys1 View Post
                  Two Questions

What is your Budget?

And what is the extent of your mechanical knowledge? (0 being you scratch your head and go "flux capciter" 10 being you can rebuild a motor from a service manual land be confident it will start)
                  just the tip..

Comment

Why no do on the seadoos?

Originally posted by paulzilla View Post
                    stay away from seadoo, they arnt designed awell as the yamahas

a good secondhand ski is kawasaki 12 good and reliable and great on fuel
                    just the tip..

Comment

fx sho for that price. take cash and make sure its not a grey import and if it is get it cheaper

Comment

hey paul where can i get a fishing rig?? those kiwi ones are too exp for what ya get

Comment

Yamaha for reliability, seadoo if you're a poser

mind you there's only so many laps you can do on the river before the novelty wears off lol

edit: did make a second post this morning about two choices in the yamaha range but it mentioned a mod had to approve the post? will try again tomorrow if it doesnt show up
                          Last edited by bakerboy; 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                            Yamaha for reliability, seadoo if you're a poser

mind you there's only so many laps you can do on the river before the novelty wears off lol
                            This guy is right
                            once you start to work on seadoo you will see the quality is just not there, its not well thought out and could be better.
                            Also they design some of there products to fail or wear after time like pumps and superchargers.
                            There engines are realy good but they do fail because they try and get too much horsepower out of them for there size.

stick with 4 stroke yammy and you will be fine

Comment

Working...
                            X