Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ten things YOU should know about WA anti-association laws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten things YOU should know about WA anti-association laws.

The control measures in the Western Australian anti-association legislation will limit a persons rights to freely associate with people by allowing the government to make a declaration on an organisation.

This will allow the government to obtain “control orders” over individuals who are members, former members or people involved in the running of a declared organisation.

This is what you need to know about this law:

1. The legislation will criminalise association instead of actual crimes.

2. The anti-association law is not limited to “outlaw bikie gangs”. The word “bikie” or even “motorcycle” is not mentioned once in the legislation. These laws could apply to SPORTS GROUPS, CHURCHES, ROTORY GROUPS and ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS.

3. Control orders can stop YOU from holding particular jobs, from going to certain places, possessing certain items and even from using a mobile phone or the internet all together.

4. The police can use SECRET EVIDENCE to place a control order on YOU, and you won’t even be told what that evidence is, let alone be given the chance to rebut it.

5. Even with that advantage, YOU will be judged on the civil standard of “balance of probabilities”. In a normal criminal trial you must be proven guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt”. Why? Because otherwise it is unfair (the state has more resources than you) and to reduce the chance of an unjust result (sending an innocent person to jail). Yet under these laws all the government has to do is show that their case for controlling you is slightly more convincing than your case to remain free.

6. This law can apply to CHILDREN from the age of 16.

7. These laws will only be reviewed after five years, and there are no other inbuilt accountability mechanisms.

8. Controlled persons will have their personal details, including date of birth and home address, put online as part of a register that can be accessed by ANYONE.

9. This type of legislation has NOT been proven to work in any other country in the world. In fact, this type of legislation has been tried in other Australian states, and every time the High Court of Australia has found it unconstitutional.

10. Every single offence under this law, whether it be associating with another controlled person, recruiting a person to a declared organisation or even allowing a declared group to use your premises, is punishable by a minimum of TWO YEARS imprisonment.

Link?

Comment

2. The anti-association law is not limited to “outlaw bikie gangs”. The word “bikie” or even “motorcycle” is not mentioned once in the legislation. These laws could apply to SPORTS GROUPS, CHURCHES, ROTORY GROUPS and ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS.
      Personally the sooner they round up the Attadale/Bicton cricket club and lock them away - the safer we'll all be.

but - yesm link please?
      Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
      Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

Welcome Clay, interesting 1st post but nothing new. We all know the potential for misuse of these laws, but lets be honest, they are targeted at specific groups. Tell us a little about yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Old frt View Post
          Welcome Clay, interesting 1st post but nothing new. We all know the potential for misuse of these laws, but lets be honest, they are targeted at specific groups. Tell us a little about yourself.
          Don't you mean 'at the moment' they are targeted at specific groups?

There's no getting away from the fact that this sort of thing is a direct removal of basic human rights. Just because they are ostensibly aimed at some undesirable groups doesn't justify that. This is a removal of things like the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof resting with the prosecution.
          "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Do you honestly think the government would introduce the toughest laws in the country, laws that eradicate every one of its citizens, not just the bikies, basic civil rights, just to stop 300 men from hanging out? They are targeting a specific group now, but who next? Wont take long to knock 300 men out of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by devolved View Post
              Personally the sooner they round up the Attadale/Bicton cricket club and lock them away - the safer we'll all be.

but - yesm link please?
              It's Melville and Applecross I want put against the wall ... well moreso specific individuals than the entire club.

Comment

Look at what our government wants to do with our access to the internet,

Yeah I don't trust these sort of laws, or more how they may be potentially extended or misused
                Fuck this, lets ride

Comment

if thats the case and the sky really is falling...then henny penny here still has the option of moving to 6 other states..

Comment

Originally posted by Roady View Post
                    if thats the case and the sky really is falling...then henny penny here still has the option of moving to 6 other states..
                    If it is Constitutionally legal , I would say that the bill be passed Federally pretty quickly. [wipes sweat from tin foil beanie]
                    Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Interestingly, if we had some sort of bill of rights, this couldn't be introduced. I think that should tell us something.
                      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Dont the Americans have a bill of rights though Sventek?, it seems they just ammend it whenever required, which does seem to remove the point slightly.
                        Like chaining the key to the chastity belt to her nipple.
                        Last edited by Rips; 15-03-2012, 10:20 PM. Reason: head voices
                        Ask not what your country can for do you,
                        But what is your country going to do to you next?

Comment

Roady don't go to NSW or SA as they have the same or are trying to reinstate.

This is what Geoff Gallop said in relation to the Preventative Detention and Control Orders in 2005:
                          There is no doubt that these powers are extraordinary, but I stress that the bill is not about increasing ordinarypolice powers. These powers can be used only in specified extraordinary circumstances and are consequentlyaccompanied by rigorous safeguards, including full judicial and parliamentary reviews. The bill achieves theappropriate balance between ensuring the safety and security of all Western Australians and protecting our
                          rights, freedoms and liberties. I commend the bill to the house.

These powers were never intended to be extended beyond terrorists. Now they have. I'm with Clay 33 - they will find a way to define new groups that they want stopped. Its an easy way to do policing.

Comment

So lets assume it goes bad as& we PSBers are targeted, half a dozen of us get picked up on a ride & incarcerated.
                            Will the governor then be charged with providing us with a place to Associate? That is, the prison...

Comment

Originally posted by Lolly View Post
                              Roady don't go to NSW or SA as they have the same or are trying to reinstate.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

i guess that just leaves me ..The Hutt River Province... i hope prince Leonard is more tolerant..

Comment

Working...
                              X