• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Nights Lightning Storm.

The sun sets on a hot day

The clouds give a hint of what is to come

Sun down and all looks calm

And then.....

Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

This pic looks superb! Absolutely love the colour:

Great shots of the lightning - the last few shots look pretty scary

How did you mange to time the shots of the lightning? I would imagine you would need to anticipate it to some degree.

Also, what sort of exposures were you using?

I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

Orsm stuff. Why didn't you call me out damn it!

Comment

Im with you on that Leo , that shot is superb !!!!!! (they all are great, but that one is the bomb as it would be called in the ghetto)

Comment

Nice pics Robin.

Your going to have to teach me how to use a camera one day...

Comment

Orsm stuff. Why didn't you call me out damn it!
            [/b]
            ^^WHS^^
            sigpic

Comment

Awesome Shots!

Tigerleo I think you shoot lightning by keeping the shutter open for a long period.....thats why the road has streaks of light...from all the car headlights

Comment

Awesome Shots!

Tigerleo I think you shoot lightning by keeping the shutter open for a long period.....thats why the road has streaks of light...from all the car headlights
                [/b]
                Certainly with the night shots without the lightning and with the streaking of the headlights - more curious as to the shots of the lightning itself as lightning is bright and it does move therefore too long exposures would result in it being very fuzzy I would have thought.

Comment

ive got a lightning and or fireworks function on my camera makes it easy to take awsome shots
                  Is Dead

Comment

Tips for taking lightning shots.
                    Set up the camera on a tripod and point the camera roughly to wards the storm, get it focused on at least one building. Set your camera to one of its smallest aperture openings to increase your focal range as much as possible and take shots in long exposure sections... pic after pic after pic.... in total that night i took about 150-200 pics 40 of them had lightning... but it was a very predictable storm... most times you will get maybe 5 shots from every 100 or so if your lucky

Most of these pics were taken using between 15 to 30secs, and the wind did affect some shots as it was whipping up the neck strap which I later secured, Focus was set to Auto, and one focus point (out of 7) was given priority. However due to the low light the camera often does a focus sweep when the shutter button is half depressed (on its way to becomeing fully depressed) and as i was not checking the focus each time, I was just exposing shot after shot, there is some slight variation in focus between shots. The pic with lightning next to the Telstra building is a prime example, luckily the auto focus only cost me one photo as I tried to pick a bright object to focus on, most of the time this was QV1... it worked great until they started to switch off their lights.
                    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Long exposure would be the only way to do it. That's why everything looks bright, neon signs are illegible blobs and the roads are streaky instead of car-filled.

I'd say TigerLeo's favourite would be somwhere between 5-10 seconds exposure at... maybe f/8?
                      Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
                      (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Comment

Tips for taking lightning shots.
                        Set up the camera on a tripod and point the camera roughly to wards the storm, get it focused on at least one building. Set your camera to one of its smallest aperture openings to increase your focal range as much as possible and take shots in long exposure sections... pic after pic after pic.... in total that night i took about 150-200 pics 40 of them had lightning... but it was a very predictable storm... most times you will get maybe 5 shots from every 100 or so if your lucky
                        [/b]
                        Thanks for that:

OK - use a tripod (naturally) - but I imagine it was quite windy last night hence the images still being a tad blurred even on the tripod?

Yes a small aperture to increase the focal range/depth of field - but what sort of the shutter speeds? 15 sec, 10 sec, 1 sec? (I am specifically interested in the lightning shots and not the general night time images.)

Interesting that the lightning looks so sharp in some of the pics yet the buildings themselves look soft. Were you using a manual focus setting to focus on the buildings or prefocusing the auto focus lense?

And OK, you had to take heaps of shots to capture the lightning - that was what I would think you would need to do, but wasn't certain whether you just had lightning quick reflexes!

Comment

They are some awesome shots I tried to capture light once but with a 35mm SLR it gets a little expensive when you get nothing but black sky...

They were taken with the 350d right?
                          Greetings from beyond the back of beyond...

Comment

Thanks Heaps for these.

The only time I seem to change my desktop lately is when nature does something spectacular and you get pics of it.

Unlikely adventures require unlikely tools.

Comment

They were taken with the 350d right?
                              [/b]
                              (that's a yes)

Comment

Working...
                              X