any resident DJ's in the house??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any resident DJ's in the house??

Hey guys, just wondered if we had any DJs on here? pros or hobbyists alike, would like to pick your brains. I used to play a few club spots and a lots of private gigs, parties etc at the weekends. Had to sell all my gear a while back when I relocated and massively miss it so want to start spinning again.

Did the standard and had a pair of CDJ's and have only used cd's / mem sticks live (and a couple of Numarks until they bit the dust) so figured it's the way forward again but was wondering if anyone's fully digital with a controller/ laptop? Have seen some good ish prices on the DDJT1 etc and was thinking traktor or serato might be the way forwards, or the alternative being a set of cdjs then have the option of a lappy later on..

How reliable are the mac's? you hardly walk into a club without seeing an apple logo lit up nowadays, but I'm a bit paranoid..

What setup do you have? any general reccomendations would be awesome

2 x CDJ400's
    2 x Technic 1200 mk2
    Behringer DDM4000 Mixer
    Macbook Pro with Traktor
    Big loud speakers.

I tend to use the CDJ's and Traktor most of the time, saves having to burn CD's. Never had an issue using [MENTION=9722]Chewie[/MENTION]s Traktor S4 though I like having the option of playing all 3 media.

Shady 7/8ths doesn't believe in having a laptop to DJ with. Instead he uses a Denon with built in hard drive along with CD's and Vinyl.

Comment

Paging [MENTION=11435]d0t-bat[/MENTION]

I can't speak for the DJ setup because I am a talentless noob, but the Macbooks are ultra reliable. I've tinkered a bit with my own at d0t-bats setup, both worked flawlessly with Pioneer gear and various generations of Macbook Pro.
      such comment
      wow
      many post

Comment

2 x Denon DN-S 3500s
        1 x Denon DN-HS 5500
        2 x Stanton straight arms
        1 x Behringer DDM-4000 digital mixer
        2 x 8" Behringer speakers (loud as for a small unit!)

Lights n smoke machines n shizzle.

I don't use Traktor or similar software, I just like top flip discs and vinyl.

What would you like to know?

The full digital tables are pretty good from what I've seen, but I still believe in the 'art' of turntabling.
        Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
        One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
        . .

Comment

Never touched cd, mp3 etc..

I HAD...
          2 1210s
          Djm800
          And a shitload of vinyl

My ex has it all... I don't wanna talk about it.

Comment

[MENTION=28486]Herbie[/MENTION] has played a few local clubs, IIRC.

Same with [MENTION=32646]Sentient[/MENTION] - never used CD's or Serato etc.

Iv got some Gemini decks & a Numark mixer boxed up at home.
            Used to get right into it, but was more of a bedroom DJ than anything else...

Iv got a stack of great vinyl at my parents somewhere... Often thought about getting it all back out again for some fun, but I havent. Yet!

Iv been into DJ factory a few times tyre kicking, dreaming of getting some Technics and a DJM800... If only!

Comment

Originally posted by Shady7/8 View Post
              2 x Denon DN-S 3500s
              1 x Denon DN-HS 5500
              2 x Stanton straight arms
              1 x Behringer DDM-4000 digital mixer
              2 x 8" Behringer speakers (loud as for a small unit!)

Lights n smoke machines n shizzle.

I don't use Traktor or similar software, I just like top flip discs and vinyl.

What would you like to know?

The full digital tables are pretty good from what I've seen, but I still believe in the 'art' of turntabling.
              I'm not sure really, I've never tried traktor with either CD decks, turntables or a controller, (only the software on a laptop) so would be good to know if it handle's similarly on each.. I love turntablism, but the only thing that puts me off nowadays is being able to get hold of a good range of vinyl. Had to sell off my collection, had a pair of numark TTX's that were great to dust off but doing party's etc meant that they were just to much to lug about eventually.. love being able to loop and remix on the fly a bit more dynamically on the cd decks too.

I liked the Numark CDX's I had because you could get the full size vinyl feel with the platter but with a disc of a few hundred tracks on, but they ended up continually crashing in the end.

Is there any real difference in traktor on the controllers and the players? The only real advantages I see are being able to map on the controllers, and having CD as a backup if your laptop does decide to die from someone spilling a drink on it or something..

Originally posted by Dirty32 View Post
              [MENTION=28486]Herbie[/MENTION] has played a few local clubs, IIRC.

Same with [MENTION=32646]Sentient[/MENTION] - never used CD's or Serato etc.

Iv got some Gemini decks & a Numark mixer boxed up at home.
              Used to get right into it, but was more of a bedroom DJ than anything else...

Iv got a stack of great vinyl at my parents somewhere... Often thought about getting it all back out again for some fun, but I havent. Yet!

Iv been into DJ factory a few times tyre kicking, dreaming of getting some Technics and a DJM800... If only!
              Ooo, where abouts is DJ factory? Did try googling for some stores but the best I found was JB hifi and as of a couple of months ago they seem to have sacked off the in store demo's they had

Originally posted by Cam View Post
              Paging [MENTION=11435]d0t-bat[/MENTION]

I can't speak for the DJ setup because I am a talentless noob, but the Macbooks are ultra reliable. I've tinkered a bit with my own at d0t-bats setup, both worked flawlessly with Pioneer gear and various generations of Macbook Pro.

Ah fair dues, cheers I'm usually not a fan of apple stuff but I've been playing about with various win 7/8 laptops and it seems like there's literally always some sort of error that crops up!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaw View Post
                Ah fair dues, cheers I'm usually not a fan of apple stuff but I've been playing about with various win 7/8 laptops and it seems like there's literally always some sort of error that crops up!

Oh, I have heaps of errors when I'm using my Macbook Pro and D0t-bats DJ setup, or my own dinky little "Babbyz First Deck" I have to play with, but it's entirely related to me being a talentless shitwit that can't beatmix to save his life

The software and hardware is flawless.
                such comment
                wow
                many post

Comment

There was some (female) DJ on Snog Marry Avoid a few weeks ago who looked to be playing on some sort of great big touchscreen. What the hell is that about?!?! Back when I was playing it was vinyl or CD's. That serrato final scratch thing was pretty new - no clubs in Melbourne were using it. We used to walk five miles through the snow to gigs etc etc. Ahh good times.
                  Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

I use CDs only. For my home set up I run 3xCDJ850s through a djm-800. Cheapest way to replicate the club set up for me. Tried Serato and traktor but never really liked it.

Clubs have mostly upgraded to cdj 2000s and nexus CDjs now (complete with magic sync buttons now too haha) and mostly all run djm-800s too.

I use JB for all pioneer gear - works out cheapest for me!
                    Originally posted by devolved
                    I did once have a chick yell "Take me with you" as I rode past on my GT250 once, I can only imagine the chick-pulling power of the 650.

Comment

Working...
                    X