Drilling walls and power line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling walls and power line

OK, I am going to hang my little cube speakers on my wall this weekend, but the problem is that it is above a power point (or near it)

Is there anyway of checking if there is a power line in the wall cavity you are about to drill similar to a stud finder?

or do power lines are pretty much runs straight up and down in the wall cavity?

its a single brick wall

sorry for the noob question...
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

If it's a single brick wall, there's no cavity.
    FTP

Comment

Power lines in cavity walls run all over the place.
      Why do you need to drill right through the brick though?
      I rarely drill much more than 25mm and use wall plugs.
      Incidentally cables do run in single brick walls but usually only above light/ fan switches etc.

Edit:- power points in single brick walls are normally vertical and cased in PVC conduit.
      If you can get up into the roof space you should be able to find it.
      DON'T TOUCH!!'
      Last edited by Old frt; 22-11-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old frt View Post
        Edit:- power points in single brick walls are normally vertical and cased in PVC conduit.
        err, ahh, conduit, if you or whoever built the house paid for it (or chased the GPO in later), not a standard thing by along shot!

Comment

ah... I assumes that with the foxtel people and power line the bricks would be hollow??
          maybe i will use a smaller screw as the speakers are small
          "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Why do you need to drill right through the brick though?
            I rarely drill much more than 25mm and use wall plugs.
            Incidentally cables do run in single brick walls but usually only above light/ fan switches etc.

If you can get up into the roof space you should be able to find it.
            DON'T TOUCH!!'
            Originally posted by rgvlee View Post
            err, ahh, conduit, if you or whoever built the house paid for it (or chased the GPO in later), not a standard thing by along shot!

This^^^ Most houses in recent times they just chase the wall, chisel out the brick, lay wires and plaster over :o I've also seen wiring AND water pipes run diagonally across walls (not fun when you hit one that should be miles away ) You can get testers that are like stud finders that show up any wiring though
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I've got a water pipe that runs horizontal along the wall after the builder had to relocate a tap

The moral of the story is, don't assume anything.

Comment

how much would one of them gizmo cost?

Comment

One of these will tell you that there is power there. By no means foolproof however.

A lot of sparkies carry them.
                  They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Just turn the power off and use a battery powered drill.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
                      If it's a single brick wall, there's no cavity.

However, it still may have power in it.

Just turn the power off and use a battery powered drill.
                      Will stop you getting a boot. Won't stop you busting the power cable in the wall and breaking your shit Which if it is single brick, will mean cutting into the wall, re-running the cable, re-plastering over, re-painting, etc...

Big pain in the arse.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post

Will stop you getting a boot. Won't stop you busting the power cable in the wall and breaking your shit
                        True but the odds of actually hitting cable are fairly low.
                        Worse case scenario, chisel it out, repair cable, spakfill wall and drill another hole to hang a picture over the bodgy patched area.

Comment

True but the odds of actually hitting cable are fairly low.
                          Worse case scenario, chisel it out, repair cable, spakfill wall and drill another hole to hang a picture over the bodgy patched area.
                          actually my luck is pretty bad...

was going to drill a wall in the laundry... marked holes to drill... GF came in and said, why dont we move it a little to the left instead....
                          ended up drilling into my water pipe.... plumber came in and chisel wall out and showed me how small the pipe is, and how I just managed to knick the side of the pipe enough to cause a leak....
                          now everytime my gf does the laundry, there is a ugly unpainted section on the wall to remind her of her good idea

Comment

^^ as per what he said. murphy's law applies. previous house i lived in, the owner drilled through a water pipe putting up shelving. my house, a guy drilled through my antenna cable fitting our range hood...
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

In a single brick wall, cables usually run vertically or near vertical (by law i think they can go about 50mm either way) in a chase.
                              If where you're drilling is more than 50mm for the most part you wont hit the cable...but then again you might!
                              turn the power off and hope you don't hit the cable, or else it may end up being one expensive hole

Comment

Working...
                              X