Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government shows common sense with online shopping (AKA suck a dick Harvey)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government shows common sense with online shopping (AKA suck a dick Harvey)

Shoppers can buy goods worth up to $1000 from overseas GST-free | News.com.au

SHOPPERS can keep buying Christmas presents and other goods worth up to $1000 from overseas GST-free after the Federal Government said it would create "chaos at our borders'' to change the rules.

While it admitted this exemption was unfair to local retailers and the threshold was very high by world standards, the government said it was putting consumers first.

It also said any extra GST collected from lowering the threshold would flow directly to the states so if they wanted the money they would have to help pay for the overhaul of processing systems.

Retailers have called for the government to urgently reduce the threshold, saying it gave an unfair tax break to foreign retailers.

A GST review by former premiers John Brumby and Nick Greiner also called for it to be immediately cut to $500 and said there was no reason why it could not be as low as $20.

Read more: Shoppers can buy goods worth up to $1000 from overseas GST-free | News.com.au
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

if they want a level playing ground and it costs more than its worth to lower the international threshold, then raise the domestic threshold to $1000. if those businesses are going bust anyway, its not like any tax revenue is being lost and preserving jobs has benefits too. if australia became <$1000 duty free it would reduce the cost of living and make traveling cheaper and more attractive to tourists.

every dollar earned in this country is taxed anyway. if they want to protect tax revenue but not penalize local retailers then tax reform is the easiest way.
    Last edited by g0zer; 04-12-2012, 07:56 AM.
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

good news,

Business is fond of saying "let the market decide" without govt laws and influence,

well this what we have Gerry and his mates can just suck it up
      National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

That's just retailers upset that their scam is up. But even if you ad 10% to something I buy online, if you're marking up 40% i'm still gonna buy it online.

Anyhoo it's a win for us so i'm happy

Comment

its not just Gerry thats taking the hit here, he'll weather it out just fine, you cant get 24 months "interest free" from OS, its the smaller retailers that are going to get squeezed.
          I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
            its not just Gerry thats taking the hit here, he'll weather it out just fine, you cant get 24 months "interest free" from OS, its the smaller retailers that are going to get squeezed.
            I can't beleive people still fall for that scam.
            Originally posted by Desmo
            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

They complain about the 10% markup when the chance is that 10% rarely covers the cost of postage...

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                I can't beleive people still fall for that scam.
                All good provided you don't go 24 mths and ONE day

Comment

This is a good decision :-)

Comment

There is also an inquiry into "geo-blocking" (try purchasing high quality music downloads online) and why Australians should pay a few hundred more for a software download (from Adobe for example) than elsewhere.

Comment

This also happens for some online book retailers who realise that books are expensive here, and so up the prices if you log in from Aus.
                      "Speed Kills". The stupid person's answer to a complex problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X