Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organics on Mars?

Martian organics? Too soon to tell, NASA says

So let me get this straight; NASA spends $2.5b USD to send a bad arse Martian rover to the red planet to search for signs of life, notably organics and then when they do find it, they think it could be contaminated by something from Earth?
    For serious?
    Last edited by Desmo; 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM.

looking at those pics it occurs to me once they do all their analysis and generate all the data, they will be able to recreate those conditions and see if something here can survive there. that would be cool. if we cannot find life elsewhere we could plant it there ourselves.
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Probably some dirt bike riders got there first. "DAKAR, the Red Planet"
      -

Comment

I think they are being VERY careful with what they release, after being burned by hype in the recent past it is understandable.

Comment

Conspiracy...
          Announce a huge discovery to be announced that will change history, a week later come out all sheepish and say 'Oh hai, was just earth dirt lolz'
          It's the illuminati, reptilian, greys.

Comment

Jesus you're not a scientist are you? Carbon atoms and molecules tend to look the same no matter where you go. I imagine you can never totally rule out terrestrial contamination as it would be very difficult to send something built entirely on earth and scrub it clean of all earth-based organics. Of course they would have come close and may have succeeded but it would be dangerous to rule it out completely. Not to mention this is some of the first bits of analytical data collected and the mission still has a whole Mars year to go! It might find more tangible evidence that life existed or exists on Mars.
            Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Fuck man I was taking the piss...

Comment

No Sentient I was relying to the original post!

Comment

Cool, carry on lol

Comment

I assumed it meant contamination from Earth millions of years ago from a meteor strike or something. Not contamination from equipment we have sent to Mars.
                    -

Comment

What spun me out the other day was organic compounds detected on mercury.

Turns out, organic compounds can actually be synthesized in a supernova (or something) and don't necessarily mean life.

So it could be that, too...
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Might be that as well Agrid. Certainly we have had meteorites (of Martian rock) fall on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                          Jesus you're not a scientist are you? Carbon atoms and molecules tend to look the same no matter where you go. I imagine you can never totally rule out terrestrial contamination as it would be very difficult to send something built entirely on earth and scrub it clean of all earth-based organic.
                          Of course you can, they spent $2.5 billion dollars sending this thing to Mars to look for one thing, then when they find it, they state it may have foreign contaminants in it.
                          From Earth. Seriously, WTF?
                          I'm sorry, but if you are spending that sort of money on a device to do a specific job, you would want to be shit sure that the thing was cleaner than Lloyd Rainey's boot when you send it into space.
                          I do agree with [MENTION=17857]Skut[/MENTION] that the are just being extra careful after previous egg on face situations, but what a bullshit excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                            I assumed it meant contamination from Earth millions of years ago from a meteor strike or something. Not contamination from equipment we have sent to Mars.
                            It's (possibly) either.
                            It shouldn't be from the machinery.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                              Of course you can, they spent $2.5 billion dollars sending this thing to Mars to look for one thing, then when they find it, they state it may have foreign contaminants in it.
                              From Earth. Seriously, WTF?

translation:
                              we think we found evidence of life, but the fruitloops will revolt if we announce it. we need to chat with the pope so he can revise the catholic dogma before giving a press conference.
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X