New vs refurb: What would you choose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vs refurb: What would you choose?

I'm looking at a bluray and sound system for the house. We're not huge sound/picture buffs so a comprehensive (read expensive) system isn't necessary, but I would like a bluray player and speaker package. I have found a bluray and speaker package for a decent price from good guys, (SONY 3D BLURAY HTIB 1000W SAT), and shopping around online for a comparative price I find the same system from Grays Online for more than $100 cheaper.

Now the Grays offer is a refurb model. I read a bit about what this means, see the quality control they advertise about their products but still the word 'refurbishment' is one I find myself being cautious around.

So I ask you, have you bought from Grays before and what was your experience with them? Are they fair reputable? Is a refurb model of something just as good as new? Would you purchase refurb over new for a considerable savings or would you avoid the refurb and go the new product?

Does their website say what constitutes a 'refurb'?
    Knob broken on delivery - returned and replaced...
    Mesh on speaker ripped and replaced...
    Housing scratched and replaced...

If you can look past the fact that it's a tiny bit pre-loved, if the same warranty applies, and it is a bit cheaper, it sounds like it might be a good way to go.

Comment

refurbs are sometimes warranty returns too.....

if they couldn't get it right the first time they might get it right the second time, it's the apple business model.
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Working...
      X