Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a new fridge

Hi all,

After alot of whinging from my misses, she has finally managed to get me to agree in buying a new fridge. The one we currently have is about 12 years old. Motor has been replaced couple years ago, and is starting to make some strange noises, so really, might not be a bad idea to look at getting a new one.

The one we currently have is a large upright fridge freezer (freezer above fridge) which is good, but you know what women are like, always wanting bigger and better. (no pun intended)

She wants to look at getting a French Door fridge freezer combo, but looking at a few online, they all look very small. We would prefer to get one with an ice dispenser unit, kinda pointless to have a fridge tap in your house and not being able to use it.

We like to do quite a bit of entertaining in the warmer months and would prefer the larger shelf space for platters and the like.

My question is, does anyone on PSB have one on these fridges, and would they recommend them? What are your thoughts on them?

I'm also open for suggestions if you know of any different styles I can look at.

Cheers,

bkm2009

Just changed our side by side for a French door one. Has the freezer below. We got the LG 907L monster. It has a great layout for big platters etc, the double door thing for ease of getting drinks out, more compartments in doors and freezer than you can poke an icy pole at, and pretty LED lights.
    Awesome fridge but huge. Dunno if they have different sizes.

Comment

i always look for one that fits the gap i want to put it in, so start by measuring that.......

i also find a fridge with a light that comes on when you open the door is awesome and really handy when i'm looking for something to eat or drink in the middle of the night

it has even stopped me peeing in the fridge, if the light comes on as i open the door i know i'm in the wrong room

best of luck in your search
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Will follow this with interest. I have looked at a few fridges. But I found a lot of them have features I would like in others, so it gets frustrating. Be mindful that some of the ice makers don't have a water connector, you have to fill them up when they run out. Measuring the gap is a great tip. Also measure the depth of the fridge. I found some vary up to 100mm. Handles are important to look at too. Some of the ones I saw were not very sturdy...
        SP RACINGis supported by:
        MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
        Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
        Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

yeah jokes aside you can search for a fridge by size before you make the mistake of falling in love with a fridge that will never fit and only being able to compromise downwards from there

Search a Fridge by Size, Fridge Dimension Search - Appliances Online

if you have a size and a range to choose from in that size it does remove that shattered feeling you get when you find out the whirlpool side by side with built in ice maker and water dispenser you've been seeing in TV kitchens for years won't fit.

Comment

Don't just measure the gap you want the fridge to go into, also measure the doors you have to get it through as well to put it in place....

Nothing worse than buying a fridge only to find you can't actually get it in the house.
            Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
              Don't just measure the gap you want the fridge to go into, also measure the doors you have to get it through as well to put it in place....

Nothing worse than buying a fridge only to find you can't actually get it in the house.
              Shed should have a big enough door...
              SP RACINGis supported by:
              MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
              Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
              Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Yep the door gap is a great point. For the monster one we got (this one: http://www.lg.com/au/fridges/lg-GR-D907SL ), the doors had to be removed by the delivery guys, but it did then just fit through a standard 820 door. Which was just as well, as our backyard isn't accessible to go that way!

If you end up with a large one that needs the doors removed, make sure you tell the delivery company very clearly. I think the third person we told noted it down somewhere. Then we had the fun and games of watching the two guys do their first doors-off job. A whole day and two fridges later (yep, they busted the first one), we had our fridge in.

Good luck in the search

Comment

I picked mine up from Harvey Norman seconds (over the road from Harvey Norman on Scarb Beach Rd) and it saved us about $2k off the new price- ours didnt even have any visible damage, and most in there are the same so its worth a check.
                  A fair few of the ones I saw that were french doors you had to open up the freezer draw to get at your ice and it only dispenses water from the front- Totally useless IMO. If I need to open a freezer and dig ice out of a ice bucket, its almost the same as me making my own ice, so you may as well save that $500 extra they charge. The only plus is that it takes up SFA room compared to door dispensers.

We decided against a french door fridge in the end coz seriously- when was the last time you said "oh damn- I cant fit my 80cm wide oven tray in my fridge"? Normal fridges fit platter size trays fine anyway, and after having fridges before that have busted seals, I just couldnt trust those wacky french door seals to last more than 2 years.

Comment

I bought a stand alone ice maker for $250 holds 2 litres of water and drops ice every 5 to 15 minutes depending on block size, the only downside is having to top up the water when it beeps that it's run out and that you have to find a place for it.

Comment

We have a 1200mm wide fridge recess, so size isnt a problem, plus we have a large rear door & side access to get the fridge thru, so getting a fridge inside wont be a problem either.
                      After much deliberation with the Mrs, we have finally agreed to getting an LG door-in-door fridge. linky here

Comment

Good choice I reckon bkm
                        Pitching GG and HN against each other got the biggest % discount I've ever got on appliance stuff on that model, plus the LG offer.
                        Pm if you want anything more specific

Comment

Following on several years later, our fridge is turd. Seals are done, makes some horrendous noises and I have noticed it is none too cool these days. It is about 20 years old and was a freebie when emptying out the grandparents place.

Enough with my tales of refrigeration, which brand is good? Freezer top or bottom or who gives a? I want it big enough for beers and food, small enough to fit in my tiny house. Single door only.

Considering appliances online, due to free delivery but more importantly free removal of the old one.

Comment

Mate I got one at the JB Hifi 'Home' in Joondalup and paid about $50 extra for unpackaging/installation which was well worth it. They get rid of all the shit it comes with, plug it in and get it running*. I got a 'Hisense' brand with a 3 year warranty which will do because if it sucks, it'll get replaced within 3 years... but if it's just OK at least it will last more than 3 years.

I believe it was this one - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/whitegoods...-steel/674594/

I also asked if I can have it for $1k delivered and he said "ok"

*If you watched the poor bastards navigate my tiny hallways and doorways and not scratch a thing, you'd see how well worth the money it was. I nearly hugged them but they were both mean looking maori blokes and I don't think they shared the same sense of gratitude

Comment

Originally posted by bkm2009 View Post
                              Hi all,

After alot of whinging from my misses, she has finally managed to get me to agree in buying a new fridge. The one we currently have is starting to make some strange noises,
                              my fridge farts when I take the meat out too...
                              ...and as I sailed through the air in slow motion , my life flashed before my eyes , and I found myself completely bored

Comment

Working...
                              X