No announcement yet.

In the market for a new fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also consider how the doors open - you dont want them hitting walls and cupboards to the side of them.

FWIW - extended warrantys are a heap of crap. Australian consumer laws state that goods must be fit for purpose and are expected to last a given amount of time - for whitegoods I am pretty sure that figure is 10 years (definitely more than 5 anyway). Although no perveyor of added insurances wants their customer to know that. You could still be charged with labor to repair it though. What I have seen lately is the insurances for the labor and a temporary replacement while your unit is fixed / out of action.

Comment

Regarding awareness of how doors open, that was my big thing. The fridge I linked was the only suitable fit for my awkward fridge space. An inch bigger wouldn't open. An inch smaller would leave that shitty gap that people use to store their broom and dust pan

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
        Also consider how the doors open - you dont want them hitting walls and cupboards to the side of them.

FWIW - extended warrantys are a heap of crap. Australian consumer laws state that goods must be fit for purpose and are expected to last a given amount of time - for whitegoods I am pretty sure that figure is 10 years (definitely more than 5 anyway). Although no perveyor of added insurances wants their customer to know that. You could still be charged with labor to repair it though. What I have seen lately is the insurances for the labor and a temporary replacement while your unit is fixed / out of action.
        Yeh our fridge just sits against a wall, nothing either side so all good. More concerned over a good brand, I want at least 5 years out of it which I don't think is too unreasonable.

When I was a kid it was all westinghouse, kelvinator and F&P. Now I don't know, and the fridges I order at work cost about $30k which doesn't help me.

Comment

^Just order an extra one and get it delivered to your place....On the best brands I think most are pretty much similar these days...longevity wise. We had a Mitsubshi which shit the thermostat after about five years...coke tins would bulge and split.
          Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

If its anything like washing machines half of them are probably made in the same place, just found out that Electrolux make Simpson and some other brand washing machines - all in the same factory using the same parts, they just have different fascias... (and prices??)

Comment

Make phone calls and speak with people that repair them.
              One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                ^Just order an extra one and get it delivered to your place....On the best brands I think most are pretty much similar these days...longevity wise. We had a Mitsubshi which shit the thermostat after about five years...coke tins would bulge and split.
                If its anything like washing machines half of them are probably made in the same place, just found out that Electrolux make Simpson and some other brand washing machines - all in the same factory using the same parts, they just have different fascias... (and prices??)
                Yeh Seimens and Bosch are much of the same also in regards to kitchen stuffs.

There is a big Samsung one in my price range. 460L which sounds huge, think ours it 200 and something. also a 4 star energy efficiency so should save some monies on power usage compared the old workhorse.

Comment

Originally posted by INTJ View Post
                  Regarding awareness of how doors open, that was my big thing. The fridge I linked was the only suitable fit for my awkward fridge space. An inch bigger wouldn't open. An inch smaller would leave that shitty gap that people use to store their broom and dust pan
                  We had a similar issue, ~1100mm recess but only ~700mm between kitchen benchtop and nib wall meant we had to go double door

Yep they sell/own all these and more
                  AEG
                  Chef
                  Dishlex
                  Frigidaire
                  Gibson
                  Kelvinator
                  Simpson
                  Volta
                  Westinghouse
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

To buy, check out: https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/
                    Bought all our stuff in Aus through them and happy with the service.
                    Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Doug68 View Post
                      To buy, check out: https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/
                      Bought all our stuff in Aus through them and happy with the service.
                      Yep, and they take away the old one which is the biggest hassle of it all. Got my washing machine through them with no complaints.

Comment

Working...
                      X