Budget Surplus Abandoned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Surplus Abandoned

Swan dumps budget surplus pledge - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

So, the encumbent government has dropped plans for returning to surplus next year citing a drop in expected tax revenue as being a chief driver behind the lower expectations. Is returning to surplus as rapidly as they'd planned a good thing? Or is it more economically responsible to continue to invest in programs that could be construed as nation building at the expense of staying in debt for longer? Will failing to return to the black be the deathknell for the Labor Government? Could Abbott actually have done any better?
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Personally glad they dropped it. Pitching at windmills for little more than a psychological outcome. Most other nations are realising the hazards associated with austerity measures as opposed to stimulus right now.

edit: They are going to have to do a better spin-job than they have up to now to sell it as anything other than a failure (which is going to be the Coalition soft-target for sure).
    Last edited by Skut; 20-12-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah i agree with Skut. Returning to surplus so the pollies can have another thing to brag about at the expense of lower standards of living (higher taxes/costs, less aid) was just bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post
        Personally glad they dropped it. Pitching at windmills for little more than a psychological outcome. Most other nations are realising the hazards associated with austerity measures as opposed to stimulus right now.
        I don't think they've ditched it in the sense they've made a conscious decision to no longer pursue it, I don't think it was attainable in the first place.

They based the surplus on some highly speculative and sneaky sources of income.

Now the dust has settled and some egg head has gone shit this isn't going to happen, so we'll tell everyone 5 days out from Christmas that we're saving their jerbs.
        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Now we have to listen to Abbott say that he knew it wouldn't happen all along. I strongly doubt he could have done any better, but we are going to hear that rubbish politicking ad infinitum
          If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

How do you know when Gillard and Swan are telling lies and bullshit.

Their lips are moving.

Yes, I vote Libs

Comment

state govt's are also scrambling to implement cuts aust wide, they are bleeding money cos their income projections were too optimistic and they run at a deficit normally anyway. with the shortfalls due to a slowing economy the deficits are out of control. they need to balance their books sooner or later.

imho austerity is best sooner rather later
              Last edited by g0zer; 20-12-2012, 03:57 PM.
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

A major election promise was to return to surplus. From memory, it was one of THE key election issues.

They have failed. They have failed at plenty of other stuff.

Irrespective of whether it is a good thing or not, i'm sure plenty of people considered that promise when they were elected.

If they couldn't deliver unless economic conditions were more favourable, they shouldn't have made the promise to deliver.

Saying "errr actually, we might have fucked up" at the 11th hour is a cop out.

Either they LIED intentionally or have no fucking idea what they're doing.

Pollies need to be held to account to do what they were elected to do. If not, why the fuck bother with election campaigns if they're going to reneg anyway?

edit:
                This isn't a liberal vs labor issue for me (i think they're all slimy cunts). It's an over promise and under deliver issue.
                Last edited by thro; 20-12-2012, 04:12 PM.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yep, lets all grab our semi-aut..........

Oh well, suck it up princesses.
                  They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                    state govt's are also scrambling to implement cuts aust wide, they are bleeding money cos their income projections were too optimistic and they run at a deficit normally anyway. with the shortfalls due to a slowing economy the deficits are out of control. they need to balance their books sooner or later.

imho austerity is best sooner rather later
                    This leads us to the ultimate question, what are they (State + Federal) doing with all the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                      This leads us to the ultimate question, what are they (State + Federal) doing with all the money.
                      Golden parachutes, wars on the other side of the world, foreign aid, inflating the housing market, ferris wheels... list goes on...
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Stupid idea reaps stupid result.

Just populist politics that will bite the govt in the arse.

They bought into the 'surplus' argument, and now pay the price.
                        Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                        Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                          i read somewhere 80% of (vic's?) state budget is chewed up in public servant salaries. thats why QLD libs just sacked what 14000 people? i guess thats something in the order of a 10,000,000,000.00pa budget saving, and that 14,000 people is only a small % of the total number of public servants.

education, health, police, emergency services, defence what else? misc non "essential" services. CSIRO. education and health get the chop first, we are already started down the path of user pays for these things.
                          Last edited by g0zer; 20-12-2012, 04:33 PM.
                          Originally posted by Bendito
                          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Lol this has already been sent to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kapyong View Post
                              How do you know when Gillard and Swan are telling lies and bullshit.

Their lips are moving.

Yes, I vote Libs
                              The funniest part about this post is that you think the liberal party could do a better job.
                              Originally posted by Desmo
                              Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Working...
                              X