Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of Bali as a tourist destination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Para045
    replied
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    If it's not industrialised and turning a profit for corporate fatcats in the US then it gets labelled developing or third world, a country can't just be a country with it's own culture and way of doing things it must be assimilated.

As far a rubbish on the streets I'd hazard a guess most of it is deposited by westerners.

Left to do things their own way the Indonesian people are entirely capable of sustaining their own population and way of life, they only fall short through trying to please a tourist market they lack infrastructure to support.
    +1 I gotta admit until I went there 2 years ago I always imagined Bali to be a rat infested shit hole like you see some of the places like Vietnam etc in the movies but I was pleasantly surprised as to how it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought :o Yes it is behind Australia in terms of infrastructure like roads etc but I was amazed at how the Balinese took care of themselves and their shops etc considering their lack of income etc It certainly wasn't as backward as I'd expected and the people are for the most part wonderful and friendly

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the rubbish was from tourists as we still get rubbish left on our streets and we aren't "3rd world" It really made me think about how well they do over there with so little compared to certain sections of our community that are given so much but decide to live in 3rd world conditions and trash their housing

Would I like to live there permanently? No! But I do enjoy going there on holiday and supporting their economy and helping to improve their standard of living

Hell I'd rather walk through most of Kuta etc at night than Northbridge or The Cross :o

Leave a comment:

• okitoki
    replied
    Ah..., the joy of Aussie tourists who believe a good time is getting maggotted, being loud and obnoxious, "Aussie Aussie oi oi oi", picking fights with locals, "charming" locals of the opposite sex, public urination, vandalism, theft...... If they get into trouble, because they are Aussies so they believe they should be saved by the government. (Bali boy, Thai bar mat lady to name a few)

Well, fortunately not all Australian tourists are like that.... But the ones that does it do leave a very bad impression to the locals..... Most of them are just to polite to threaten to stab you..

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied
    Originally posted by Guil View Post
    It's not a third world country...
    Don't take it too much to heart, Australia has places that can be considered as the Third World as well... shit.. third world would be being generous to places such as Roebourne.

Leave a comment:

• Drasius
    replied
    Originally posted by CitizenD View Post
    Desmo has woken up in places you'd refuse to even know about.
    I've heard exmouth is like that.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Guil View Post
    If it's not industrialised and turning a profit for corporate fatcats in the US then it gets labelled developing or third world, a country can't just be a country with it's own culture and way of doing things it must be assimilated.

As far a rubbish on the streets I'd hazard a guess most of it is deposited by westerners.

Left to do things their own way the Indonesian people are entirely capable of sustaining their own population and way of life, they only fall short through trying to please a tourist market they lack infrastructure to support.

Leave a comment:

• CitizenD
    replied
    'shit hole' - 'third world' Colloquial synonyms.

Leave a comment:

• Guil
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CitizenD
    replied
    Originally posted by The Mighty Red View Post
    have you been there ? when I go on holiday I dont want to be sitting waiting for my breakfast watching rats running around , I dont want to walk down the street and see rubbish everywhere, step out of the resort and onto the street and the place is/was a dump, yes its a 3rd world country but i dont see why that should change my opinion or expectation of the place
    Desmo has woken up in places you'd refuse to even know about.

Leave a comment:

• The Mighty Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Desmo View Post
    A third world country with appalling poverty and standards of living?
    Well I never.
    have you been there ? when I go on holiday I dont want to be sitting waiting for my breakfast watching rats running around , I dont want to walk down the street and see rubbish everywhere, step out of the resort and onto the street and the place is/was a dump, yes its a 3rd world country but i dont see why that should change my opinion or expectation of the place

Leave a comment:

• Desmo
    replied
    I was there for 3 weeks and yes i couldnt wait to get the hell out of there , balinese natives are wonderful happy people but the poverty and standard of living is appauling
    A third world country with appalling poverty and standards of living?
    Well I never.

Leave a comment:

• CitizenD
    replied
    I was there for 3 weeks and yes i couldnt wait to get the hell out of there , balinese natives are wonderful happy people but the poverty and standard of living is appauling
    That Paul sounds like a real prick.

I select my travel destinations based on an indoor plumbing and ablutions facilities scale. If I want to crap in a whole in the ground, I'll go camping.

Leave a comment:

• The Mighty Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Desmo View Post
    So you are basing your entire opinion of a place from a single visit (indicated by the fact you say you'll never go back) 12 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• Desmo
    replied
    well if you like sitting in a restaurant waiting for your meal and watching Rats as big as cats running around I say go for it , rubbish piled up on the streets , I'm sorry if my comment sounds harsh but its the truth , If they have cleaned the place up good because it sure as hell needed to be
    So you are basing your entire opinion of a place from a single visit (indicated by the fact you say you'll never go back) 12 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied
    Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
    Go for it I say. Bali without pissed agro bogansAustralians would be fantastic.
    Originally posted by thro View Post
    Might be a worthy destination when it isn't full of drunk bogans.Australians
    Fixed.

Never seen the appeal of going there... same retarded pissed fuckheads that populate Perth. Difference being you have now travelled 4 hours cramped into a shitty plane with the same retarded fuckheads you have just shelled out four figures to get away from in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• The Mighty Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Brougham View Post
    Wow. Isn't that nice?

I'm sure to take your advice.
    well if you like sitting in a restaurant waiting for your meal and watching Rats as big as cats running around I say go for it , rubbish piled up on the streets , I'm sorry if my comment sounds harsh but its the truth , If they have cleaned the place up good because it sure as hell needed to be

Leave a comment:

Working...
X