Quick question for the tool buffs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question for the tool buffs.

First year apprentice electrician checking in. Just bought this Kinchrome 3/8 Socket set. Imperial and metric. Before I open it, was it worth getting imperial and metric or should I just have bought metric?

Just gonna be used for unistrut, dynabolts etc.

If you take it back I assure you that you will need an imperial socket next week.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

you already got it so it cant hurt to have both just keep it.

most stuff is metric but you get the odd bit of imperial shit had a set of Allen keys never used the imperial ones, till Sunday shaft on the power steering pump had an imperia allen key every thing else was metric.
      In a Land Rover your car is the crumple zone.

Comment

Yep keep it as its got the accessories and many you'll need.

Next step, buy a deep Metric 3/8, 8mm-19mm sockets only set.

Comment

Nah youll need them one day, might be handy to get imperial and metric allen keys aswell up to 10mm / 3/8 for when you might one day terminate industrial breakers or service tilt pole lights.
          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Get some Gearwrenches
            -

Comment

Ratchet spanners +1

Can never have enough tools. I've got that same socket set

Comment

Well its opened now. Thanks for the advice everyone. Apart from a few things I don't need for myself yet like a laser level I've now got every tool my tradie has in his van.

Comment

Imperial sockets can be really handy on metric bolts too, if you roud a metric bolt you can get lucky with some imperial sizes getting the job done with a little tap.

Comment

as an app sparky, do you get that gov assistance for tools?

most tool suppliers do apprentice packs.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
                      as an app sparky, do you get that gov assistance for tools?

most tool suppliers do apprentice packs.
                      Yeah, $800 after 3 months then $1000 at the end of each year. I didn't go for the apprentice packs I've just bought stuff as funds allow. Here's my tool kit 8 months into my apprenticeship. Hammer drill, angle grinder and socket set look brand new because they are!

Comment

Ratcheting spanners are a god send and a must for any tool box.. Make sure you get offset ones and switchable.

Im a big fan of Kinchrome of late. Quality tools at fair prices.

Something like this would be suitable for you im sure. KINCROME Tools & Equipment - Product Catalogue

Also T bar allen keys are better than normal ones for most jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
                          Ratcheting spanners are a god send and a must for any tool box.. Make sure you get offset ones and switchable.

Im a big fan of Kinchrome of late. Quality tools at fair prices.

Something like this would be suitable for you im sure. KINCROME Tools & Equipment - Product Catalogue

Also T bar allen keys are better than normal ones for most jobs.
                          Why do I hate you right now? Next pay those ratchet spanners will be joining the crew! What do you think about the ones with the flexible heads?

I also want a set of these. I used these the other day and can't recommend them enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer. View Post
                            Yeah, $800 after 3 months then $1000 at the end of each year. I didn't go for the apprentice packs I've just bought stuff as funds allow. Here's my tool kit 8 months into my apprenticeship. Hammer drill, angle grinder and socket set look brand new because they are!

Wow, they stepped the $$'s up, at last.

I dont see a set of these young fella.

Double as very useful on the bike as well.
                            They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Buy these, WRENCHES > Ratcheting > Reversible Combination > | GearWrenchâ„¢
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X