Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you give Sonia a home?

This is Sonia.

She is seven years old and has spent the bulk of her life living in a cage. We've been caring for her for the past month and she has really come into her own. She is VERY loving, playful and possibly borderline retarded

If your not familiar with greyhounds, this is their default setting:

They sleep for about 20 hours a day and only need a short daily walk.
    What sort of home is Sonia looking for?
    One where she will be treated as one of the family. Although she is perfectly OK to be left by herself when you are out, by nature Greyhounds are very much like a second shadow. Although they don't have to be constantly patted (not that Sonia won't like that) they are very happy just to hang out in the same room as you. They are also very much an indoor dog. Their skin is very thin and they burn and feel the cold easily.
    Although she is largish, she is not very strong and she is very lazy, so anybody can take her for a walk.

If you feel Sonia is your kind of dog, send me a PM. She is fully vaccinated and fixed, although when she goes to her permanent home you will need to get her micro chipped.
    I am more than happy to take her back if after a week you find she is not the dog for you.

(backstory: She is not my dog, I am just fostering her and teaching her how to be pet)

She is also quite the talented Pianist.
    Can you help with foster care?
    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Lovely dog is lovely. Wish I could help myself mate.
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. She is very clean and house trained. She'll go to the toilet when you get up and you can leave her home while your at work, she'll go to the loo when you get home.

Comment

Greyhounds, the opposite dog to how you would perceive them to be.
        Gorgeous dogs.

Comment

awe she's beautiful. il ask my old mate joe if we can have her on his 5acre property to play with his other resue dog, buddy the german shnauzer

Comment

She is VERY loving, playful and possibly borderline retarded
            A bit like German short-haired pointers.......
            “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Comment

She looks gorgeous unfortunately with my lifestyle I can't have a dog- it wouldn't be fair to her. I hope you find somewhere for her
              Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why do greyhounds need muzzles when walking in public but no other dogs do? From what ive heard they aren't an aggressive species so why make them look intimaditing with a muzzle?

Good luck in finding her a home

Comment

Because they like fava beans and chianti.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by deeman111 View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, why do greyhounds need muzzles when walking in public but no other dogs do? From what ive heard they aren't an aggressive species so why make them look intimaditing with a muzzle?
                    I wondered this also the other day after meeting another rescue...beautiful.

From the Dog Act 1976:

"33. Special provision for greyhounds
                    (1) A greyhound shall, except while it is on premises occupied by
                    its owner, be muzzled in such a manner as will prevent it from
                    biting a person or animal.
                    (2) Section 31 applies to a greyhound subject to the following
                    modifications —
                    (a) the exemptions in subsection (2)(a) and (b) of that
                    section shall not apply;
                    (b) a greyhound is exempt from section 31(1) while it is
                    participating in a greyhound race or trial held under a
                    licence issued under the Racing and Wagering Western
                    Australia Act 2003; and."

-Some other words-.

What nonsense - particularly with the culture of breeding for success and reliance on rescue to clean up.

I hope she gets rehomed. I have no interest in racing but a greyhound running free is the epitomy of grace. Too many are bred and thrown away. Did I say they are beautiful animals?

Comment

Originally posted by deeman111 View Post

Good luck in finding her a home
                      Old laws that never got repealed mostly.
                      As a breed they have a very strong prey drive, which is then fully encouraged from a very young age. After retiring, it is very hard to suddenly teach them not to chase small white fluffy things. Most are fine with other dogs, some (my Rex included) never lose their drive so have to keep the muzzles on.
                      Sonia hasn't shown much interest in other dogs, but she will have to wear a muzzle while in public from a purely legal stand point. One thing people need to know is you can't have greyhounds off leash in public. Laws again, coupled with the fact it is almost impossible to teach them recall.
                      Amazing pets, you just have know what the can and can't be expected to do. I like to think of them as big cats.

Comment

I met a greyhound a while ago. Couldn't believe how soft their coat is. And beautiful natured, they are [sorry for the Yodaspeak]
                        Got a dog already. Good luck to Sonia. Definitely sounds the go for someone who doesn't want too much dog activity.
                        Our mutt prefers walks to food..... but food comes a very close second....
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

oooh my untie and uncle in lesmurdie said that they would love her . please pm me your ph number and i will pass it on to them. thanx

Comment

Met your dogs at Shents, love to take Sonia, our labs would be fine with her but the rabbit may not approve.

Comment

I made a small FB page for her.
                              If you'd like to share it around that would be very much appreciated.
                              :-)
                              http://www.facebook.com/Sonianeedsahome

Comment

Working...
                              X