Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted Xmas present animals being dumped already

Just saw a piece on the news.
    Shenton Park Dogs Home and Cat Haven already getting hammered from people who don't want their furry Xmas present.

People do make mistakes, but this was in the news early in December [don't do it], last Xmas [why did you do it?], and every xmas before that.

What thought process causes a person to think a live animal is a good thing to surprise someone with at Xmas???

ffs.... the word moronic springs to mind.... and animals should not be sold down at the shops!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Sad. But it doesn't surprise me. PLenty of idiots out there.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Any birds being handed in for adoption?

Comment

Originally posted by peter600 View Post

ffs.... the word moronic springs to mind.... and animals should not be sold down at the shops!
        Have you ever been to the breeders down Gosnells way? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
        Originally posted by polonY
        Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

I see so many pop up through the rescues and that's not even the whole of it this is the main reason I got my pedigree am staff desexed, I just couldn't bare the thought of her pups being in that situation.
          I just wish the government could/would do more about it and stop backyard breeding too many lovely animals are being pts because of over supply and plain greediness.
          Ryad
          Gone but never forgotten
          Rest peacefully mate x

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
            Have you ever been to the breeders down Gosnells way? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?
            Have no idea what yr getting at....
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Agreed Peter600. If you're not sure if you can look after a dog or cat for 10-20 years, don't get one!
              Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                Agreed Peter600. If you're not sure if you can look after a dog or cat for 10-20 years, don't get one!
                The animal is a gift, so the person who is to be looking after it isn't the person choosing to buy the animal (along with the responsibility for it).
                Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

Yes, very sad but oh so very true. My wife and I were just discussing the other day about adopting another dog or cat and I said to wait until after xmas as I'm sure that there would be plenty of unwanted animals needing homes, just didn't think I would see the reports so soon.
                  I thought "throw away society" usually meant material things, not animals

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  Sad. But it doesn't surprise me. PLenty of idiots out there.
                  "Farewell, shitty day, don't forget to fuck thyself on the way out"

Comment

Urban Animal Management

This is a poorly understood area with many in power who have no idea of it yet make decisions that cause problems. The Dog Act 1976 is an example.

There are many sound reasons on why pet shops should not sell dogs. There are many puppy farms breeding dogs for profit only both in WA and Eastern States. While there is a demand for dogs these cretins who run these will continue.

Sterilisation schemes will always fail when the market demands dogs, puppy farms will continue to supply.

Education program's that contain information on responsible decisions on obtaining dogs are needed. They are available but after twenty years they sit on shelfs not used.

Comment

yeah was pretty sad to see the report, was even worse to hear when they said its not even the peak "dumping" season yet. Thats usually around Febuary when the puppies are starting to become more of a handful and less cute.

Personally i would never buy a puppy/kitten from a pet shop and i dont think they should sell them. There is plenty of "cute" and healthy dogs in pounds and if your just wanting a family pet these are more than suitable. I can understand some people what that specific breed or pedigree and thats fine as usually the breeders you get these dogs from are not cowboys and have pretty strict rules when you do buy from them.
                      An example is a mate of mine wanted a pure bred American Staffy, so they went to a breeder had to go a fair few meetings with the dog and the breeder before being selected to actually get a puppy. They also had to commit to continual dog obedience training courses, the breeder is in constant contact with them about the dog and they are also not allowed to breed the dog once the right age he gets desexed.
                      They now have an amazing very staunch dog, who can get a bit crazy at times being of teen age but is well trained and knows his place soon as my mate raises his voice.
                      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by peter600 View Post
                        Have no idea what yr getting at....
                        Its because your not using your noggin.

Go check out some of the breeders out in Gosnells and you will soon realise that pet stores and "backyard breeders" are not the issue here.
                        Originally posted by polonY
                        Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

I believe there should be a waiting period before being able to buy a dog, and that there should be a test to obtain a permit. This test would include ensuring people know that puppies will be scared and keep you awake at first, that digging and chewing are certain, and that the prospective dog owner understands basic training and very basic dog psychology. This would not only reduce the number of dumped dogs, but also the poorly treated ones. It would not be a major impost on what is typically a 10+ year commitment, and the permit could be a once-off.

Comment

Dog Owner Behavioural Management

A couple of guys in Perth developed a handbook for dog owners twenty years ago. Part of PHD research. First time in the world that animal behaviour and law put together on how to comply with the laws.
                            Was suitable for a Dog Owner License, they took this to the Minister with a proposal on licensing owners, if you desexed, if you did the voluntary test fees were low. If you did nether fees were higher. So was incentive based.

A complete Dog Owner package for Local Government was developed.

WA government refused to use this because it was a world first and had not been used elsewhere in the world.

These two guys banged their heads for ten years before the rejection by Dept of Local Government beurocrats and gave up.

The answers are out there but it is not a political issue until a dog attack gets press coverage then knee jerk laws are passed that have not worked elsewhere in the world.

WA is the punitive State where passing restrictive laws is the fix all bandage.

PS this "Dog Owner Behavioural Management Program" was run for four years in a Perth Local Authority with offences detected against the Dog Act reduced by fifty percent and same result for dog impounding. The accountant said this had ruined his budget figures!
                            Last edited by Graelin; 31-12-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                              I like to think I won't be around for that next 20 years, but instead that my cat will inherit my estate with his own butler and the likes.

Comment

Working...
                              X