Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next big thing in telephone operating systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next big thing in telephone operating systems?

Looks good: Ubuntu OS Hands On CES 2013 - Business Insider
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

This looks pretty interesting, I'd be pretty keen to try it out!
    I wonder if you can change much around like you can on the PC OS versions.
    I've noticed that Android is a pretty heavy OS and seems to sap alot of memory and CPU power, wonder if linux runs a bit more efficiently?
    There would also be the issue of aftermarket apps, they all get made for Apple or Android, they'd have to find a way of running an emulator...

Comment

I'ma go out on a limb and alienate you, and say that you really don't know what you're talking about Dimmerz. Not meaning to be rude, or offend you, but yeah. There's so much wrong with your post it's laughable. Go educate yourself a little.

On topic, I've been running the 12.04LTS compiled for ARM on my HTC One X for quite a while now. The beauty of the 'nix OS is that when you shoehorn the phone into a dock with a HDMI and USB port, you basically have a fully fledged pc. Although it's quite laggy. Given time, this will change, but for now performance will be the biggest issue. As for usability and cross platform support, it should be quite good as there's already a lot of apps and companies making big strides into Ubuntu thus far (see Steam on Linux for example). I'd be interested to see how much of a fork Canonical's OS version of Ubuntu is in comparison to their desktop one. Hopefully it's nothing more than display/UI tweaks and ARM optimisation.

The only big issue I see is they're very late to the party. Can they catch up?
      Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

That last post is an example of why I so loathe buying new phones/computers/cars/anything vaguely electronic. There is always some smug, smarmy geek who spends more time swatting on specs than having a life and wears that "knowledge" as a badge of honour. Sure, you'll end up with the best phone for your money, but no friends to call on it.

Comment

The next big thing in telephone operating systems?

I agree with Fez, the post he was referring to was rather naieve wouldn't you say?

Originally posted by Ferris View Post
          late to the party.
          They aren't late, this is still very early days in mobile comms and I'd like to see them do well.
          However, Linux distros have become more bloated than any other OS on the planet and I hope this mentality doesn't transfer over to a mobile Linux OS.

Comment

Meh.

Ubuntu specifically or linux in general? Great, rock solid performance if you like the console but a buggy, clunky, laggy, slapped together pile of shit if you want to use a GUI.

I can almost put up with it on a computer where a bit of lag is accepted. But a phone? A device which I expect to be snappy and responsive and perform with the same flow as the old school ones with real buttons? Fuck that. I still don't like Android because of that same clunky feel.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
              That last post is an example of why I so loathe buying new phones/computers/cars/anything vaguely electronic. There is always some smug, smarmy geek who spends more time swatting on specs than having a life and wears that "knowledge" as a badge of honour. Sure, you'll end up with the best phone for your money, but no friends to call on it.
              Sure I may be a smug, smarmy geek, but I'll bet I put more kays on my bikes per year than you do, so I'd hardly add the "has no life" bit. I just like to be educated. Ignorance isn't cool. Don't celebrate or defend it.
              Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

I'm definitely interested in a phone, despite just picking up a new one myself. I wonder if you can compile your own build? Lubuntu phone?

Comment

"Ignorance isn't cool. Don't celebrate or defend it."

Sure, I agree. But if it's a phone, how much do I need to know?? I have limited space in my brain to know stuff, so I'd rather fill it with cool things like knowing how to play a guitar or rebuild a bike or remember the great time I had in Austria a couple of years ago. I also still play CDs and (gasp) - sometimes even records! Don't I know how to download? Sometimes just because something is the latest doesn't make it the best or even particularly desirable. My i-phone 3 still works just fine! :-)

Comment

Apply the same thing to a bike. Or anything. Then extend that argument to here. If you feel strongly enough to weigh in on a subject, at least have the ability to converse properly about the subject matter, and if you don't, then ask questions.

Know why you don't see me spouting off in investment, women or knitting threads? It's because I don't know jack shit about them. Saves me looking like a retard.

edit: btw, I'm not actually pointing that remark at you specifically. Just making a point.
                    Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Where's the knitting thread?
                      might knit myself a phone

Comment

It is interesting... I agree Gnome can be a bit laggy... But in saying that I normally run Ubuntu in VM's with little memory allocation or on older systems like Core 2 Duos with not much memory so it's not really a fair comparison to an i7 running Windows 7 or my i5 Macbook running OS 10.8 with 8gb ram.

I wonder if there will be other GUI's released for ubuntu mobiles... maybe KDE? I kind of like it, it will be androidy but perhaps with more tweaks/hacks. Could be very interesting. If a big manufacturer like HTC or Samsung picked it up it would not take long for android apps to be ported to ubuntu, I mean I can't imagine there would be a massive difference, just recompiled for Debian with a few tweaks maybe? Be pretty cool, you can run a apache on your 4G mobile and host webpages from your phone haha!

Comment

Working...
                        X