FIFO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFO

So how many psb members are FIFO and what sort of roster do you do. Have been offered a FIFO job and I have done 2/1 driving all over the goldfields before but this position is 4 weeks on 1 week off. I'm thinking too much work and not enough time to play. Thoughts?

I did fifo ex telfer for 7 years now based in perth Rio control centre doing 6/6 but go home each night, 2/1 is a very old roster these days but generally gets you more money.
    I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

FIFO

Doing 8/6 at clown break atm fmg are going towards 2/1 to save pennies chrissycreek is now 2/1 Solomon's 2/1
      4/1 is a shit roster and is mostly used in the constuction game.

My last stint away thank f@$k but to town and home each night
      Originally posted by Canada
      Even if I was interested in vagina I'd probably be looking for something a little bit stronger... I don't go for sissies

Comment

FIFO

Originally posted by Rennis View Post
        Doing 8/6 at clown break atm fmg are going towards 2/1 to save pennies chrissycreek is now 2/1 Solomon's 2/1
        4/1 is a shit roster and is mostly used in the constuction game.

My last stint away thank f@$k but to town and home each night
        Yeh this roster is on a mine under construction. The only good point I can think of is the money

Comment

I do a 3:1 and I find it mind numbing. The wages guys do a 4:1, and I honestly don't know how.. If I do FIFO again, I won't be looking for longer than a 2:1 personally.. but then some people do it no worries..

Comment

I spent 6 months out doing an 8/6 roster - i do HR so i've recruited anything for 9/5 days to 6/1 weeks, see some interesting people on those 6x1's

Interesting to hear about cloudbreak as my team and I Recruited 300 people to go up there last year, most of the guys were only interested as it was 8/6 (which i totally understand, 2x1 is even a stretch).

Depends on what sort of life you have /want / don't want, when you start upping the dollars the tax man starts rubbing his palms together...

Comment

My last FIFO gig was a 2/2 week roster (Santos in Cooper Basin) and i enjoyed it... did two years no regrets.
              Add your 4 weeks annual leave into the mix and you're even time and working 5 months of the year.

S.
              Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

a mate of mine was doing 4:1 as a construction sparky and he fuckin hated it. Sure he earnt a stupid amount of money, enough to not work for nearly 8mths all while building and finishing his house but he missed out on so much, outings parties piss up etc. He would travel in his own time so was work 4 weeks travel day 5 days R&R, travel day then start a 4 week swing again.
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Done 2&1, 9&5,8&6,6&3,2&2...now on 2&1...rosters don't bother me..would like to get out of U/G...

Comment

Currently on the 1st swing of my 4/2 roster, but given that it's international, it's pretty standard. Have done 2/1, 9/5, 8/6, 5/2/4/3, 4/4/4 and even 5/2/5/2/5/2/7/7 before.

I'd wager that as the companies realise the golden days are over, you'll see a slow return to 2/1 as the roster for the majority with only the places that desperately need to retain staff staying on 9/5 and 8/6.
                    Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

FIFO

I've done plenty 4/1 and everything in between, some even longer. The only good thing is the money and for me it was a means to an end to get a cushy 40hr week office job in Perth on the same pay.

It's a good way to get a start on the mines as not everyone is keen on the longer rosters. 4/1 of all days sucks ass, it's like Groundhog Day. But I had every hour of my week off pre planned with heaps of cool shit. Had a GF at the time but no kids. You miss out on a lot. It's a hard way to make a living but once you're there it's easier to eventually swing a shorter roster if that's what you want.

PIP's in construction are also pretty sweet.

Edit** actually never done equal time, 2/1 was the shortest I ever did. Was working away for about 5-6 years total. But did have a fair bit of extra time off too.
                      I used to have a nice sig offering to shadow ppl. Now I have no sig...

Comment

I do 2/2 BHP hedland, works great for me, even with 2 kids under 6. Before i did a roster which was all over the place like a mad womans shit, and altho i was home every day i was either recovering from nite shift, trying to sleep for niteshift, or just growling at the kids like a bear with a sore head most of the time, just felt fatigued 24/7..

Now, when im at work all i have to worry about is work, sleep, and eat for 14 days, and whenim home i can forget about work for 2 solid weeks. Takes a day or so to get back to a regular routine, but when im home i feel normal for most of it, and usually by the time i have to go back to work, im usually ready for it.

I wouldnt go back to anything else..
                        'Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than it is to get permission..

Comment

My last roster (ended last year) was 2 months on, one month off. Now that's a roster.
                          It was brilliant! Free business class trip to anywhere in the world each break and travel was on company time.
                          Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Did 2 and 1 for about 6 years as well as 3 weeks on 2 off and have now been on 8 and 6 for a year. Personally, I'd be taking a good hard look at myself before going back to 2 and 1. Anything longer and I just wouldn't bother. The longer stints are a great thing to do for a year or two provided you don't go pissing your money up the wall. Save it all for a house or something else worthwhile, then get on to a more sustainable roster. The problem I've always seen, is these people get the job, then get into extraordinary dept on depreciating assets and get stuck doing something they hate just to keep up the payments. Even once they have paid them off, if they get out of the industry, they have nothing to show for their years of slogging it out since their toys have depreciated in value so much

As you suggest, there simply isn't enough 'me time' let alone girlfriend/wife/kids/family/midgetinyourbasement time. You will miss out on the majority of events and lose contact with a lot of friends. You also feel like your whole life revolves around work.

2 and 1 is do-able for a fair while and I guess if push comes to shove and that's all my employer can offer I'd do it again. You still end up missing out on far too much.

8 and 6 for me is the perfect roster. I still feel enthusiastic enough to go to extra lengths on my last day and you're not constantly on a plane or in the airport. 6 days off is enough time off to have a good proper day of absolutly nothing to recover, a wild night or two and still enough time to catch up with mates, get shit done around the house and on the bike/car. You can even head off to Thailand or Bali for your break without taking any leave.
                            Giggity

Comment

double post
                              Giggity

Comment

Working...
                              X