The death of the Aussie 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of the Aussie 6

If you'd said to young boy me that in the future there would be no Commodore or Falcon, I would not have believed you.

In hindsight, I'm not sure why - I mean by 2013 we would all have had cars like the Jetsons - but still.... To imagine a future without these 2 icons is strange. Telling your kids about a time when every 2nd car was a Kingswood. Explaining why as boys we would spend all afternoon watching a car race around a mountain. So many more things...

Although not a bad thing per se - I do feel a little sentimental about what are essentially icons of Australian motoring.

I guess the Brits would have felt the same when they stopped making the Ford Anglia.

End of the road for Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore in 2016 | News.com.au

Will this be the end of Australian motoring manufacturing.
    Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
    Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Toyota going strong
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )

Comment

poppycock

they'd be insane to kill off the ute (the tax-minimizing man's 2 door sports car), which i'm sure will still be available with whatever the current corvette motor is from the states for years to come.

Also, pretty sure holden have fully electric commodore prototypes doing road testing over east....
      Last edited by thro; 16-01-2013, 12:28 PM.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

No it won't be the end of Australian motor manufacturering...

Do you realise we used to, and probably still export a large number of motors...

I was at the Holden engine factory in Melbourne back in '89 and watched finished and dyno'd 4 cylinder engines coming off the line every 45 seconds...

Every one of those was destined to be exported...

Comment

I don't understand the lack of a diesel or hybrid option in a Commodore or Falcon, surely that would inject some interest & viability back into the brands.
          The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

I’m going to miss the falcon taxis

Something about the massive leg room, the whining diff and squeaky brakes that is quite reassuring at the end of a boozy night

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post

Do you realise we used to, and probably still export a large number of motors...

I was at the Holden engine factory in Melbourne back in '89 and watched finished and dyno'd 4 cylinder engines coming off the line every 45 seconds...

The 'Family 2' I think it was called - was an awesome motor.

GM Family II engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Yep, that will be the one...

Comment

The local car industry are a lot like North Korea. Every so often they make proclamations of armageddon, until they get thrown some money, then they shut up again for a while.

I guess it's that time again.
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I think we should stick to what we're good at - making submarines!

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      poppycock

they'd be insane to kill off the ute (the tax-minimizing man's 2 door sports car), which i'm sure will still be available with whatever the current corvette motor is from the states for years to come.

Also, pretty sure holden have fully electric commodore prototypes doing road testing over east....
                      i dunno thro

1. Toyota HiLux – 37,526
                      2. Nissan Navara – 23,354
                      3. Mitsubishi Triton – 17,307
                      4. Ford Ranger – 16,459
                      5. Holden Colorado – 11,546
                      6. Mazda BT-50 – 10,946
                      7. Holden Utility – 7365
                      8. Toyota LandCruiser – 7315
                      9. Great Wall V200/V240 – 7081
                      10. Isuzu D-Max – 7066

bye bye Holden ute

soon all the bogans will be rockin fully sick Great Walls
                      I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post

the camira engine? it ended up in anything and everything, most notably shitty daewoos.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

As a side note I'm not liking the look of what I've seen of the VF so far...
                          AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

So if you bought a new XR6 Turbo or Commodore SS in 2016 and put them on blocks in a storage shed somewhere will they be worth a lot of money 10 or 20 years later?
                            I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                            2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Originally posted by Scott52 View Post
                              So if you bought a new XR6 Turbo or Commodore SS in 2016 and put them on blocks in a storage shed somewhere will they be worth a lot of money 10 or 20 years later?

Possibly. Possibly nothing, due to us running out of oil or having to pay insane amounts of tax to run them...
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X