Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been to Canada lately? - Visa question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been to Canada lately? - Visa question.

Hi,

Different sources tell me different things.

In short, Australians get up to 6 months visa on entering Canada with minimum 3 months i was told. Has anyone been there recently and can tell me how they determine whether you would get 3, 4, 5 or 6 months tourist visa on arrival?

Last thing i would want is to cross the border to Canada and only get a 3 months visa (would need about 5 months tourist visa)

Or do you get up to 6 months tourist visa regardless and my other sources are incorrect?

I also contacted the Canadian consulate in Sydney to give me some info on this.

Thanks.
    Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
    Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Find out if you need a visa to enter Canada as a visitor

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia...
    no idea how long you are allowed to visit for, its never come up
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I do know that g0zer but it does not answer my question tho.
      Nothing specifically says you get 6 months on arrival, it simply says up to.
      Friend who has been there mentioned the 3 months minimum period (quite few years ago)
      Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Comment

if you need to stay longer then you need to apply for an extension in country 30 days before your permitted duration expires- its all there mate.

edit: i expect you are looking for some way to guarantee an extended stay duration from the embassy. as a guest in anothers country i dont think you will get any guarantees (nor the freedom to dissapear in country from their radar for longer than the standard stipulation). unless you have some canada serving reason. you will get what they choose to give you and anything more is a gift. if you think about it, the forced checking in with passport control is standard practice for visitors in foreign countries.

furthermore, i expect their vagueness regarding duration is just the range that immigration control can give. my guess is immigration control in general provide the minimum reasonable, cos thats easy for them. if they dont like the look or sound of you immigration control can deny your visa exemption upon arrival and you will be back on your way to well anywhere else (same as the US) which is the drawback of visa exempt status- risk and responsibility is bourne by the traveller (i got an all expenses paid 3 month working holiday in the US once when a collegue forgot about a 15y/o weed possession on his record and got booted out on arrival hehe in a normal visa application that prob would have been identified before 7k worth of flights were consumed).
        Last edited by g0zer; 24-01-2013, 06:29 PM.
        Originally posted by Bendito
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Most work and travellers who want to stay there longer (then as a tourist) go there, stay, walk around the american border gate and head back in to stay for another couple of months. Same would apply for a tourist becoming a new tourist. Risk of not being allowed is there but low, so I am told. Extending your tourist visa when in the country most probably entails getting a medical and all sorts of hoops to jump. The american excursion is the easy way out on that one too.

Comment

Well i received an official word from the Canadian consulate:

"Australian and New Zealand passport holders do not require a temporary residence visa to visit Canada.

There are also no requirements to hold an electronic approval. Your passport must be valid on the date your seek admission to Canada and there are no requirements for your passport to be valid beyond your expected stay.

The duration of stay in Canada is awarded by an officer at a port of entry to Canada (generally six months is given - however it is possible to request a longer stay if needed). Entry into Canada is always at the discretion of the officer at the Port of Entry. (To view a full list of passports not requiring a visa to visit Canada, visit this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp.)
            When arriving in Canada you should have:
            • A return airline ticket or evidence of your onward journey out of Canada at the end of your stay;
            • Evidence of funds (such as a bank statement) to support yourself while in Canada without needing to work. You cannot work while in Canada as a visitor and you cannot apply for a work permit from within Canada.

Be aware that if you have a conviction (including any drink driving charges) you should make contact with the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney, Australia, to have a FORMAL assessment of your admissibility to Canada made. If you attempt to enter Canada without declaring prior convictions or charges you will be in breach of Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act."

So looks like there will be no problem to receive 6 months on arrival provided you have not been in any serious trouble with police.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X