Hit me with your best BBQ recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit me with your best BBQ recipe

I'm just finishing up restoring a pretty decent BBQ and am going to fire it up for it's maiden grilling in the next couple days.

For background, it's been many years since I've had an outdoor area worthy of a decent BBQ and it has been quite a while since I was last put in charge of the tongs.

So, what should I be cooking to ensure this celebratory event is a success?
    Come to the dark side. We have Bacon.

Steak.

Recipe:
    Buy decent steak
    Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
    Cook on barbeque
    *important bit* wrap in tin foil and sit for the same amount of time as it was cooked for. This helps keep the meat moist and it wont dry out.
    Eat

Comment

Chicken.
      Marinate overnight in yogurt, curry powder, coriander, lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste.

Put on BBQ.
      Can.Not.Fail
      Originally posted by Lefty
      Leave the OP alone, he's worried about all those extra CCs getting caught up in his fucking dress.

Comment

beer chicken. sounds weird but anyone who has done it will tell you its amazing. BBQ will need to have a lid and be big enough to fit a chicken upright.

Comment

Dont burn it, you cook on charcoal, your food shouldn't be it.

Low and slow.

As for food, lamb cutlets, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Basic but hard to beat.

Comment

Chicken thigh fillets marinated for 30min-1hr in honey & fresh lemon juice with oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
            Delish tender sweet/savoury chicken with tasty black bbq burn-y bits!

Also try scallops on the half-shell face up on the grill with a tiny knob of butter and a few drops of white wine and a little salt & pepper on each one, cooked with bbq lid on for 5-10 mins. Yum!!!!

Comment

Hit me with your best BBQ recipe

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/10...bs/search/true

By far the best BBQ ribs I have ever eaten. The boys in my house will give their left arms to have this for dinner. The BBQ sauce is definitely worth the effort.

I get chipotles sent from Melbourne but have a big bag if you want a couple to try. Don't know about the coleslaw though, not vouching for that recipe :p
              Originally posted by kenty
              these are my fucks, and I'm not giving them to you

Comment

Mate, you can't go wrong with a good marinara mix.

Easy. Buy from local supermarket - included prawns will be smallish so fatten up with some large raw prawns; I usually go 1/2 supermarket marinara 1/2 tiger prawns or bigger. Depending on your budget just proportion as you can afford.

For extra flavour I usually add some crushed garlic and Tabasco to taste.

Make sure your barby is hot when you put em on and cook em quick, flipping frequently. Don't overcook otherwise the squid/octopus will turn into rubber. 2-3 minutes is all it takes, enough for the seafood to lose its opaqueness. I usually cook this last on the barby so that it's served hot with the meat.

Jesus - I'm drooling at work...
                It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Originally posted by sopheecat View Post
                  USA: Barbecue ribs recipe : SBS Food

By far the best BBQ ribs I have ever eaten. The boys in my house will give their left arms to have this for dinner. The BBQ sauce is definitely worth the effort.

I get chipotles sent from Melbourne but have a big bag if you want a couple to try. Don't know about the coleslaw though, not vouching for that recipe :p
                  *drool

You've got my vote at this point. Keep 'em coming. Surprised there's been nothing yet involving bacon.

Comment

Restoring as in getting a new plate with it too? Make sure you season it first...which basically involves scrubbing it with some mild detergent and hot water, then once rinsed heat it with some oil.

I'd keep it simple...its amazing how many people have no idea how to cook a decent steak!

1) Buy good quality meat from a decent butcher
                    2) If it's been in the fridge, make sure you bring it to room temperature before cooking
                    3) Salt generously (or to taste) both sides. Gives you that nice caramelisation.
                    4) Get the BBQ / Pan / Grill as hot as you can
                    5) Use vegetable oil not olive oil, as with a hot plate the olive oil will burn leaving a shite aftertaste
                    6) Place steak on plate and DON'T FUCKING TOUCH IT!!!
                    7) Turn it once. A good indicator is press the steak with the tongs to see if it's cooked...alternatively once the blood comes through one side then turn it over. Generally speaking, ~4 minutes each side on a normal thickness steak should give you a nice medium rare
                    8) Let it rest once you take if off the BBQ for perhaps 2 minutes...you want the meat to relax but not go cold
                    9) Put it in your piehole

For some nice simple potatoes to go with it, dice some washed and peeled potatoes into ~2cm cubes. Put them in a bowl with some nice olive oil and garlic salt (I cheat and use the stuff in the jar). Microwave them for about 5 minutes so that the potatoes soften, give em a toss every now and then to ensure they are coated with oily salty goodness. Then cook em on the BBQ at a medium heat until they are soft and cooked through....YUM!

Comment

Originally posted by moshriff View Post
                      Restoring as in getting a new plate with it too? Make sure you season it first...which basically involves scrubbing it with some mild detergent and hot water, then once rinsed heat it with some oil.
                      Restoring as in cleaning the unit until it's shinier than new and replacing all the bits that can't be made new again. Keeping the old plate as it cleaned up real well, but replacing the open grills. Guy at BBQ Galore told me about the seasoning bit, I will definitely do it. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by moshriff View Post
                        8) Let it rest once you take if off the BBQ for perhaps 2 minutes...you want the meat to relax but not go cold
                        Next time you do one, wrap the steak in tin foil after you take it off the barbie. Makes a world of difference.

Comment

i find this bbq forum pretty good.
                          Aussie BBQ Forum • Index page
                          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Dread View Post
                              Keeping the old plate as it cleaned up real well, but replacing the open grills. Guy at BBQ Galore told me about the seasoning bit, I will definitely do it. Cheers.
                              If you're going to cook marinated stuff on your BBQ, buy one of those flexible kevlar(?) mats. It transfers the heat to the food, but stops you getting messy sauces and shit all over the barbie plate. The sheet can be washed in the dishwasher - hey presto, zero BBQ cleaning! Thank me later.

Comment

Working...
                              X