new australian consumer warranty laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new australian consumer warranty laws

is it true that australia has changed its consumer warranty laws so as a product must perform or hold up to what it is designed for for a reasonable amount of time - not just the manufactures warranty period

as i hear some conflicting stories in the media

and are those extended warranty plans are basically a scam under our new laws

new australian consumer warranty laws

I think they have something to do with how much something costs. An expensive phone ie iPhone is expected to last longer than a cheapo.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Look under "implied warranty Australia" in google, it will tell you what you need to know.

Comment

western australia has always had decent statutory warranties and that has always included the implied warranty, that a product should be of merchantable quality and meet expectations for suitability for service and service life....

extended warranties are not a scam as they are an official warranty and don't require involving consumer protection to settle a dispute, if the product breaks a week past your official warranty the western australian statutes and implied warranties still come into effect so if anything it increases our protections.
        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

this isn't new. it has simply changed from being the Trade Practices Act to the Australian Consumer Law. only the name is different. we have always had an implied warranty, rather than just the stated manufacturers one.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
            is it true that australia has changed its consumer warranty laws so as a product must perform or hold up to what it is designed for for a reasonable amount of time - not just the manufactures warranty period

as i hear some conflicting stories in the media

and are those extended warranty plans are basically a scam under our new laws
            Extended warranties were a waste of time under the old laws as well.
            There were provisions in the TPA 1974 that meant products had to last a reasonable amount of time, the CCA 2010 just made it more defined what reasonable might be.

For more info:
            Consumer rights & guarantees | ACCC
            Last edited by padfoot; 23-02-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Due to the changes in these new laws I recently had a perth electrical store swap a perfectly working, 2 year old 60inch LG Plasma (Top of the range) for a new model Panasonic due to LG not updating the firmware as they had advertised. I also had Apple replace my 7 month old iPad3 for an new iPad4 when it was released due to the device not meeting purchasing expectations.

It comes down to the question of "Would you have purchased the item at the time if you had known that it did X"

The new laws are awesome. But you must be polite but firm and show a history of requesting the seller assist you solve the problem.

Warranty is no longer dealt with by the manufacturers, it is dealt with by the seller, they then separately make a claim against their supplier.
              JP

Jason Hodges

Comment

^^^ again, none of that is new and has always been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                  ^^^ again, none of that is new and has always been the case.
                  in WA it always has been, but in the rest of Australia you have always had to deal with importers, sales agents, repair agents etc the seller had no interest in the product one you took possession of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bibendum View Post
                    Due to the changes in these new laws I recently had a perth electrical store swap a perfectly working, 2 year old 60inch LG Plasma (Top of the range) for a new model Panasonic due to LG not updating the firmware as they had advertised. I also had Apple replace my 7 month old iPad3 for an new iPad4 when it was released due to the device not meeting purchasing expectations.
                    Sounds pretty stingy if you ask me, no wonder we pay more for things.
                    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

this looks good

have a laptop bought from hn and mus be about 2 years old and lost its sound

lets see what they say

just have to find that invoice

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        in WA it always has been, but in the rest of Australia you have always had to deal with importers, sales agents, repair agents etc the seller had no interest in the product one you took possession of it.
                        The Trade Practices Act was federal legislation and it is what introduced the implied warranty provisions with terms like "fit for purpose".

When you specifically talk about WA, I assume you're referring to the Fair Trading Act, which was little more than repeating the federal TPA. So everyone's always had the same protection.

Retailers have always tried to palm off the responsibility when things go wrong. As always, it's up to the consumer to be aware of his rights and take the retailer to task if they do the wrong thing.

This "new" Australian Consumer Law is just trying to clarify the whole thing and make sure everyone realises it is standardised throughout the country. Same same but different.

The current batch of publicity this has got is going to be a fucking nightmare for retailers. The number of numpties who drop their phone in the toilet and turn up at the shop they bought it from 15 years ago complaining that Today Tonight told them it is the retailers responsibility, is going to be a pain in the arse.

Comment

Federal act or not WA was the only state that you dealt with the retailer directly for warranty

i'm sure there are plenty in retail who would tell you about the problems caused when companies from the east opened up over here and broke all our warranty rules trying to palm people off to someone else, it is a new thing in other states.

Comment

You guys sure know loads of stuff. Stop it. You are making me feel dumb, and I thought I was clever. Or ask some questions about guitars. I know about that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                              The Trade Practices Act was federal legislation and it is what introduced the implied warranty provisions with terms like "fit for purpose".

When you specifically talk about WA, I assume you're referring to the Fair Trading Act, which was little more than repeating the federal TPA. So everyone's always had the same protection.

Retailers have always tried to palm off the responsibility when things go wrong. As always, it's up to the consumer to be aware of his rights and take the retailer to task if they do the wrong thing.

This "new" Australian Consumer Law is just trying to clarify the whole thing and make sure everyone realises it is standardised throughout the country. Same same but different.

The current batch of publicity this has got is going to be a fucking nightmare for retailers. The number of numpties who drop their phone in the toilet and turn up at the shop they bought it from 15 years ago complaining that Today Tonight told them it is the retailers responsibility, is going to be a pain in the arse.
                              i think its the bull tacktics most retailers pull as they say have you read the warranty conditions and flog most people off like that

i also read gopros new warranty policy that has a specific clause for australian consumers that separates us from the rest of the worlds warranty

i think retailers thinking will start to change quickly now

Comment

Working...
                              X