Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Courses for Kids.

Hi All

My Son is a computer nut. Can write basic codes, he's done a gaming course where he writes code to generate his own game and also how to make an app...is there a good place online that is an good interactive online course. Ive found a place called Qantm College...any one got other ideas for places that he could look at and do a course. He has done basic coding...scratch ( btw I have no idea what that even is...so I hope I dont sound like a total fool typing that

Thanks ppl
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

How old is he? My 13 year old is a computer geek too lol

Comment

13 as well MsRae.
      hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Maybe we need to get the geeks together lol

My ex bought my son a raspberry pi. It's a little computer thingy that plugs into a tv and runs Linux so my boy is teaching himself Linux from a book at the moment. I ask him for some suggestions if you like.

Comment

One of the most useful courses to start with is touch typing, but nobody wants to do that. My organisation insisted that everyone is able to type at 35 words per minute before they are considered for promotion. I was one of the few who agreed. I see so many people in my workplace typing huge reports by hunting and pecking.

I also see many people using Excel as a database which inevitably come back to bite them. I would suggest a relational database course, even Access is better than nothing. Trouble is every kid want to be paid to design games.

I taught one of my staff Access and we developed a number of applications together. He took a year off and to travel the world and ran out of money in London. He went for a job as a parking inspector but when they found out he knew Access they put him on as an administrator. After a couple of months he had enough money to continue his trip.

Also mobile devices is a developing area. But not just iPhone which is in decline. Get him to fiddle around with PhoneGap or something similar a develop a little app.

Maybe you can think of something for him to build. Doing a course is one thing but unless you can put what you have learned into practice right away, its easy to forget.
          -

Comment

Tricks of the windows game programming gurus is one of the best books on the subject imo. It goes right into the finer details required for any game. It's a little dated and uses C (not C++), but it's very easy to read and follow - great for a young fella.

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition): Andre LaMothe: 0752063323694: Amazon.com: Books

Also take a look on iTunes U, some great video courses on there especially for iOS development.

Comment

Thank you guys! Keep the suggestions coming please.

Comment

Ill be watching too lol

Comment

I've always thought getting amongst the 'code' side of things in computers would always be cool. Especially with gaming etc.
                  Good luck to your son Fastgirl!
                  Quantum looks pretty awesome, would love to afford that place haha.

Comment

Kids need courses in computing???? What the.....!!!
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Writing Code...

Comment

Re: Computer Courses for Kids.

Get him onto the Google developers site. Some brilliant resources there. C of some flavour is essential. Linux forces you to learn coding if you want to really get into the nuts and bolts of an operating system.
                        The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Code academy starts off slow, then gets more indepth as it goes. so good for anyone wanting to learn coding. they do html etc as well I think. All free too.

Comment

Computer Courses for Kids.

I'm sure there are some open source game engines around that he can tinker with.
                            I'll Google when I get time and get back to you.
                            If he's a true nerd, he'll pick it up on his own, he shouldn't need much guidance, just the right tools.

Edit: give him his link.
                            http://www.ogre3d.org/
                            Might be something to whet his appetite for now at least.

Comment

Re: Computer Courses for Kids.

You should signup for Google to find the Computer training classes center for kids in future. You can find good computer center either from Google or from other classified sites.

Comment

Working...
                              X