Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muslims praying towards Mekka, required accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslims praying towards Mekka, required accuracy?

I saw this family in a parking lot today and they were rolling out their mats and then set off to presumably pray all in a certain direction. Now I am curious as to the required accuracy while praying because I am pretty sure their heading was off significantly. Technically as I see it they need to perform a half handstand pointing in to the earth or else as the crow flies NWish. They were hailing South Africa instead. The thought that counts or does the proper Muslim bring a compass, a terrestrial globe and a cert IV ticket in advanced navigation to the table?

Muslims praying towards Mekka, required accuracy?

Islam is all about intention. If they used all the tools/skills they have to try and point them selves towards Makkah, then it's all good

But it's 0913, I guarantee they were spot on as someone would have used the iPhone app
    Last edited by Manyak; 01-10-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Yeah I suspect that's it.

I mean, say you were lost in the desert and had no idea where you were, it's not like your god is going to smite you for praying in the wrong direction, surely?

(assuming for a second the existence of said deity, etc.)
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I saw a guy stop on the side of the road and get his mat out and do this.
        What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
          Yeah I suspect that's it.

I mean, say you were lost in the desert and had no idea where you were, it's not like your god is going to smite you for praying in the wrong direction, surely?

Well apparently he is an angry and jealous god.... Therefore quite likely for smitey smitey
          Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
          One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
          . .

Comment

Arse in the air in the general direction of the clouds and I reckon they got it hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by Manyak View Post
              But it's 0913, I guarantee they were spot on as someone would have used the iPhone app
              iPraise?

Comment

While in Dubai, one of the Egyptians in the class had an app on his phone which let out a prayer (like you would hear from the Mosque loudspeakers) telling him when he needed to run off and do his thing.
                Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Yep, there's a app for that.

It's when you have three people using different apps that give off a *slightly* different compass reading is when you need to stifle the giggles
                  Originally posted by vk6hgr
                  My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

I saw a few blokes start praying in the aisle of a train back home.
                    Damn inconvenient trying to step around them when it pulled into a station.

Comment

You guys have seen them too?

They're invading, taking over, our jobs! Our women! Derpa derp derpity derp! Rabble rabble!

I give them credit whether they get the direction wrong or not, at least they make a commitment to their religion and live up to the definition of religious, not like these people who call themselves Christian because they went to church once....
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

God knows when you are thinking of him....no need to go every week...thats Vicars needing collection for salmon and cucumber sandwiches that started that! lol!!
                        Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

I remember offshore when we got to our work cabin one of the guys found a nice rug/mat rolled up on top of a locker, thinking nothing of it he thought it was a perfect size and shape for a floor mat for the entrance. Rather innocently we all used it for the bulk of the day to wipe our boots clean of oil based drill mud and slime from the rig. Only to discover it was one of the guys from the other shift's prayer mat.... whoops.
                          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

I found the screen I watch movies on Malaysian Airline flights useful to find where Mecca is. I couldn't help myself, pushed all the buttons I could find. Watched where we were on the globe, the next push in what direction Mecca was.
                            Had a peak in the praying room and decided I'd probably get more knee room if they dispensed with the praying room.

Comment

In hotels O/S they have a little arrow on the roof.

I'd presume you don't need to verify it with 3 other sources.
                              Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                              Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

Working...
                              X