What are we missing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are we missing???

Hi guys, my stepson is about to buy a car. He is in Perth and told us about the email conversation with a seller in NT. The seller will freight the car for free etc etc. Alarm bells went off. Then when I saw the email, I couldn't find a scam! Gotta hate that? So now I throw it out there...is this koshe? I get suspicious when terms like 'clear title' are used. Plus, he didn't mention Sean's name and hasn't stated the model in the email. I hate being paranoid but not as much as hating being a victim! Cheers, Hewzie

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I work for the Department of Defence and I was transferred to a new military base in NT. I am providing Pre-Afghanistan Deployment Training (Desert Training).

If you are still interested in buying my car, I’m asking $2600 (I’ve lowered the price because I’m running out of time). The car is road worthy. Rego until December 2013. It has a clear title, very well maintained, always garage kept, excellent condition, runs and sounds 100% perfect with no leaks or noises. Engine starts right up, sounds great and there are no strange noises. No hail damage. I have to sell the car as fast as I can because in three weeks I will be deployed to Afghanistan and I’ll stay there for a while. I intend to buy a new one when I get back home.

I also need to know if you have the cash to buy the car, because there are a lot of interested buyers. The car is here with me at the military base but you don’t have to worry about the distance I can bring the car to you on my expenses, so if you're interested, let me know.

Details:

WA Registration#: [email protected]@@ (it was revealed, just not showing it here!), 87000 Km’s. Rego is until December 2013. Just had it serviced. Mechanically A1

You’ll love the car, I can guarantee you that!

I've also attached some pictures so you can take a closer look at the car.

Cheers,

James
    Justine.... Always and Forever

Why has he told you what he is doing? Sounds off to me, especially if that is what he is actually doing. Also how are you going to pay cash if he is going to deliver the vehicle to you?

Ask for his contact number, and speak to him.

Also see if you can pay a local mechanic to give the car a once over and report back to you.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Sounds scammy.

edit: see frt's comment below.

Comment

It's a scam, the freight alone would be half the purchase price.

Comment

What unit is he based at? Why would you sell it when you'll be back in a few months?
          RS 250 - TTW Heads, Cougar PVs, Arrow Pipes, Gilles Rear Sets, Tyga Rear Tail, Hel Braided Lines,
          Paint job by Potato (Straightline2Ten)

Comment

not as obvious as most scams but still smells dodgy to me.
            The fact he is so forthcoming with info on what he is doing is what raises my suspicion.
            Plus why would u buy a car interstate for $2500, its gonna cost you at least $1000 to get it to perth and re-licensed.
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

I'm guessing that cos it is WA rego, he may have free vehicle transfer, being a Govt military man and all.
              But the photos don't show NT, more like Perth background. See....I'm getting paranoid!
              Justine.... Always and Forever

Comment

be paranoid, ask him to take a picture of the car with todays paper
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Hewzie View Post

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I work for the Department of Defence and I was transferred to a new military base in NT. I am providing Pre-Afghanistan Deployment Training (Desert Training).

If he was legit, he wouldn't say this.

I had something very similar a few years ago. Ask him which 'military base' he works out of.

The way he has worded 'Pre-Afghanistan Deployment Training' is way off, trust me.

Scam written all over it.

Comment

I'd say scam; who the fck is going to bother with freighting a car half way across the country for $2600???

Comment

Offer him $1750 cash, if he accepts, it's a scam.

Not that there's any doubt about it.

Ask his rank, I'd take a punt at rank amateur.

Comment

Just got transferred where he is providingtraining.

3 weeks later he is then going to afghanistan.

scam.jpg
                        Originally posted by Rich...
                        You got me in trouble...

Comment

Pretty sure we are withdrawing from Afghanistan by the end of this year.

Pretty sure there are no "new" military bases in NT.

Scam, or possible scamola.

Check gumtree/carsales/carsguide for the same make/model and see if he has just copied some pictures/info from there.

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                            Scam, or possible scamola.
                            This made me chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                              Pretty sure there are no "new" military bases in NT.
                              There's a new Top Secret base being built. He'll tell you all about it

Comment

Working...
                              X