Do you need rego for a trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need rego for a trailer?

I bought a trailer a couple of years ago and then moved house. Didnt think about changing my address for the trailer when we moved.

Is there an annual rego fee for trailers which I have missed for the last couple of years which hasnt caught up to me because of the house move?
    Not my circus, not my monkeys

Short answer, yes. Trailers need to be registered. It has a numberplate doesn't it? Anything with a numberplate will require licencing

Comment

Yes it has a number plate, so obviously registered but the real question is whether or not there is an annual fee
      Not my circus, not my monkeys

Comment

https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/w...countlookup/?2

punch the rego into this ^

Comment

renewal comes on the same form as the compulsory licence and 3rd party. That is your annual fee.

Comment

Yes, it works exactly like a car rego. Only much less.

Comment

if you haven't received the renewal for the lic and 3rd party for the last few years then it is currently unregistered.

edit: but you say you didn't change you address for the trailer... I woulda thunk DoT has a database - if you change your address it changes it for all vehicles? But I wouldn't assume anything with DoT...

Comment

And you'll have to take it over the pits to be renewed - which is a pain in the arse!

I'll give you a carton for it!

Comment

The renewal notices should have followed your license and car rego etc notification address when you moved.

If you've a plate on the trailer after a couple of years you'll have to go over the pits, re-register and probably have a fine waiting for you for failing to hand in the plate, too. Worth checking because if it's sitting there they won't let you renew your driver's license.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Did you transfer it into your name when you bought it.? If Not, you wouldn't have got the renewal.
                    What You See

Isn't always what you get

Comment

Just drive with it. What's the worst that could happen? A few speeding fines get sent to someone else?...

Comment

As there are stuff all police on the roads and they are just relying on cameras instead, I bet you could go though years of using it before getting picked up for not having a rego'd trailer. Probably save you a heap in speeding fines too.

Comment

I believe rego's and licenses are now linked but 3 years ago probably unlikely/incomplete. Having worked for DoT for a short time a few years ago, they are required to ask you words to the effect...."any other vehicles needing an address change as well". The most common vehicle forgotten were trailers.

Comment

If the trailer was registered to you, a notice to hand in the plates would have been sent to your last known address a couple of months after the rego expired. Failure to hand in the plates results in a fine. Failure to pay the fine can result in a fines suspension of licence.
                            The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

number plate = rego fees . pay up now = or big trouble . could be sued for everything

Comment

Working...
                              X