Religious Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Law

Well this was an interesting piece of research.

I was doing some background enquiries about the imminent possible parole of William Mitchell (See: Greenough Family Massacre) when I came upon an "Aussie Muslims" website - What struck me as interesting in the first few posts was the keen enthusiasm for the installation of Sharia Law - as it would be a better way of dealing with this type of criminal.

Greenough axe murderer William Mitchell could be freed from prison

Greenough Family Massacre

Let it be known that I do not intend this to be a discussion on 'religion per se', or blanket flaming of someone else's beliefs - as I believe all religion is bullshit - but it is certainly an interesting perspective on Australian society.

The details of the murder itself are apparently so horrific that much has been 'locked away' from the public eye.

While I believe that this man should be locked away for life and fed nothing but stale bread and water and regular pain infliction would be an added bonus, the discussion on the forum actually seems to lead with the presumption that we WILL eventually have Sharia law and we WILL eventually all be followers of Muhammad.

Let the discussion on religion and law begin.

Would Sharia-type law deal with this sort of thing better?

Are there other religions with other 'laws' that might be an improvement on the ye olde english common law practice?
    Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
    Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

fuck that
    just plain old capitol punishment if either 100% not a doubt like Martin bryant
    or the choice to die if a lifer
    either way Kill him, no need for any gods to play here !
    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
    (anarchy in english )

Comment

Clicked the link,
      only 6 posts about it.

the discussion on the forum actually seems to lead with the presumption that we WILL eventually have Sharia law and we WILL eventually all be followers of Muhammad.
      You got that from 6 posts?
      Maybe im not reading it right... what i got was people being disgusted that this guys being released after what he's done...
      And they think sharia law would have been more just in this case.

Now, im a muslim, but im not quite sure what they're talking about here in terms of sharia law.
      A good guage of their understanding would be to ask them exactly what facet of sharia law would be applicable here. You'll find most people (and defintly muslims) don't know exactly what sharia law is, (i know i don't).

How do you defien sharia law? (and no cheating by looking up wiki/google! Put down your own interpretation of it as you see it now.. see if it matches other folks... could be we all have the wrong end of the stick on it)

Anyway, im off to catch my flight back to scotland for a month... Will tune in later and see where this thread goes...

Comment

No.

In the same way that a Christian-based law system would be equally as bad.

On a womans wedding night: "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die." Deuteronomy 22:13-21

On rape: "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city." Deuteronomy 22:23-24

On disobedient children: "If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." Deuteronomy 21:18-21

For breaking the sabbath: "They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones.... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses." Numbers 15:32-56

Right [MENTION=5853]Jamathi[/MENTION] ?
        Originally posted by Desmo
        Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
          No.

In the same way that a Christian-based law system would be equally as bad.

On a womans wedding night: "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die." Deuteronomy 22:13-21

On rape: "If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city." Deuteronomy 22:23-24

On disobedient children: "If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." Deuteronomy 21:18-21

For breaking the sabbath: "They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones.... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses." Numbers 15:32-56

Right [MENTION=5853]Jamathi[/MENTION] ?
          That would be Judaism-based, not Christian-based.

See John 8:2-11

Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”
          '====
          //`
          -Magilla
          They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
          Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Yeah but Jesus said 'he who is without fault can cast the first stone' or something along those lines. So no stoning under Christianity anymore in theory.

Comment

Shari law ?

is that the one were the women have to wear burkas ? is the spelling right ?

that cover your whole head,face only showing?

never happen here.

maurice mead would go out of business

carnt have that shit happening here , what would all the ghey hairdressers get a living from too?

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

there is only one law that applies here;

Law of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not perfect but I'm very happy with the current system. You will notice there is no mention of religion or god. Law and religion should not be confused. I respect freedom of religion.

However in Australia one is separate from the other as it should be. Australian law overrides everything no matter what god or delusion you follow.

Comment

No religious law whatsoever of any faith and total separation of the law and religion and churches.

That crime was a week or so before a street circuit race meeting in Geraldton in 1993 or 1994 and I remember driving past the house with Police tapes everywhere. the house was a long way off the main road on the side of the hill on the east side.

The guy hacked the mum and children to death with an axe from memory.

As heinous as that crime was I'm not keen on barbaric punishments or death by hanging, stoning or burning at the stake. In a civilised society like ours I think people like that need to be taken out of our midst to protect the rest of us and detained and treated if possible so they can become some sort of a productive member of our community from inside the prison walls.

There's no turning back from capital punishment or chopping hands of the arms of thieves. Sometimes mistakes can be made and the wrong person is strung up.

They should be detained for life but even if they made number plates for our cars or made sleeping bags for the homeless at least they'd be contributing something.

Responding to a barbaric crime by inflicting the same sort of barbaric punishment doesn't achieve anything and studies have shown it doesn't make the victims or survivors feel any better.
                  I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                  2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Yep, as others have said religion and the law must be kept separate.
                    One law for everybody, many (or none) religions for everybody.

As for the axe murderer being paroled, no.

It won't happen - you see it all the time:
                    1. Heinous crime perpetrator becomes eligable for parole.
                    2. Media jump all over it saying he 'might be released' in order to whip up outrage and sell media.
                    3. Parole board deny parole.
                    4. Media claim credit for parole denial.

Granting parole hearings is about due process. Yes, some of the time inmates granted parole have committed serious crimes but multiple axe murdering is a few levels beyond that, and the parole board doesn't need ACA or the like to work it out.
                    It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

As I understand it there would have to be quite a few changes to the Federal Constitution before Sharia law took over and that would have to be done through referendums as well, it would also rely on the states basically being told to go forth and fornicate with themselves, ie there will be one law and that's it.

From memory (Muslim mate) punishment wise under sharia most of them are x amount of lashes, there is nothing about stoning, cutting hands and feet for theft, but for all of it there are pretty strict rules about evidence.
                      DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

Fuck that. Murder someone and disappear from society forever. I don't really care how its achieved, lethal injection, hanging, firing squad, locked in a windowless cell ... whatever ... who cares, as long as they are gone.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
                          fuck that
                          just plain old capitol punishment if either 100% not a doubt like Martin bryant
                          or the choice to die if a lifer
                          either way Kill him, no need for any gods to play here !
                          Everyone convicted in a court of law is found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
                          I've got two words for you- Andrew Mallard

capital punishment is not reversible..... which is a bit of a problem if YOU are caught in the wrong place at the wrong time!

As far as religion goes, I'd like to see it wiped out of every facet of human life- the biggest crooks in our world wear suits and ties, or frocks!
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Don't know enough about Sharia law to comment on its effectiveness or otherwise.

I think religion shouldn't be involved in law unless you want to swear on a Bible, Q'uaran, Star Wars comic, Bob Marley album or whatever you believe in.

As for Oz being subjected to Sharia, I am interested in the amount of countries who have been Islamic for centuries that do not have Sharia law "on the books". (I Googled it )

As for this bloke, I seem to remember at the time he was sentenced the grandmother of the first victim saying if she was alive and he was released he wouldn't make three steps out of the Gaol gate.
                            They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by peter600 View Post
                              Everyone convicted in a court of law is found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
                              I've got two words for you- Andrew Mallard

capital punishment is not reversible..... which is a bit of a problem if YOU are caught in the wrong place at the wrong time!

As far as religion goes, I'd like to see it wiped out of every facet of human life- the biggest crooks in our world wear suits and ties, or frocks!
                              I get that
                              However with Bryant there is no doupt, it could esily be written into the law as to what constatuits 100% no doupt, as to reasonable doupt !
                              Reading that it would open up a can of worms for the courts though.
                              But not impossible.
                              REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                              (anarchy in english )

Comment

Working...
                              X