No announcement yet.

What is in the Perth Telstra Building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is in the Perth Telstra Building?

You know the one, it has a skateboard ramp on top. What is it for? Is it full of massive amounts of equipment? The reason I ask is it has no windows so I always assumed it was designed to house exchanges or something rather than people. Was this ever the case and is it still the case?

Does it have heaps of offices full of pasty white glum telstra workers? Is it where they house all their Indian operators?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

You know those old radio valves that glowed?...a giant one of those.
    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Flux Capacitor.

S.
      Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Its just a giant exchange. The lack of windows is something to do with uber weather/fire protection.
        Can you help with foster care?
        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Flux Capacitor
          ^not far off

Hamsters and wheels and all kinds of tech are in that building for interconnecting voice, data and interwebs.
          The temperature must be kept very cool too the prevent the equipment from overheating and fire protection. Hence, no windows...well they are some on the southern side but are very small.

Toured the building in the late 90s. There were a couple of floors with staff...Directory assistance and 1100(faults). With all the changes, automation and restructures since then, those functions would have been moved to Sydney/Melbourne/India. So probably only a small team of technicians remain.

Its now co-tenanted by these guys.

team

Comment

NSA listening post.
            :stupid:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Explosion View Post
              Its just a giant exchange. The lack of windows is something to do with uber weather/fire protection.
              I used to work there for Telstra faults dept, you're right, it is mostly exchange equipment, only a few floors are inhabited by humans and it's the main exchange for WA - want to cut WA off? Knock that building over.

When I first started there, they gave us a tour of the place, it was designed with as few windows as possible to reduce atmospheric EM interference or keep out the EMP from the detonation of a nuclear device.
              DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

aaww

conspiracy theories about the CIA are way more interesting....................
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Venkman View Post
                  to reduce atmospheric EM interference or keep out the EMP from the detonation of a nuclear device.
                  The fact that its possibly right underneath the actual explosion?

I'm curious about its construction - Is it 'blast resistant', why build it in the middle of the city if your concerned about nuclear war during construction - why not build it in Northam or somewhere a little further from 'ground zero'?
                  Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                  Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

Originally posted by peter600 View Post
                    aaww

conspiracy theories about the CIA are way more interesting....................
                    It's not conspiracy theories if they are true..
                    :stupid:

Comment

What is in the Perth Telstra Building

I know your frustration with TELSTRA, we all have been there.
                      Seriously, what your planning , it aint worth it .
                      REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                      (anarchy in english )

Comment

Cheers all. Is the size of it redundant nowdays, have things gotten heaps smaller so the building doesnt need to be as big or is there now just heaps more stuff and so its as full as ever?
                        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by devolved View Post
                          The fact that its possibly right underneath the actual explosion?

I'm curious about its construction - Is it 'blast resistant', why build it in the middle of the city if your concerned about nuclear war during construction - why not build it in Northam or somewhere a little further from 'ground zero'?
                          From memory it was built in the late 70's, the building is resistant at best, no building will withstand a nuke at close range, building it in Northam or elsewhere will be about as useful as a broken light bulb, detonate a nuke in the upper atmosphere, the EMP will fry anything electronic, it will do just as much damage to your enemy
                          DO NOT TOUCH - Probably the most unsettling thing to read in braille.

Comment

And racks full of equipment aren't too worried about a view.... even less reason to have windows on an exchange!
                            Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Redfern View Post
                              Cheers all. Is the size of it redundant nowdays, have things gotten heaps smaller so the building doesnt need to be as big or is there now just heaps more stuff and so its as full as ever?
                              equipment constantly gets smaller, but you need so much more of it to keep up with population/business growth. and more power supply/batteries, more air cons, etc. plus there's the other carriers who want to get in the act blah blah blah. in short, the place is still packed, or at least it was 5 years ago
                              "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Working...
                              X