Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EOI on possible usage of detailing business

Yo peeps.

I have bought a new vehicle (a ute) and for reasons the more business minded of those out there will guess, I am going to start up a business that details motorcycles.

Now everyone knows that sometimes washing ya beast can be a royal pain in the ass and I know that I have often said shit I would love to get someone to wash my bike for me but then I think, nah not letting just anyone touch my pride and joy.

BUT if it was someone from the forum and someone I knew who loved bikes and treated his like a god, then I would be willing to let them do it, at least once to see the results.

SO my query is, how many here would be prepared to use such a service and what do people here think would be a reasonable charge, bearing in mind i clean bikes with a tooth brush, dry them and them wax and polish em and this usually takes between 2 and 3 hours depending on how dirty the bike is.

I am thinking along the lines of the following (but will have to firmly set prices once i work out all costs etc):

Basic wash, swing arm, wheel clean using wash n wax soap: $30
    Wash, wheel clean with separate wax/polish/plexus on black plastic parts: $40:
    Full detail including chain clean and relube: $60.

Give me your views please.

I think the prices are very reasonable...

Comment

In the past I've paid the price of a bottle of Drambuie for that sort of service, so $60 for the works is a great price.

Would you travel to wherever the bike's located (extra fee?), or want the bike brought to you?

Top idea. Good luck

Comment

Is your full detail going to include some of the detailing on Saf's list?

Saf's detailing (holiday money gathering)

WSS^^^^ Come to us or travel to you? I spose with the ute you're thinking of a come to you, would this include place of work? or are you thinking of after work hours/weekend?
        If you've put yourself in a position where someone has to see you in order for you to be safe -- to see you, and to give a fuck -- you've already blown it." -- Neal Stephenson,

Comment

Is your full detail going to include some of the detailing on Saf's list?

Saf's detailing (holiday money gathering)

WSS^^^^ Come to us or travel to you? I spose with the ute you're thinking of a come to you, would this include place of work? or are you thinking of after work hours/weekend?
          [/b]
          Greasing pegs and levers is a servicing item so wont be doing that.

If the battery is easy accessible, i can organise a water dispercing spray no probs.

Chain clean and regrease will be using Kettenmax ( http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/boar...showtopic=19575 )

Re time of cleaning, I aint giving up this lawyering game so it will be strictly weekends, I can come to you in metro area, outside metro area (ie past Clarkson to the North and past Kwinana to south will incur additional travel fee of say $20)

Cheers

Comment

Simon, I posted this very subject as Onyerbike has just dug up some time ago .... i never had one job out of it, and only one reply of interest on psb.

I get bikes to great detail, but people dont usually see it for that when they have to pay for it. I myself used to think like this too .... i would do all my own cars and so on. One day we stumbled across the best one man operation in the car detailing industry , and its amazing when i let him do his job once every 4 or so times i do it, how easy it is to maintain afterwards.

But yea ... the idea is there, people allways complain about having filty bikes, some dont know how to clean them well or dont have the facilities, yet wont really be keen to have it done.

As far as greasing pegs and levers , pivot points etc, you may see it as a service item, but when you wash a bike down, commonly these areas have a buildup of old grease, sand and other shit that now looks liek a black paste, that needs to go , and you dont hand a customer back a bike with dry or non lubricated pivot points. You may see it as servicing, i see it as detailing.

Comment

Prices sound very reasonable, Simon! My bike needs a good clean at the moment but I can't be farked doing it - when are you in business!
              I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

As far as greasing pegs and levers , pivot points etc, you may see it as a service item, but when you wash a bike down, commonly these areas have a buildup of old grease, sand and other shit that now looks liek a black paste, that needs to go , and you dont hand a customer back a bike with dry or non lubricated pivot points. You may see it as servicing, i see it as detailing.
                [/b]
                Fair enough, now that you point that out, i have changed my mind on that issue, how hard can it be.

The other idea I was toying with was recovery, ie if a bike breaks down i can go out and grab it, not smash recovery, just break down, dont want me new ute covered in oil and shite!

Comment

There's the indemnity issue for you to consider too, like scratches, scrapes, accident damage, etc. Then again seeing as you're in the "lawyering business" you've probably got that covered already?

Comment

There's the indemnity issue for you to consider too, like scratches, scrapes, accident damage, etc. Then again seeing as you're in the "lawyering business" you've probably got that covered already?
                    [/b]
                    yes I have checked out limited liabililty property insurance up to $40,000. Yet another deduction

Comment

Fair enough, now that you point that out, i have changed my mind on that issue, how hard can it be.

The other idea I was toying with was recovery, ie if a bike breaks down i can go out and grab it, not smash recovery, just break down, dont want me new ute covered in oil and shite!
                      [/b]

not being smart or anything Simon but carting bikes in the back of a ute as a profession wont be covered under your normal vehicles insurance, hence you would have to get extra for it plus on top of that liabiliy insurance THEN you need to work out how much liability (currently I have I think it is 3/4 million on all trucks)
                      Dont get me wrong I not knocking you just soooo many unknowns come into it like how are you going to get said dead bikes up and in the back of ute eg by you pushing ? or mechanical , if by you pushing what happens if something goes wrong and believe me in 25 years of doing thisa it does will you have medical insurance?

Sometimes mate it is unbelievable the hidden traps as I said DONT get me wrong good idea but a bit more of a look see at what you might have to do and what could be the worse thing to happen hence a chat with someone who does it or similiar might help

On a lighter note do you have any idea what you would like to be doing as I know a few places after people for varying and different things ?

The bike detailing would be great But at the moment I wouldnt be of need of it to be honest, TRUCK cleaning different matter lol.

If I catch up with you on a ride Simon will have a chat with you over a couple things

Comment

When can you start? Real keen for this service.

Comment

haha Ute arrives 17 May 06.

Sabre i hear ya mate... All i want in these times of rising petrol costs is a business that i can run outside my lawyering that i can claim a percentage of the vehicle running and maintaining costs!

The detailing business was one I thought would be sweet and if I only did 2 bikes a weekend on a Saturday that would be sufficient cos i dont want it to make a profit as I already pay way too much income tax!

No this is not tax avoidance...... !

Comment

I'd be keen...and I am at the northern extremity!
                            Originally posted by Viper
                            I'm probably fucking something up.
                            FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                            Administrator

Comment

I think $60 is cheap as.

I've got 2 x bikes waiting!!

Comment

Working...
                              X