Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween ... I don't Get it!

I think I'm showing my age.

I took the dog for a walk at about 6.00pm and I've never seen so many parents walking around with their kiddies in costumes dressed as witches, zombies, mummy's, ghouls etc. There were even groups of teenagers in their mid teens in costumes. I would have thought they were too old for it.

It seems the marketing people have done a great job as apparently the shops are full of Halloween merchandise and places like Red Dot have all the costumes for sale. There were even houses around the area with Halloween decorations.

Halloween is not an Australian cultural event so it's slowly worked it's way in from the USA. Are we becoming the 51st State of the USA?

Do others go along with it or do you find it annoying?
    I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
    2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

It shits me to tears. If it was just the UK Halloween traditions spreading I'd be relatively OK with it. It's the bullshit commercial Americanized (sic) side to it that gets to me.
      Fortunately the kids in my suburb have either stopped doing it or word has spread about that creepy bloke on the hill. If I had to deal with kids, I'd be getting a whole shitload of sugar free lollies and giving them all a shitload of them. Enjoy the laxative effect you little shits.

Comment

It's not an American invention but in fact derives from very very old Celtic times in Europe/Pomgolia. Religious nuttery, I reckon.
        Justine.... Always and Forever

Comment

You'll get over it after we have Thanksgiving on November 28.
          -

Comment

I was like you a bit reluctant with the Halloween celebration, but I was in Edinburgh a few years ago and it happened to be Halloween. We were a minority who didn't get dressed. The whole city was in party mode. That's my only experience with celebrating Halloween and what a great experience it was. I can't see that level of celebration/atmosphere working its way into Perth.

Comment

Annoying.

But I'm getting old, too
              Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn.

Comment

I prefer Halloween to Easter, Christmas and birthdays because it is socially acceptable to say "sorry I don't do Halloween" and it doesn't cost you a cent.

It is also one of the few times of the year you can give kids you don't know candy without being arrested.

Also I fucking hate singing happy birthday.

Comment

Isn't the older generation meant to whinge about kids not being outdoors?

It's something for families to do together and is over all a fun and happy event.

I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Comment

In our little estate it's a great chance for all the parents to catch up and the kids go nuts.
                    This is the first year my kids have done it and i was impressed.

Zombie footballer

My eldest went as a skull jester

Yeah it's an amurican piece of crap tradition but the kids get to dress up and if your local area is where everyone knows everyone then have some fun.
                    I think about sex every tits seconds.

Comment

When we were children the thought of trick or treating was attractive and we knew about it mainly from Disney comics and U.S. sitcoms.

Parents would laugh at us for even suggesting it after asking what it was.

Our children wanted to get involved but we were not at ease with asking strangers for tucker.

But then I don't celebrate Valentines day either.

Turns out it is based in Celtic and Christian celebrations.

Hallmark holidays, just reinforces my proposal that everyone should have four paid days off per year to celebrate their own religious views and cancel the public hols on Christmas and Easter.

I prefer this song Sventek. Strangely they came out the same year according to the interwebz.

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I love Halloween!! Absolutely love it! And kids love it! As a kid it came third only to my birthday and Christmas

Comment

[MENTION=10708]Phat109[/MENTION] What did the princess go as?
                          Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                            Our children wanted to get involved but we were not at ease with asking strangers for tucker.
                            I know lots of people who have this view, and what they do is send a text out to their mates asking if anyone's gunna have candy for trick-or-treaters and if they say yes, ask if you can bring your kids around. Then drive your kids to your friends places All the fun, none of the danger.

Comment

Originally posted by thatchick View Post
                              I love Halloween!! Absolutely love it! And kids love it! As a kid it came third only to my birthday and Christmas
                              You're from Samoa though aren't you? For most of us it is a pretty recent thing being introduced through television.
                              It's the Jehovah's Witness of the holiday world.
                              Also Valentine's Day can die in a fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X