Got good fabrication skills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got good fabrication skills?

Hey all, as you know, the MAD Ride has been and gone. I had reason to need to go to Shenton Park Rehab Hospital the other day. Actually it was about supplying them with RAM Mounts, to help people who are badly injured to mount their phones and tablets to their wheelchairs, beds, etc.

While I was there I spent a moment with Travis, who will be 17 in a couple of days. Travis was badly injured by a car about 14 weeks ago. The first 7 weeks were spent in intensive care and the last 7 have been spent in Rehab. I didn't feel right about asking the details of how he got in front of the car, so I didn't, and to be honest, even if he did something really stupid and it was ALL HIS FAULT, I don't care. Any discussion about that and you can go and fire it up on your own thread.

I was impressed that Travis and his mum were both just getting on with it as best they can. I have been told that Travis will never be carer free, so this looks like a bad break for him and doubtless his mum.

So I was asked to bring in some specific RAM Mounts parts, and I did that. I also brought some others I hadn't been asked for, and spent a moment with the OTs there. I did what I could to fit the mounts to Travis' chair, and they fitted better than anything that the OT had on hand. This equipment doesn't belong to the patients, so when I suggested we take a drill to it to get a perfect fit, that was not acceptable. The hospital needs the gear back, and they need it in the right shape to supply to someone who might have different needs.

Whether or not my own 16 year old has made me more susceptible to Travis' plight I can't say, but my next move will be to ask the OT to get me some drawings of the gear they're using, and to work with her to understand the mounting outcomes they're most likely to use. From there I'm eager to talk with PSBers who would have the skills to knock up something to make these mounts rock solid and workable, but in a way that can be removed and re purposed.

I don't think it's likely to need stuff as complex as CNCing, but my hand skills are only OK. Some of you could doubtless do a much better job, more quickly.

Registrations of interest either here or by PM are welcome, I'll know the scope of works within days I expect, but I'd like to hope every time we get a tricky mount we can propose a way to fix it, and respond to a need someone might have.

RAM Mounts will get materials as a contribution when necessary, but much of this might actually be doable with pieces from the workshop that would otherwise be considered scrap.

Questions or volunteers welcome.
    www.hurtlegear.com.au

bring drawings etc here when you have them thanks.

ive two fabricators who have the skills and a man who can CNC if needed.

NO charge.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Gold stars all around to you lot.

Comment

Brief update, this is as complex as you'd expect from a bureaucracy, but I'm getting links to the manufacturers, who will or won't help me out with dimensions, depending on how they feel. There's also a department in the hospital called Rehab Engineering, who I'm sure I can talk to to get dimensions when I need them.

The OT was pretty happy to hear this news, and she's convinced that on a regular basis, the gear will need to be fitted, so we're going to work out some kind of process to get a measure and order thing running, once we know the kind of need, and the kind of bed/ chair/ whatever that we're mounting stuff to, then we can figure out what differences are made by the patient's physiology (longer arms etc), and we'll know what needs to be built.

The other piece of update on this is that Travis has used his iPad almost constantly since Friday and is very happy with it. Until then whenever he wanted to use it someone on staff had to hold it for him, so staff are happy too. Win/ win.

I've had a PM as well as what's going on in the thread, so we already have a core of interested folks. Watch this space.
        www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

My Mrs is an OT, I can probably get some names of people to speak to if you want.

Comment

I'll see where we go for the moment, but as soon as I run into a need that I understand, you'll be getting a PM
            www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Nice work and happy to help were i can keep us in the loop re what ever you need

Comment

Got good fabrication skills?

I'm assuming these chairs have round tubular frames?

I can easily knock up some polypropylene clamps that will not damage the surface and will swivel.

Comment

The tube is generally box section. Actual dimensions will follow.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=7479]rharris[/MENTION], you made the call that got me involved with MAD Ride, so to some extent you're to blame for this. I'll keep you posted.
                  www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Sorry Not

There are a lot of very skilled people around here that are more than willing to help with this type of job well done for taking the lead and thanks for letting people help

Comment

I'm not at the cnc level but have a fairly good shed and a practical approach, feel free to give me a shout if you want a hand, I'm more of a work thru issues in real time rather than a heap of drawings kind of guy but can fabricate to order if needed

Comment

I'm fairly good with a welder and have both a lot of spare time during business hours and a lot of spare steel.Let me know if i can be of assistance, any time.
                        Originally posted by tank-wombat
                        Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
                        ----------------------------------------
                        TRX 850.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurtlegear View Post
                          Brief update, this is as complex as you'd expect from a bureaucracy, but I'm getting links to the manufacturers, who will or won't help me out with dimensions, depending on how they feel. There's also a department in the hospital called Rehab Engineering, who I'm sure I can talk to to get dimensions when I need them.

The OT was pretty happy to hear this news, and she's convinced that on a regular basis, the gear will need to be fitted, so we're going to work out some kind of process to get a measure and order thing running, once we know the kind of need, and the kind of bed/ chair/ whatever that we're mounting stuff to, then we can figure out what differences are made by the patient's physiology (longer arms etc), and we'll know what needs to be built.

The other piece of update on this is that Travis has used his iPad almost constantly since Friday and is very happy with it. Until then whenever he wanted to use it someone on staff had to hold it for him, so staff are happy too. Win/ win.

I've had a PM as well as what's going on in the thread, so we already have a core of interested folks. Watch this space.

if needed, we can call a halt for a coupla hrs on bike and car repairs to view and measure said item. i'd actually like to see it in use and the mods needed

you might need to get "permission to board" for us

not trying to steal anybody's thunder here,just hoping to streamline the process and make it days and not weeks for a result.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Having seen the process, and had some more time to think about this, I've imagined that the fix for Travis' mount would comprise some rubber from a failed inner tube, 2 hose clamps, and about 400mm flat bar with 3 right angle bends in it, plus a threaded hole at one end. (Plus a coat of paint)

Where we are now though, is that we'll have to wait a moment until the organisation catches up. Staff are very keen to see progress, but we know how big places work, I'd expect a few more days.

[MENTION=8418]potato[/MENTION] , and anyone else who's really keen, I'd love to get you down there, and in my mind, maybe the next time there's a slightly different need, one of the collaborators will go down there and get a little vision of what needs to be achieved. That sadly happens pretty often.

What's really great about this is that there is probably a handful of core designs that'll be needed and then we can work with the OTs to see if there's a "Job Card" type process where they can measure the person/ need, and we can all have a common language to do something valuable.

Given that I'm crap with a hammer and a torch, but OK with words and negotiations, I'm eager to keep the thing a little controlled at the moment and not flood them with too many people too eager to help, but I also got a feel that they kind of like new people coming in to interact with patients, so as long as we remember it's a work space, I reckon there will be plenty of opportunity for individuals to go down and see what they've made, help fit one, ask someone about anything else they might need.

It's a sobering moment for us.
                            www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Gidday all, just a bump to let you know I haven't forgotten this. I'm well aware that the OTs at the hospital are really busy, so I've let them have a moment. After the thing had gone maybe 2 weeks, I sent my imagination of a (really not technically accurate) drawing about how the first one might work.

A week later, i hadn't heard, and I've put another call in to the OT concerned.

My drawing had been useful in that she had found the first reason it wouldn't work. The arm rest we were working with was actually hinged, I just hadn't seen it work, so I hadn't allowed for it. When the arm rest swings out of the way, the mount would have been sitting there in the way.

So where we are is
                              1 - our OT is apologetic about the delay, but she's onto it.
                              2 - she's agreed to take photos of the chairs that the gear will be mounted to.
                              3 - I've asked that when she takes photos, she'll include a ruler for scale, so that the engineering minds involved will no about the gauges to use and the stresses involved.
                              4 - the 3 ram mount products I took up there appear to be working really well and they're very happy with that function at that end.
                              5 - I'm not feeling very patient, but I have to accept that they're really busy and they DO want it to all work out, so things are on their way.

Stand by crew.
                              www.hurtlegear.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X