Binned it... My first drop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binned it... My first drop!

This morning, I dropped my bike and had an encounter with sliding along tarmac, for the first time.

Fortunately for me, it wasnt on my Daytona. I was on my (newish) pushbike. Unfortunately for me, there was nothing but a stretched piece of lycra and the hairs on my body between me and the road (and I am sure some would say I probably deserved it for being one of those lycra wearing pansies)!

Been riding on a new roadbike for the past month and a bit. Mostly commuting to work, but often get out for a little trundle early on the weekends. This morning, I went on my first 50k ride and was doing pretty well (62k's when I crashed back to Earth). Havent ridden that far before and was on my way home. I was getting tired and I made a silly mistake.

Reached down to my bidon to grab my water bottle and I got ahold of it but it kinda slipped and I dropped it. Not too sure why (most likely just a first reaction) but I tried to catch it. My very dramatic shift of weight unsettled the bike and I just so happened to be wheeling along a greasy/oily patch on the road. Bike kinda tank-slappered and before I could react, I was sliding along the road (still half clipped into the bike). Took a couple chunks of bark off an elbow, knee, some fingers, a palm and iv got some lycra rash on my thigh, haha.

In a strange sense, I am kinda glad I have got my first stack out the way. I am even happier that it was on a pushbike and only moving at 35-ish km's an hour, as opposed to faster on a motorbike. It'll be cheaper to fix the pushy (probably a couple hundred bucks) than a motorbike might have been, too. Bit devo that I threw myself and a $3k pushbike down the road, trying to save a $10 drink bottle though. Ill be letting the bottle go and doubling back in future.

Been a bit sore this arvo, but I guess its a mild reminder that I wont be riding the Triumph in any less than a jacket & jeans this summer. Could have been a fair bit more painful at double the speed! Hopefully back on the bike without too much drama shortly.

Yyeeeeooucch! That looks nasty glad it's nothing bone breaking at least

Comment

nasty - thats one reason to shave the legs, so the hair doesn't get in there, carry dust and dirt and infect it ( folicculitise ) , easy to tape up too

oh, and the chicks dig it
      I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Owwies. Fixomul that shit! And nice jocks.
        AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

I've chucked my pushy down the road a couple times too, I find it different to the motorbike, a couple scuffs here and there on the pushy just add to the character of it.

God I need to get back into riding my pushy...

Comment

Back in my prime years of 12 to 21 years old, I would "bin" my skateboard on a weekly basis with results similar to above.

My tip is, bandage them prior to bed time.

So many painful moments of sheets having to get pulled off open wounds.

Comment

Fixomull.
              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

I'm 27, still bin my skateboard weekly haha. The damage I've done to myself mountain biking over the years (wearing protective gear) really makes you realise how fragile we are. I'm glad I have been through it, I'm sure my ATGATT attitude would be different otherwise

Comment

Now I know why pushie riders have to wear helmets too!!
                  faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                    Back in my prime years of 12 to 21 years old, I would "bin" my skateboard on a weekly basis with results similar to above.

My tip is, bandage them prior to bed time.

So many painful moments of sheets having to get pulled off open wounds.
                    Not to mention having to explain the awkward blood stains that don't wash out.

Shaving helps 10 fold not just with peeling off the bandages but with infection. I had a slight infection once from a graze after a pushy tumble, was it from the hair? Who knows but I sure did keep it fresh after that incident.

Sometimes wounds are better off to be aired out too. But other times its best to be under a antibacterial cream, a bit hit and miss.

And a dip in the ocean works wonders for healing. I usually do it after a couple days to a couple weeks depending how bad the graze is. That salt water stuff is brilliant.

Comment

Ouch glad you are mostly ok dirty now go shave your legs :-P

Comment

yeah i remember flying orf a homemade jump ramp on a bmx once in a new estate with that chunky hot mix we get here
                        shit that hurt when the brick ramp collapsed and me chest surfed the road for what seemed eternity
                        i remember feeling sick and really shaking...i look back now and realize i musta been in shock
                        at the time i just got in the shower n circulated for half an hour
                        i was about 17 at the time and that was the last time me n the road got so intimate thankfully

i feel yu pain 32

Comment

If it's not too late and you haven't scabbed yet go to the chemist and get some sheets of mircropore. Cut out enough to cover the wound and stick it straight on. No creams or ointments. Change them every couple of days. You'll know when to change them when you put pressure around the wound and green stuff comes through the micropore like squeezing two saos together. To remove them pain free rub a little olive on before getting in the shower. Should come off quite easily. Keep applying the micropore until you see clean pink skin. You won't scar and you won't stick to sheets and you won't get that awful crack in the scab when you bend your joints that comes with gravel rash. If you've started to scab then it's probably too late and you'll have to deal with the above. Had a pretty bad stack a decade ago and the hospital dressed my wounds thusly. Wouldn't even know I was missing so much skin the scars are mostly nonexistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Saige3011 View Post
                            You'll know when to change them when you put pressure around the wound and green stuff comes through the micropore like squeezing two saos together.
                            Ohh tasty

Also, has no one thought of the treadly in all of this?! Is she ok?
                            I'm lucky that my only drop has been while slowly coming into my driveway.. I've learnt to unclip my shoes before coming to a stop now

Comment

Faaaarrrk, looks painful! Hope you heal quick!
                              I live with fear everyday, but sometimes, she lets me race!

Comment

Working...
                              X