Worst Car of 2004 (Help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Car of 2004 (Help!)

According those Clarkson fella at Top Gear my beast isn't very good.

Pretty sure they're wrong, it's a speed demon, when it works...Which leads me to my question.

Recently it just idles out, often following sick braking maneuvers, or while sitting at lights. Then I'm left with the embarrassment of taking off in a car that has just pretty sneakily stalled.
    Could this be as simple as dirty fuel or something more sinister?

Thanks brains trust!

Oops deets.
    1.6L Manual. Makes no difference whether in neutral or in gear with clutch in.

Distributor?

Comment

Turbo lag? Nitrous bottle needs refilling?
      Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Idle on my ute was playing silly buggers, never dropping out completely but feeling like it was about to. Most often happened after heavy braking.

K-tec cleaned out the throttle body when I had it serviced and it runs silky smooth now, could be something similar.

Comment

body kits and big exhaust is required to unleash the beast...

here is an example of what Im thinking of...

and dont forget to have all the stickers of sponsors you dont have.... each sticker adds 100 hp
          "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Check the spark plugs, make sure they aren't fouled or burnt. Bung a new fuel filter in.

Start with the basics - a motor needs adequate fuel, air, compression and spark to run properly.
            Originally posted by tank-wombat
            Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
            ----------------------------------------
            TRX 850.

Comment

Needs more performance stickers and if that fails, learn to use the bloody clutch
              Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Set idle to four grand. Then use clutch to control amount of go.
                Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Neeed moar stickers!
                  But cheers for the ideas fellas.
                  Maybe soon I'll be less this.

Comment

granny shifting, not double clutching like you should?
                    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ge0ff View Post
                      Check the spark plugs, make sure they aren't fouled or burnt. Bung a new fuel filter in.

Start with the basics - a motor needs adequate fuel, air, compression and spark to run properly.
                      Ok, starting with basics, can you explain how dirty plugs would cause a car to stall after braking?

Comment

Originally posted by 96 View Post
                        granny shifting, not double clutching like you should?

Comment

?battery. Mine was doing a similar thing after sitting for months, fixed the problem with a simple service and topping up the battery and giving it a good charge
                          www.brandsense.com.au
                          sigpic

Comment

It shouldn't be the battery as I bought an RAC one about 2 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                              Ok, starting with basics, can you explain how dirty plugs would cause a car to stall after braking?
                              Well the fact i solved the exact problem described by OP by changing the spark plugs in my old mitsi gave me a slight inclination to suggest it. If a car is missing slightly, maybe due to fucked plugs, then it may not present itself so bad at higher RPM's when there's a bit more momentum and energy to keep things ticking. Maybe 2 strong cylinders compensating for 2 missing cylinders. At idle, say, after braking, the 2 strong cylinders wouldn't be able to compensate for 2 useless ones anymore.

It's a hypothetical and a pretty cheap exercise Desmo and if you can prove to me that it would be absolutely useless to even consider attempting to bother with it, then go for it. But you haven't exactly had a crack at helping the poor bloke yourself......so take your stereotypical crankypants crap somewhere else.
                              Originally posted by tank-wombat
                              Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
                              ----------------------------------------
                              TRX 850.

Comment

Working...
                              X