Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage ceiling collapsing! - help needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage ceiling collapsing! - help needed please.

Heya,

Looks like more work needs to be done here, returned home after a few months and just noticed the ceiling in the garage is slowly collapsing.
    Can someone work out how much work and cost would be involved to get it repaired? If YOU are in such business and could possibly come around and have a look i would appreciate, i live in Balga.
    I generally do jobs around the house myself but this i think needs to be done by a professional?

Thanks
    Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
    Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

I have some acrows you can borrow to hold it back in place, then you will need ceiling adhesive, ceiling screws, ceiling topping and paint. Or just the acrows to hold up the sheets while the builder of what looks like a new house comes over to fix whatever he overlooked. I would have a look at the rest of the house as well to make sure the same thing isn't getting set to happen there.

Edit - I had to re-do our entire house shortly after we moved in, but the building was 20 years at that point. It's easy enough to do yourself, but sanding the topping before painting is messy.
    Originally posted by Skut
    ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

[MENTION=5841]Machast[/MENTION] used to be the go to man

Comment

Call my Bro,

Rossi Rendering on 0402 two seven zero 688

he does celling and cornice work.

RR
        http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

Originally posted by RRossi View Post
          Call my Bro,

RR
          LOL... do you have a big family

anyone that will do a small roller door?
          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Going through this at our place at the moment. 30 years old.

Grab the Acrows and some board to hold it up.

If it ain't under warranty, you can locate the battens in the ceiling with a stud finder or by spotting the existing screws (if they've used them - are there holes where the screws have pulled through?), buy a bunch of trumpet headed screws from Bunnings and belt them in pairs, 50mm apart and offset one either side of the batten's centre line, about 300mm between pairs.

Screw heads need to be just a touch deeper than flush with the ceiling.

Wipe over 'em with plaster repair, sand and paint. Done.
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              Going through this at our place at the moment. 30 years old.

Grab the Acrows and some board to hold it up.

If it ain't under warranty, you can locate the battens in the ceiling with a stud finder or by spotting the existing screws (if they've used them - are there holes where the screws have pulled through?), buy a bunch of trumpet headed screws from Bunnings and belt them in pairs, 50mm apart and offset one either side of the batten's centre line, about 300mm between pairs.

Screw heads need to be just a touch deeper than flush with the ceiling.

Wipe over 'em with plaster repair, sand and paint. Done.
              This.

Also just a common sense note, that you should acrow them in a spot where the joists are, otherwise you may find you will acrow straight through the gyprock and be up for more repairs...

Comment

Also, do use an acrow to prop up a piece of board which will distribute the force across an area, otherwise the acrow head will just bash a hole through it anyway.
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Got the same issue in our 12 year old house; garage ceiling & master bedroom. I think it's just builders cheaping out on adhesive, but it's fkn annoying.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

One thing I was told when I had similar work done was to check above the plaster and see if any insulation is clear of the battens (unlikely in a garage area though).
                    PERFORMANCE TRAINING CENTRE

Comment

Depending on the age of the house (looks modern-ish with florentine bricks and gyprock in garage) then there is most likely insulation above.

Comment

Call my Bro,

RR
                        Thanks for posting this, I'll give him a call. Need a fairly large chunk of a patio ceiling replaced and having a prick of a time finding somebody to take money off me for it.
                        such comment
                        wow
                        many post

Comment

Originally posted by Todd B. Rexington View Post
                          Thanks for posting this, I'll give him a call. Need a fairly large chunk of a patio ceiling replaced and having a prick of a time finding somebody to take money off me for it.
                          He's in Sawyers Valley so will be close if your still in Mundaring,

he's not cheap but the job is done with minimum of fuss and mess and you wont feel raped or violated after he has gone,

its probably why he's always busy and has work?

RR
                          http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

He's in Sawyers Valley so will be close if your still in Mundaring,
                            You beauty
                            such comment
                            wow
                            many post

Comment

Originally posted by Sumfun4me View Post
                              Got the same issue in our 12 year old house; garage ceiling & master bedroom. I think it's just builders cheaping out on adhesive, but it's fkn annoying.
                              Gyprock is just paper on both sides and doesn't like to get wet, if it does then it fucks up quick and will spend the next few years getting worse and worse, the old plaster ceilings still hold up better than gyprock and repairs better and you can plaster strap it again just like new. I see lots of people plaster strap gyprock for repairs but it doesn't work well. If its water damaged its better to replace any effected sheets with new ones. That's the good bit about gyprock is that its cheap and easy to work with.

Comment

Working...
                              X