Friday Thread - Qantas 1000 workers to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Thread - Qantas 1000 workers to go

Shits me to tears to see knee jerk reactions of high powered intelligent people when faced with losses.

Cut all expensese beginning with the income of thousands of families is usually the first thought.

How about getting shit together in other areas such as finding ways to generate more income?

Discuss.

Go.
    Its all good on Ducati's

Newer aircraft less need ground staff due to less maintenance. Aussie labour costs are uncompetitive due to actions by our government.

Business != charity

Pretty much all there is to it.

Continuing to operate in an un-competitive manner in a market with very thin margins will just mean the entire company goes under.

Sucks, but there it is.

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
    How about getting shit together in other areas such as finding ways to generate more income?
    OK Einstein, what's your solution?
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

And other changes:

Qantas will start its new relationship with Emirates next April subject to ACCC approval and redirect all its London flights through Dubai.

The Frankfurt service will be terminated, with Qantas expecting its German customers to fly Emirates instead.

It also announced that it would improve its Singapore and Hong Kong schedules to better serve Asia connections, but the kangaroo route as it used to be known, is shot.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said he had been in discussions with his good friend Willie Walsh the CEO of British Airways and that he had agreed that it was the right time to wind up the joint services agreement with that airline.

Joyce hinted at changes in fleet strategy to Asia but did not immediately elaborate.

The announcement will turn members of the Emirates loyalty program into equal status members of the Qantas loyalty program and vice versa if approved.

The president of Emirates, Tim Clark, was quick to rule out oneworld membership for the Dubai carrier, which is now the largest international airline in the world.
      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

I was of the impression that they were making high profits on domestic flights and losses on international flights. The domestic part of the company effectively being used to prop up the areas where they couldn't compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Sventek View Post
          And other changes:
          Reaks of Joyce corruption to me.
          Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
            I was of the impression that they were making high profits on domestic flights and losses on international flights. The domestic part of the company effectively being used to prop up the areas where they couldn't compete.
            Would not surprise me, given that it's about the same price to fly domestically as it is to go a lot further to another country.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
              Reaks of Joyce corruption to me.
              In what way? Maybe I'm being stooged by commercial news but I'm seeing a CEO doing what he can to save a company.
              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Sacking the board and management is a position Dr Webber agrees with.
                He says the current strategy of more staff cuts will not fix many of the underlying problems.
                Qantas critics point finger at failed management decisions for airline's woes - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                  In what way? Maybe I'm being stooged by commercial news but I'm seeing a CEO doing what he can to save a company.
                  That's not the aussie tall poppy syndrome!

rabble rabble farken fat cat cunts takin our jobs! blahblah farken foreigners servicing our shit!

newsflash: well-run corporations will re-structure operations for the benefit of their shareholders. they are legally OBLIGATED to do so. if it is not profitable to run operations out of Australia, guess what happens?

Don't blame the management of the company, blame the fucktards running this place for their business-hostile policies.

Blame the population expecting handouts, social services, etc. That shit doesn't come for free. It is funded via taxes, levies, etc., that increase the cost of living, and therefore, increase the cost of employment here. You can't have all that shit and expect to be able to compete in the international market on commodity services that can be run anywhere. If you refuse to allow companies to restructure to compete, then they will close operations.

Comment

Oh... and before people start pulling figures like "Qantas did X billion in revenue last year!!" - look up the cost of something like, say - an A380.

They aren't cheap, will be depreciated over say 25 years and that doesn't even include the cost to run the thing.

Comment

in my opinion, people choose not to fly qantas (Domestic), they don't choose the competition - they default to it. They all have got shitty service from rude, self important flight staff, terrible in flight services and poor ground services.
                      Internationally, qantas is a farcical comparison to Emirates or Qatar (only flown them once). I can barely believe Emirates signed up to partner with these muppets. Every time I get on an Emirates flight, I know its going to be pleasant and the crew will be courteous and respect the fact that it is me that is paying their wages. With Qantas, I wonder which fuckhead is going to piss me off first by not getting me a water/beer/whatever, or interrupting me for "food" service when i just want to fucking close my eyes. Emirates have the simple 3 stickers - let me sleep/wake me for food/wake me for shopping.. I imagine they cost about 2c per passenger.

And thats why they will go tits up, nothing to do with price, maintentance, pilot wages, routes, or competition, but all because of themselves being so terrible at service.

Don't get me started on ground crew

Comment

the a380 is also an economical plane compared to 747's which makes the board decision delaying the purchace a bad move for example.

Comment

oh definitely, emirates is way better to fly on, but that's another issue entirely

Originally posted by buckinmad View Post
                          the a380 is also an economical plane compared to 747's which makes the board decision delaying the purchace a bad move for example.
                          Whilst this is true.... they're 400 million dollars (US, so likely 600m aussie? ). Each.

In uncertain times, taking on say half a billion in debt per new A380 may not be wise (seriously doubt they'd pay cash).

Sure, they're cheaper to run, but you just know they lose say 80 million in resale value as soon as you drive it off the lot...

Comment

I see it as one and the same issue. would happily pay a reasonable amount more to support qantas jobs if I knew I'd be treated respectfully and provided a quality product and service. However I'll never fly qantas again, they will not receive another cent of my money. If there is somewhere that is only accessible by qantas, then I guess I'll never see that place in my lifetime

My most recent example of Emirates service, they delayed the departure of an A380 because Amsterdam airport security wouldn't allow a bottle of burgundy to be gate checked. They (Emirates) had told me at baggage drop that it would be fine, and had every intention to honor that commitment at undoubtedly massive cost, because I was a customer. I got my wine.
                            That situation is inconceivable in my mind for Qantas

All this carry on about local jobs and aussie nationalism is just a bullshit precious mentality which will get us nowhere. I compete with motherfuckers on every continent on this earth for my job, and wouldn't have it any other way.
                            Last edited by Joe Shabadoo; 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

so you put yourself at a disadvantage for twelve months over your competitors isn't going to improve your bottom line even if it means investment.
                              most buisnesses can claim depreciation for investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X