Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA goverment establishes "Shark Kill Zones"

WA sets up shark 'kill zones' | News.com.au

"LARGE sharks that swim into designated "kill zones" near popular swimming and surfing beaches in Western Australia will be hunted by professional fishermen."

"Two 'Marine Monitored Areas', stretching 1km off shore from Quinns to Warnbro in the metro area, and Forest Beach to Cape Naturaliste and Prevelly in the state's south, will be established.

Any shark over three metres sighted in these areas will be automatically hunted by professional fishermen, who will have a licence to kill the animal."

So, any large sharks spotted aywhere within 1km of a 80+ km stretch of coast will automatically become legitimate targets to be killed without any justification.

But don't worry, because according to Troy Buswell, "This does not represent a culling of sharks". Bullshit.

This is appalling, knee-jerk politics at it's worst. There is no evidence to suggest that this strategy will be effective. Great white sharks are listed by the IUCN as a threatened species, and Tiger sharks as near-threatened, and yet our governemnt is giving a green light for the slaughter of any shark who dares swim in the wrong part of the ocean.

As someone who spends most of my life in the ocean, I am well aware of the risks of shark attacks, but I choose to accept those risks to do the things I love. The ocean is their home, not ours, and it is disgusting that the government is now proposing to kill a shark just for getting a little too close to the coast.

I've never been a big fan of Barnett anyway, but now I will never vote for the WA Liberal Party again until they publicly admit that this is an atrocious mistake, and publicly renounce this policy of indiscriminate killing of threatened species.

The palm to face ratio is approaching infinity with this one.

Fucking idiots.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Saw a bloke got bitten by a snake this morning when are we gonna go cull all them?
      PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

Those zones, shark measurements and information required for the kill are quite amusing.

"Oh look, a big white!"
        "Kill it!"
        "Oh, wait, its 2.97m and 1.02km offshore".
        "Phew, we are safe then".

What a load of shit. 11 fatal attacks in 10 years.

There would be what, 10 000 people in the water a day on the WA coast?
        That is 3 650 000 a year.

So in the last 10 years, people have entered the water on our coast 36 500 000 times for 11 fatalities.

I'll take those odds anyday.

Before anyone asks, yes, I surf/swim/spear/shit in the ocean at least once every day, year round.

Comment

Oh yeah.

Western Australians just lost the right to wear Sea Shepherds emblazoned gear or to criticize the Japanese for their whaling activities because we now have a government approved mandate to ignore protection status on a marine species when convenient.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Right. I'm going on safari to Africa and demand that the various governments there kill all of the wild animals so that I can wander freely and safely around their habitat.

I've seen a lot of bone-numbingly stupid political decisions in my time, but this one takes the cake.
            "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

This is an absolutely discgraceful decision by the supposed intelligent people who run our state. I wrote at least 4 different replies to this but I am speechless.
              Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

How do I apply for a hunting job?
                PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's an idea dont over fish the sea and cause slightly more than normal amount of sharks to come closer to the shore looking for food,

heres another idea dont swim in water that is sharks territory and then complain about shark trying to eat you becasue its hungry or takes a nibble to figure out what the fuck you are.
                    National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

More humans kill humans every year so can we kill those that do and any other humans that pose the same risk?

No because that would be wrong (apparently).

What makes us so fucking special on this planet? We're the worst thing that's ever happened to this planet. Cancerous.

Comment

This is Greg Norman's chance to finally do something important.
                        Originally posted by Ferris
                        I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo-Fo View Post
                          More humans kill humans every year so can we kill those that do and any other humans that pose the same risk?

No because that would be wrong (apparently).

What makes us so fucking special on this planet? We're the worst thing that's ever happened to this planet. Cancerous.
                          Homicides world wide 2012= 466078
                          Fatal shark attacks 1580-2013 = 484...
                          I think the wrong animal is getting culled.
                          PSN- DOOOM666

Comment

More Australian's have died in Bali in the last year than they have by shark attacks.

Sink Bali?
                            Originally posted by Ferris
                            I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Its about time.

Hippies save the world bullshit.

Fukn unbelievable it took this long.

Sick of suicidal rants from dumb fucks that want to swim with over 3mtr great whites in their natural habitat blah fuckn blah...
                              Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Working...
                              X