Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf

So PSB, anyone else play?

Played for the first time in 12 months, after playing every weekend for a couple of years, and the passion has reignited.

I am an absolute hack, best I ever shot was 89, but normally in the mid 90's over 18 holes.

Ideal sport for Perth, as there is never much surf for me, and it barely rains. Plus I may get frustrated but never bored as it would appear it takes a lifetime to get decent.

So if anyone of similar (lack of) skill is keen for a round on a Saturday, PM me.

Alternatively, with enough expressions of interest, we could do a PSB Invitational and throw in some kind of money raising scheme for a charity?

I haven't played for 15 years and even then we used to annoy the srs golfers by lining up five balls at some holes to see if we can get over the water hazard, so a big no from me and this;

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
      I am an absolute hack, best I ever shot was 89, but normally in the mid 90's over 18 holes.
      Mid 90's is no hack, anything sub 100 is decent.
      What handicap do you play off?

Keen, group golf days are always good fun

Comment

I'm about to go for 1st game back in 18 months, tomorrow up at Sun City where I was a member before..

Public courses on weekends are just feral, you need to go during week and at the right time otherwise it's just wait wait wait for the hackers.

I'm sure I'll be the hacker tomorrow though.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Blade View Post
          Mid 90's is no hack, anything sub 100 is decent.
          What handicap do you play off?

Keen, group golf days are always good fun
          Never sorted a handicap.

Sub 100 (just) is my average though. I think with regular time on the course I could get it down.

And yes, group golf is tops.

Comment

my missus got me a groupon voucher for freo 2 people ( iirc 9 holes), buggies, 100 balls for the range supposedly worth $92 for $20 not bad value

im down for a game but i dont score myself seeing as 10 strokes is the maximum allowed on any hole
            NEVER KNOWS BEST

Comment

Originally posted by Mo-Fo View Post
              I'm about to go for 1st game back in 18 months, tomorrow up at Sun City where I was a member before..

Public courses on weekends are just feral, you need to go during week and at the right time otherwise it's just wait wait wait for the hackers.

I'm sure I'll be the hacker tomorrow though.
              Our trick is taking the last tee off time on a Sunday. Seems to be quiet.

Tee'd off at Marangaroo on Sunday at 2pm and had no one in front or behind for the 9 holes we played.

Comment

How much does a decent set of second hand clubs cost?
                I used to hack away on the public courses in glasgow, but you could get a decent set of clubs for around 30 bucks there... not sure i could afford the clubs here.

Comment

I always enjoyed golf but at my level I can't justify the investment in decent gear.

Supa golf however, I crush that shit with iron fists.
                  Originally posted by Desmo
                  Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

My kit was $300 for a brand new set.

They are shit, but so am I, and I am a firm believer in only buying gear for anything that suits your skill level.

Gumtree has loads of 2nd hand clubs.

Comment

Mid 90's!! You are only giving away ~ a shot a hole. Thats not bad for someone that hasnt played for a year.
                      Id be lucky to shoot 100 - 105 on semi good day...

I love playing golf. Just being out on the course seems so serene and peaceful (until you shank into the trees!). I dont play enough to get better though, lucky to get out for a couple of rounds a year.

I get the feeling that you need to be out there at least once a week to start seeing some decent improvement and to get some touch into your game. I play football most of the year, which ties up a couple nights a week and almost a day on the weekends (Jan - Sept) and then when I can find a couple of hours to play, I have to weigh that up against being out on the bike or whatever. Between loving sleep, being a little time poor, trying to get stuff done around the house, trying to keep the missus happy and trying to make use of my bike, unfortunately golf is a little way down the pecking order.

Similar to most of my other social hobbies (motorbiking, cycling, golf etc.), iv got all the good gear!
                      Im one of those on the course, all the gear and no idea!

Definitely be keen for a hit if something is tee'd up though... Hurr!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty32 View Post
                        Mid 90's!! You are only giving away ~ a shot a hole. Thats not bad for someone that hasnt played for a year.
                        Id be lucky to shoot 100 - 105 on semi good day...

I love playing golf. Just being out on the course seems so serene and peaceful (until you shank into the trees!). I dont play enough to get better though, lucky to get out for a couple of rounds a year.

I get the feeling that you need to be out there at least once a week to start seeing some decent improvement and to get some touch into your game. I play football most of the year, which ties up a couple nights a week and almost a day on the weekends (Jan - Sept) and then when I can find a couple of hours to play, I have to weigh that up against being out on the bike or whatever. Between loving sleep, being a little time poor, trying to get stuff done around the house, trying to keep the missus happy and trying to make use of my bike, unfortunately golf is a little way down the pecking order.

Similar to most of my other social hobbies (motorbiking, cycling, golf etc.), iv got all the good gear!
                        Im one of those on the course, all the gear and no idea!

Definitely be keen for a hit if something is tee'd up though... Hurr!
                        Ditto, I surf a lot amongst other things. But come summer there isnt much around and I dont have the time to go down south.

When I did spend 3 years playing every weekend, I improved about 15 shots over 18 holes.

I think I might do an In the Loop for a round in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                          Our trick is taking the last tee off time on a Sunday. Seems to be quiet.

Tee'd off at Marangaroo on Sunday at 2pm and had no one in front or behind for the 9 holes we played.
                          To have a game where you're not held up at all is awesome because you get into a rhythm that suits your own game. I find that when I wait it's not just the waiting but I can't get into sync and find any decent form. Might try what you said next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo-Fo View Post
                            To have a game where you're not held up at all is awesome because you get into a rhythm that suits your own game. I find that when I wait it's not just the waiting but I can't get into sync and find any decent form. Might try what you said next time.
                            Yeh I agree.

My tee shots are generally shit, as I am waiting for someone else to clear out etc.

My fairway woods and irons are generally what get me ahead and pick up the distance, as I can do my quick routine without overthinking it. It's a fucked sport the ol' golf.

Definitely try the late tee off times on weekends. Mornings are bedlam as you mentioned.

Comment

One thing I always noted about 99% of weekend golfers is that if it's not a par 3 they all reach for the driver to smash the fuck out of it and get as much distance as poss.

I only use driver on wide par 4 & 5 fairways, other than that it's anything from 3 wood to 5 iron to tee off. I never use a tee either but that's just me.

The driver mostly in the bag method has saved me many times wasting my 2nd shot from the magoomba back on to the fairway.

That's Mo-Fo's whackfuck tip of the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X